Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Fabric, Sticker Shock >

Quilting Fabric, Sticker Shock

Quilting Fabric, Sticker Shock

Old 02-29-2012, 07:40 PM

I agree- LQS are up over $11 yd!!! Yikes. So I am sticking to my bargain shopping and sales.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:59 PM

i love quilt shop quality fabric and yes it is expensive starting at $10.99 per yard. joann's isnt close enough to me to shop their stores and i find some fabrics from hancocks that i like so online shopping has been a lifeline for me but the name brand fabrics can still cost around $9.00 online.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 PM

Holy cow! That's crazy! If fabrics go to $20 a yard I won't be buying much at all.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:58 AM

Guess we will have to budget and save in order to go fabric shopping in the future. Have to make sure to have a project in mind. Also we'll really have to take advantage of the bargains when we find them.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:05 AM

The states is nothing compared to overseas....the fabric here is 15-18 euro a meter. A meter is 35" so almost a yard and the dollar is way down. $1=.76 euro on a good day it changes daily. I have an APO so I get US shipping prices but those that don't, Quilting is crazy expensive if your not careful. Funny for international quilters even at those prices is cheap but then in some places like here there money goes further in the states! I pay 6.99 euro a spool of 2000 meter thread when I can find it here. I miss coupons and LQS and joanns!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:42 AM

If I had to buy fabric in England I'd never make anything, the cheapest good quality fabric here is a minimum of £7.99 which equates to about $13 per yard. Needless to say I buy most if not all of my fabric from the US online, or if they don't deliver to the UK thankfully I have a wonderful friend in CO who I get it shipped to and she ships it to me. Only problem I have is keeping the yardage down so I don't get stung with Customs taxes but even with that it's much cheaper to buy from the US. I really have no idea why fabric in the UK is such an astronomical price. Hubby dreads our visits to the US because he knows there's almost always an extra bag coming home with us full of goodies.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
The states is nothing compared to overseas....the fabric here is 15-18 euro a meter. A meter is 35" so almost a yard and the dollar is way down. $1=.76 euro on a good day it changes daily.
I don't know for sure about Germany, but in the rest of the world, a meter is 39.37"...not 35".
Old 03-01-2012, 05:55 AM

best regards to our international friends who follow their passion despite the cost. I applaud you. Where there is a will, there is a way.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:00 AM

Just an fyi - for reasonably priced fabric: I recently purchased online from http://www.5bucksayard.com and was VERY pleased. Nice fabric, lots of designs, great price and quick delivery.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by brit_kitty View Post
If I had to buy fabric in England I'd never make anything, the cheapest good quality fabric here is a minimum of £7.99 which equates to about $13 per yard. Needless to say I buy most if not all of my fabric from the US online, or if they don't deliver to the UK thankfully I have a wonderful friend in CO who I get it shipped to and she ships it to me. Only problem I have is keeping the yardage down so I don't get stung with Customs taxes but even with that it's much cheaper to buy from the US. I really have no idea why fabric in the UK is such an astronomical price. Hubby dreads our visits to the US because he knows there's almost always an extra bag coming home with us full of goodies.
My MIL visits every year from Sweden and brings a huge suitcase that she fills with fabric and takes home with her. She has a shopping list every year from her quilt guild and we march into Fabric Depot and she gleefully spends a few hundred dollars. The prices in Europe are quite high and the recent higher prices in the US are still lower than our counterparts overseas pay.