Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I won a raffle quilt.  Would everyone hate me if I sold it? >

I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 AM

Lets put a different perspective on this:say you you win a quilt, you don't need it but it is a perfect match for your DD or sister's room. you decide to give it to her. Are these same people going to lay this guilt trip on you?? I doubt it. you don't owe the quild or any charity the money you make on selling it. you bought the ticket and won. end of story.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:20 AM

You absolutely have the "right" to sell it. It is yours, free and clear. Now how would you feel after you sell it? Would it bother you that your friends are displeased with you? If so, then do not sell it now. Wait a few more years. If it does not bother you, then do not worry about it. I think it might be more palatable to them if you gave it away instead of selling it.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:35 AM

Congrats on winning the quilt! If you sell it, just tell everyone you gave it to a family member.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:43 AM

I have purchased many raffle tickets over the years, but always put someone else's name on them ( my sisters mostly ). That way if my ticket is pulled I don't win a quilt I just let someone else!
If I were you and sold the quilt, I would donate the money to the quilt museum or some other quilting related thing. JMHO
Old 01-08-2012, 12:05 PM

You won the quilt, so it is yours to do with as you please. If you wanted to put it outside in the dog house, it's yours, so you can! However, I don't think you are asking enough for such a large quilt. Material alone is probably around $300 and the quilting could have cost even more than that. Look on esty.com and see what similar size/quality quilts are selling for and adjust your price accordingly. If it makes you feel better, donate the difference between the $600 you are thinking of asking for the quilt and what you get for the quilt to some charity you and the guild who made the quilt agree upon. But, you won the quilt and you can do whatever you want with it...and if the ladies in the quilt guild have a problem with it, it is their problem, not yours!!! Don't let them guilt you into doing something you don't want to do - not your duty to please everyone. Sell the quilt for $3,000 and you and hubby go on a wonderful trip!!!

Congrats on winning a quilt! I know I have purchased raffle tickets to quilts I would sell if I won too!!!

Last edited by Farm Quilter; 01-08-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:29 AM

There are already 145 responses to this - you can always tell a HOT topic!!! - but I need to share this STRONG RECOMMENDATION for quilt raffles or drawings: DRAW THREE TICKETS. When the quilt is delivered to the 1st winner, let them know that if for any reason the quilt they won "doesn't work out" to please advise the guild (give them a business card with the contact information of at least 3 members), who will be happy to pick up the quilt and pass it on to the second name drawn.

Our guild ran into this problem a few years back and there were a LOT of hurt feelings when it was sold. We developed this drawing method (kind of ike the 1st Runner-Up of Miss America) a few years back and we've actually had to fall back on it twice since then. The fact that the quilt was given back to the guild and passed onto another githful winner calmed a lot of turmoil before it got chance to crank up.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:44 AM

Wunder-Mar..that is a great suggestion. I am going to pass it on at our guild meeting. Our raffle quilt this year is dreadful in my opinion, but someone will love it !
Old 01-10-2012, 11:58 AM

I don`t agree with the above method,if I bought a ticket and mine was drawn first,i should get the quilt no matter what I do with it.Now if I elect to return it to the guild that is my decision,not the guild or someone else.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:27 PM

Sell it! Would you keep a pair of shoes or a dress that did not fit? Nope, so feel easy to let someone who would really want to buy it.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:02 PM

Just another thought...why would anyone have to be told anything? It is your quilt to do with as you please and does not have to be a topic of conversation. There should be no strings attached.

Originally Posted by probles View Post
You absolutely have the "right" to sell it. It is yours, free and clear. Now how would you feel after you sell it? Would it bother you that your friends are displeased with you? If so, then do not sell it now. Wait a few more years. If it does not bother you, then do not worry about it. I think it might be more palatable to them if you gave it away instead of selling it.