Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does your LQS do? Tear or cut? >

What does your LQS do? Tear or cut?

What does your LQS do? Tear or cut?

Old 08-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltrustler
In my shop I always cut. I also cut 37-38" yards so the fabric can be straightened if necessary. I find that if a fabric is torn I need to cut the ends anyway to take off the bruised edges. In Colorado there seems to be a movement in the shops to tear. One even charges an extra $2 PER YARD to cut it. I guess they think they are saving money on mats and blades, but they are losing business.
I'd come to your shop.

I would NOT go to the one that charges extra to cut the fabric. Wonder how many repeat customers they get?
Old 08-27-2009, 02:02 PM

same here. $2.00 extra per yard is robbery.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 PM

CUT
Old 08-27-2009, 09:13 PM

All our area lqs cut their fabrics. In fact, I've only been to one shop who tore my fabric and that was in Washington State. At the time, I thought the clerk might be a crack smoker and not allowed sharp objects. It seemed to be a pretty violent act on an innocent piece of fabric. Needless to say, didn't go back to the shop. But in reading all the comments, maybe she wasn't a drug addict or a danger to society in general :) Learn something new everyday.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by quiltrustler
In my shop I always cut. I also cut 37-38" yards so the fabric can be straightened if necessary. I find that if a fabric is torn I need to cut the ends anyway to take off the bruised edges. In Colorado there seems to be a movement in the shops to tear. One even charges an extra $2 PER YARD to cut it. I guess they think they are saving money on mats and blades, but they are losing business.
You are right! They would lose my business!! Guess they forgot to read that shop manual of how to service your customers!LOL Eventually they will get it when they are sitting w/all their fabric and no one to rip for:)Skeat
Old 08-30-2009, 12:22 PM

My part time job is in the fabric department of a local craft store. We cut all fabrics except Chiffon and Poly satin. We rip these because when these fabrics are on the bolts the ends are never even so by ripping these fabrics you establish an "Straight line" which you would not get by cutting. I was given this information by both of my senior co-workers who have many years experience working with fabrics. Hope this information helps.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:41 PM

If I am buying a fabric that is a stripe, check, or plaid, I prefer they tear.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pam B
If I am buying a fabric that is a stripe, check, or plaid, I prefer they tear.
If I had my druthers, I would like them to cut "along the line"
Old 11-02-2009, 07:34 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I'm reviving this thread because I'm hoping for more advice!

We normally carry only 44" fabrics... but one of the sales reps talked me into ordering a few bolts of their basic budget quilt backings.

And... well, are they ever wrapped crookedly. So much so, that, in all honesty, I'd have to allow an extra FOOT on every cut, just to assure that the customer gets the (good) amount they paid for.

So... is this an instance where torn really WOULD be better than cut? I could throw in, say, an extra 6" to make up for the torn edges. It would be better than giving away an extra foot.

But, of course, if the customer doesn't pre-wash the fabric, it will still appear very warped. (And do you suppose that everyone pre-washes their backings?)

What have your experiences been with regards to backing purchases? Do stores ever unfold it? (With the three folds in the fabric, crooked wrapping is multiplied.)

What's the right thing to do? I'd really appreciate everyone's thoughts.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

If it is wrapped that crooked, I think i would send it back. I buy wide backing all the time, and don't remember it ever being that crooked. maybe you just got a bad one.