Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2 more purses >

2 more purses

2 more purses

Old 03-10-2012, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by marymay View Post
How much do you sale these for. Wonderful bags
Since I am selling a number of them to the resort, I said I would sell them for about $25.00- $30.00, depending on the size. Normally, I sell the purses/totes (like Bow Tucks etc) for $40.00.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch View Post
Those are so cute! Will those be sold in the restaurant? When are you going back? What stiffiner did you use to make the purses so perky and smooth? Thanks for sharing.
I am going back April 22nd, so need to make 6-8 more for the resort, and I have 6 to make for some ladies in the office next to the cafe (which I sent photos of ones I already made for styles, and they told me the colors they want and the style), so I have to make those too. The rest I already have made and NOT given away or sold (there are 23) I will take and set up a rack in the cafe to sell. I also have been asked to bring them into a boutique there to see if they want to buy some and sell them in their shop. Anyway, I will then bring any home that did not sell there, and continue making them and hopefully, find a craft fair and try to sell them. THEN, I want to get back to my quilts projects that are patiently waiting for my attention! I hope I don't burn out on making these purses/totes until I get all make that I need to!
Oh, and I used Pellon 987 Fusible fleece on both the outside fabric and the lining this time on both those totes for the resort. The stiff base I put in matching fabric, but it comes out for easy packing or washing.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by ellenmg View Post
What do you use for the bottom by way of stabilizer? Your bags are adorable!
I found some "Coroplast" polypropylene honeycomb board at Home Depot. It is cheap, and I cut it with an old rotary cutter and used blades. Then, I make a slip case in fabric to match the interior of the bag and stitch it in. In theses totes for the resort, I just put them in the bottom over the lining, so it can come out and pack easier and be washed. I make several of my purses with cardboard and fusible fleece and sewed them in under the lining, but now I have to take them all out and re-do them, because if you put anything heavy or load the purse, it bends the cardboard. Funny, that many of the patterns I have call for cardboard. Also, it is very humid in Vanuatu, so the humidity will be absorbed in the cardboard. Anyway, this Coroplast is stiff and plastic, so I don't think it will be a problem
Old 03-10-2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by maureenq View Post
your work is very professional. Thanks for showing us the inside, with the pockets and the magnet closure. Your handles look sturdy.
Thanks! I also made a matching tab with a clip on the end and sewed it in so you can clip your keys to it and not have to fumble around trying to find them. The tabs (you can see them hanging from the top on the inside) are long enough so you don't even need to unclip them to open the door if you just hold the bag up. I HATE having to search for my keys!
Old 03-10-2012, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
Your attention to detail (twin needle on top rim and handle and heirloom stitch on the other seams) really takes this bag from being cute to being extremely well made...a lesson that every needs to learn how to use their edge joiner foot. Well done!
Actually, that isn't done with a twin needed. I just used my 1/4" foot and eyeballed it to make two rows-plus the topstitching. I tried my walking foot, but something is wrong with it-I get uneven stitches, so I just went back to my 1/4" foot. Thanks for the compliments!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lystra View Post
Jill, I just bought the pattern for the Tahoe Tote yesterday! I really thought it had a zipper up top....i don't think I see one in yours...did you leave it out? just wondering. The bags are beautiful! I am so very tired of my old tote pattern so I just bought this pattern on a whim and was so excited to see someone else had already made it! Thanks for posting your pics.
I DO NOT DO ZIPPERS!!! Don't know why, but they scare me-they look confusing! Tahoe tote doesn't have one, but if it did, I would leave it out!! I just use magnetic closures or make a tab and button closing, or make a tab with magnetic closing and a button for decoration (which the larger bag has). It was a very easy pattern, but I skipped the part where they say how to stabilize the bottom-I didn't have the stuff the pattern called for, so I did a separate base to add in after the bag was sewn. I also used a light weight fusible interfacing on the inside pockets, which the pattern doesn't call for. I just like a bit of extra strength on the pockets. I also like to line the handles with fusible to give them a bit more strength.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:11 AM

They are fantastic and so much better quality than the commercially made ones. I like the fish one also especially the sole whale/shark on the top of the inside.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:13 AM

Those are really nice. I'm glad you have a place to sell them.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:16 AM

Default bag pattern

Would you mind telling me what pattern you used for the smaller one? My DIL wants one that looks like a bucket.

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill View Post
These are the first two totes I made for a resort's gift shop in Vanuatu-they wanted beachy themed fabrics-so I have been buying some on my shop hop and at Joann's. The larger one I made from the original pattern (smaller one), but I enlarged it and added a tab closing. Just realized I have the smaller bag turned around showing the back!! Oh well, it has the horizontal stripe across the front like in the larger one[ATTACH=CONFIG]318235[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]318236[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]318237[/ATTACH]
Old 03-10-2012, 08:18 AM

Absolutely adorable! Sooo cute! I just attended the Sew Expo in Puyallup, WA and one of the ladies that makes purses has manufactured Soft and Stable. She said people who make purses love it because it's soft, durable and stands up really well. They really held their shape well. It's not stiff but gives that appearance in her totes and purses. Take a look at her website-byannie.com. I was very impressed, I came home and removed my stiff stiffner and from my selvage bag (thanks again to you!) I'm replacing with Soft and Stable. She also said that one of her customer has cut her time down tremendously in her production because you don't have to iron it in! It's really nice, the totes are soft and comfortable and hold their shape really well. I can send you a sample if you would like. Just PM me.

I also use coroplast but I make sure the corragated goes across the bag for more stability. It's good stuff! I wrap all my fabrics on it as well. Since it very sturdy(cocoplast) even if the corragated runs length wise I'm sure it would be fine. I'm just very picky!

Last edited by Wine Woman; 03-10-2012 at 08:23 AM.