Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any Takers? >

Any Takers?

Any Takers?

Old 03-02-2012, 07:42 PM

Your's nothing compared to my mess of a stash. I am embarrassed, I won't even take a picture and post it that is how ashamed I am! My family threaten to call that show "Hoarders" and have them film my studio. I have shelves full of fabric and fabric on the floor that is knee deep (I am 5'1"). Fabric on the shelf is nicely folded, the floor is another matter!I have 10 large bins of fabric in my garage. I admit that I can open a quilt store with what I have. I keep saying that I am going to retire someday and really sit down and sew (7 more years if they don't mess with the retirement ages again). I do get out some quilts, wall hanging and table runners but not nearly as much as I really would like. Those sweet little grand kids keep getting in the way of my spare time, lol.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:10 PM

Hey, that's actually the first step- toss everything into a pile then sort into piles by colors. Then start the folding. You'll be so pleased when you're finished.

Best,
d
Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 PM

I think you copied my sewing space. LOL
Old 03-03-2012, 04:08 AM

Wish I was closer; I would come and fondle, errr, fold, your fabric.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:19 AM

Where in NYS do you reside?
Old 03-03-2012, 04:42 AM

Just poke in a bag and I'll pick it up, haha!!!
Old 03-03-2012, 04:54 AM
SEW

Take a small pile of fabric, right off the top, bring it into another room...maybe in front of the TV and fold what is in the pile. By removing/folding in another room you won't be visually overwhelmed by what needs to be done. Bring the folded fabric back into your room and put away. The 15 minute rule is a good way to keep at big task. You will begin to notice in short order all the progress you are making! Good luck!
Old 03-03-2012, 05:11 AM

I would also love to help. I enjoy organizing, my approach is clear out a small area, the laundry baskets was a good idea. Then turn your back to the bulk of it and only look at a small area at a time, while you fold and organize as you go. I use this approach of turning my back to the bulk of it when cleaning out the flower beds, I have a bad back and the whole of it overwhelms me! I work only on what's in front of me and before long it's done! Good luck!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:08 AM

Just take your 6 1/2" wide and a 3" wide ruler. Use 6 1/2 for larger fabrics and wrap around ruler. Slide ruler out half way, fold. Your now have a piece 6 1/2 x 22. Stacks well, can see what you have and fits on shelving nicely. Smaller pieces use the narrower ruler and do the same. You will have it done in no time. Can even do while watching tv. Have fun and show pictures when finished. Sort stacks as you go by color or type.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Bring in your laundry baskets and fill them with fabric. That will clear your nice long counter for the marathon. Take one piece off the top of the pile and smooth it out nicely on the counter. If it is still folded (selvages together) than fold it once more down lengthwise to get it to 11 inches. Lay your comic book cardboard at one end and start flipping it over until it is all on. Place your cute little mini bolt on the shelf. Proceed to the next piece until one laundry basket is empty or you run out of boards. Now take a break and come back later to do another basket. A job started, is a job half done!
amen to that. my dd came home for xmas and we did that to the fabric down here. this summer we will get to th eupstairs room and empty the big tubs. course a lot of that is still on the bolt, so that shouldm't take too long. It is what is already cut into squares that might take the longest to do. will need to put into see thru containers and maybe put a few dozen quilts into bags to sew and that will take care of those. she likes to sew and if we get the fabric for a quilt together she can take it back to WY and sew it when she wants. then bring it home and we can put it together.