Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart - good and bad news >

Walmart - good and bad news

Walmart - good and bad news

Old 03-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

Wow I better run to ours then. The prices there are now $8 and I thought that was a lot.

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
our has some NEW fabrics that came in at $10+
Old 03-01-2012, 07:04 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Everything is going up and they expect the price of gas to go even higher.. so its no wonder our precious materials will go up too .. Truly wish someone would do something ..
Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 AM

I have pretty much started shopping the online route.I shop the sale fabrics and wait till they have free shipping.Several people have said they don't shop on line because they are concerned about the colors being true.I have not found that to be a problem.I guess the moral of the story is stock up before you retire and learn to be frugal.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:51 AM

Those places that only have a Walmart for fabric are thrilled to get the fabric back in the stores. I was in Mountain View AR back in October. It is a town of about 1500 people. I asked for some fabric to be cut and the cutest, jolly man came over from automotive and cut my 12 pieces for me. It was 9:00 on a Friday night. I took a photo of him doing it.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:54 AM

I buy fabric there all the time, but you do have to look, feel the fabric, like any where else to make sure it is good enough for quilts and other projects.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:10 AM

i have noticed the prices going up in fabric all over it is sad , thats all the more reason to hang on to scraps and pieces of material, so i will be making a lot more scrappy quilts
Old 03-01-2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
Well, for $8 and change I got the backing for a wall-hanging and at my LQS would have been $15 so ... better. Not a quality I'd wish for if something was going to be washed frequently, but for a wall hanging no problem.

My avatar is a nap set for a grandboy. Made it in August with fabric from Walmart at $4.44/yard. He had 2 sets through the fall so it was washed every couple of weeks and ... still looks as good as the day I made it. He now has 3 sets so it won't get washed even that often so may even make next year, too. The only one that hasn't done well is a pillowcase style nap-mat cover with flannel from Hobby Lobby - it has pilled and faded. It's the reason I made a 3rd set - that and Walmart had some Dallas Cowboy fabric and he LOVES the Dallas Cowboys! For these novelty fabrics that will be used only a short time - a year or two I consider a short time - I can spend $5/yd and be a happy camper. Now if I can just keep finding that $5/yard is the issue.....
I love the sleep set for your grandson. I made things for our grandson when we babysat for him his first 3 years. He loved cuddling up under them for his nap time. I went to Wal Mart also since his tastes changed about every six months--Thomas the train, Cars (the movie), John Deere tractors, and Dalmatian dogs! I loved the prices of the fabrics I found there and they washed up okay and lasted just as long as his interest. I'm just not one to go to the LQS for that type of project.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:27 PM

Have you Girlies checked out Connecting Threads?? Their in Washington State. I've been buying from them for 3 years and have never been disappointed. Very good service and fabric!! Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:29 PM

Have you Girlies checked out Connecting Threads?? Their in Washington State. I've been buying from them for 3 years and have never been disappointed. Very good service,good prices and fabric!! Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:54 PM

I just received an order placed with http://www.5bucksayard.com/. I was VERY pleased with the material and quick delivery. Easy website and lots of choices _ some as low as 2.99/yard!
Happy shopping