Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Good News/ BAD NEWS/ Good News >

Good News/ BAD NEWS/ Good News

Good News/ BAD NEWS/ Good News

Old 01-12-2008, 11:38 PM

I had something like that happen, some years ago. I made whole cloth quilt as a charity project. I tried to line up the fabric and the batting and the backing. It was a lofty batting. It came out with more lumps than my first attempt at homemade gravy. life goes on. keep quilting. :D
Old 01-14-2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by kathy

tim, i'm impressed that you admitted that you would have cried, or was that just to make me feel better? ok, i showed you mine now you have to show us yours! roflmbo
My "triple chain (without the chain)" is complete. I need to wash and dry it myself. It has" Warm and White" in it, I hope it doesn't do what your wool one did. I'll take pictures of it when I give to Phoebe for her bed.

Not only would I have cried, I would have said a lot of things that would make a Marine blush.

That's sort of how I am.

tim in san jose
Old 01-14-2008, 02:58 PM

Kathy, your quilt is gorgeous, glad you could save it. Did you use Warm and Natural this time?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:08 PM

The quilt is beautiful, and more meaningful after all you have gone through in it's creation! I hope your FIL loves it.

I wanted to ask what size block you used for the blue squares. I'm going to do one in greens for my nephew's upcoming wedding and can't decide between 2 or 2 1/2 inch blocks.

Diane
Old 01-14-2008, 08:01 PM

Oh my! I'd have cried and stuck the thing in a box for at least a year. You were brave to tackle it right away.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:38 PM

I'd have tried to see if anybody else wanted it to fix! (Maybe.)

It's beautiful, and the others are right, you are a hero for undoing it and starting again! Your Mom too!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:58 AM

yes Diane I used Warm and White, it's wonderful, like a blanket. On the second go round, I used a 12wt thread and just made one diagonal line down the center of the chain and hand quilted around the designs on the solid blocks to make them puff up. I cut my strips at 2-1/2 so they finished at 2". I have been thinking of doing a green quilt too. I think if I use the Irish Chain for it I will fin a small print for those solid blocks and then lite, med. and dark for the chain.
We went to visit on Sunday so I could give him the quilt, he got teary eyed (he's 90). He saw the lable but I know he couldn't read it so my sister in law who lives with him is going to "notice" it and read it to him.
I could have done it without my mom but would probably still be working on it! Sometimes it would be hung and not moving but I made a lot of stitches before I noticed and those tiny things were very hard to get out.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:37 AM

Kathy....Your quilt is absolutly gorgeous...beautifull work....I am sorry about the misfortune with the dryer....I run once into a similar experience ..The dryers are "quilts killers".....I took off all the batting and reused the top.......
Hope you can save this quilt since you really did a great job...Good luck
Old 01-15-2008, 08:35 PM
bj

Kathy your quilt is beautiful. Your patience is admirable. Your work ethic is commendable. Your mom is wonderful to help you. I'm sorry you had the unfortunate wool experience, but what a prize you ended up with. And we all learned a valuable lesson vicariously! Makes me glad I'm allergic to wool and would never consider using it or I'd probably be in the "been there done that" category! Way to go!!!!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:03 AM

Never give up! Never surrender!

Kathy, Kathy, Kathy! You have earned So Much good Karma! Well done, You!