Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has this happened to you? >

Has this happened to you?

Has this happened to you?

Old 04-18-2011, 11:38 AM

I han
d pieced and hand quilted my first quilt last year (BTW it was a queen size). I made some mistakes but I'm very proud of it. I started a desert nine patch (I ordered a kit) and started it a couple of months ago. Murphy's law kicked in! Nothing has gone right since the first cut and the first stitch. I'D THROW IT OUT BUT I'VE GOT TOO MUCH MONEY INVESTED IN IT. My only hope is that it will look better after it's quilted.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:40 AM

I think we all have had the experience. Hang in there. Maybe you should put it up for a while and try again later. And maybe it isn't as bad as you think.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:56 AM

So you are having some design alterations? Let is rest for a while if it is not behaving. Sometimes they behave after they are made to sit in a corner for a bit. :-)
Old 04-19-2011, 01:59 AM

I'm probably just overreacting but I think a little time out for me might be good idea. I'll wait a few days and some back to it.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:22 AM

It will be fine I am sure. All things seem to blend in once it is stitched and washed. Just finish it up, wash and dry it and put it away for a few days. When you take it out again I am sure you will love it!! :)

Rachel
Old 04-19-2011, 02:22 AM

Don't feel so bad. I think everyone has experienced this emotion at one time or another. My most tense time in quilting is picking out the pattern and finding the right fabric color to go with it. I audition so many fabrics that when it comes time to putting it all back, I cringe. I am usually very open to mixing several prints and I like to think I am getting better doing so with each quilt I make. However, I have had my moments when I felt burned out and just put everything away for a week or two. It's usually that time I pick up an interesting book (usually a romance novel)to just melt away the stress.

Put the project away for a while and work on something small and fun. Once you have finished it, the joy of a completed project will inspire you to go back to the other project and complete it. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:43 AM

I agree, put the quilt away for awhile, then when you pick it up, it should be better!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:28 AM

When I first started quilting I took a class in which we didn't even bring our machines. We learned the process in class and then were to go home and do the work. Well, after spending about $120 in material- I cut and sewed and struggled. My blocks were all wonky and finally i gave up swearing to go back to it someday because of the expence of the material. I finally 4 yrs later- just recently- put all the material into my strip n blocks scrap pile but i still stubbornly hang on to the wonky blocks! I think it's a right of passage! :oops:
Old 03-11-2012, 05:38 PM

I'm trying a pattern called the desert nine patch by Karen Montgomery with the same complaints and Im ready to burn it. I'm not a quitter and I'm an experienced quilter but this is the pattern from hell. Just wondered did you ever finish it?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:39 PM

I've been there, even though I don't hand quilt.