Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-12-2012, 02:08 AM
Power Poster

I have one of those springs. It works better than anything - I wouldn't part with mine. You can see everything you do - you do have to watch more for the needle. I have the original paper envelope it came in too. I have other darning feet but that one is the bomb. Too bad nobody makes them - I'd like one with a finger guard built in - I don't like vaccinations or blood donating. They fit over the needle and then over the turn screw for the needle holder - pretty easy.

I haven't weighted in on this yet. I haven't been ripped off or anything so I haven't commented. I would have to agree with Bares and company about recent posts. I think it was good to clear the air on it once and for all. We have a friend who will only buy and sell on the net with U.S. Postal Service Money Orders. That way if someone defrauds, well, it is a federal offense and the feds are a bit tougher on people who do that kind of thing. He keeps good track of what he does until a transaction is taken care of, photos help too. Don't sewing machines come with serial numbers? I think there are other safe methods of paying as well. It may serve well to have some kind of post on here some place about 'safe' buying and selling on the internet. Maybe google search that. There should be buying and selling here. We do have the good stuff. But let's play safe. Also it is good to have this out in the open so nobody else gets taken advantage of.

Last edited by miriam; 03-12-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
When it comes to Billy listen to Charlee for she knows what she is talking about. When I was in the furniture restoration business if I did something like this I would have gone to jail.
Then, I must ask...why haven't these ladies, gents, done something about it? I know I would have. And how well did they "know" him before sending their heirlooms to him? I apologize, Charlee. I've always tried to see the very best and not the worst in people, but if they hurt me once shame on them, twice shame on me. I've had nothing but exemplary service from Billy, and stand behind that. I'm sorry others feel "taken", but why stand for it? I'm now done defending my feelings and will not post another thread about it. Pretty hard for me to talk vintage machines without thinking of the one who started this thread in the first place. Sorry for having taken up the space.

You all have saved me from ditching some machines and I love each of them! But my house is full. While I covet one more, I'll be happy with what I have and should THE ONE pop up in front of me, I'll grab for it. If not, oh, well.

Perhaps the stools will be my next project(s). I have a couple but they are in great shape so won't mess with them, even tho I love what Candace has done. My feelers are out for others tho. I have two stools with seven cabinetted machines! Always dragging a chair or stool to a different machine.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Has anyone used one of these on their rotary machines to FMQ with? Anyone have an extra?
I watched my mother use one of these when I was a child. She has already given me her sewing machine in its cabinet, with all the drawers left as is (except her good ginghers). So I assume she left the spring in the drawer. I haven't searched for it, nor did I ever use it. Maybe now is a good time to do that!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Whew! I shoulda known you'd have it Miz Cathy! I've been frantically digging thru boxes...I have two boxes, but only one spring!

Looking at this one box, it's called a "buttonhole and darning tool" The box is kind of fun, would guess that it's ca. 1940? The complete list of directions say that you can use it for:

Button Hole Maker
Darns Hose
Mends Tears, Rips, etc.
Sews on Zippers
Quilting
Sews on Buttons
Binding Work
Applique Work
Overcasts Seams

The price was $1.00, Satisfaction Guaranteed!

Thanks for digging through boxes for me Charlee. I'll PM Cathy. Well, since satisfaction is guaranteed, I'm sure it'll work perfectly for FMQ! Giggle!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:00 AM

I did try the needle spring attachment that came with my 115... it's more of a hopping foot as opposed to being a spring, and I can say that our one encounter wasn't a very good one. It replaces the needle clamp. I will try it again at some date, altho it was kind of a bear to get on the machine!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]319202[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6568.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	319202  
Old 03-12-2012, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
Then, I must ask...why haven't these ladies, gents, done something about it? I know I would have. And how well did they "know" him before sending their heirlooms to him? I apologize, Charlee. I've always tried to see the very best and not the worst in people, but if they hurt me once shame on them, twice shame on me. I've had nothing but exemplary service from Billy, and stand behind that. I'm sorry others feel "taken", but why stand for it? I'm now done defending my feelings and will not post another thread about it. Pretty hard for me to talk vintage machines without thinking of the one who started this thread in the first place. Sorry for having taken up the space.

You all have saved me from ditching some machines and I love each of them! But my house is full. While I covet one more, I'll be happy with what I have and should THE ONE pop up in front of me, I'll grab for it. If not, oh, well.

Perhaps the stools will be my next project(s). I have a couple but they are in great shape so won't mess with them, even tho I love what Candace has done. My feelers are out for others tho. I have two stools with seven cabinetted machines! Always dragging a chair or stool to a different machine.
Randa, I'm in a similar situation. And let me tell you...there's pretty much nothing I can do but hope I get my machine back some day. It sucks! I'm not talking about Billy, I'm dealing with someone else that came highly recommended. But, a very similar situation. I sent my machine off 5 months ago(paid $50 for packing and mailing). Sent the money to fix it via paypal and I'm now out about $300ish. I got stories about sickness etc. maybe true, maybe not. But ads are still up accepting machines for repair. Now, my polite e-mails are being ignored.

There really is not much I can do. I didn't write down the serial #. Guess I should have. But, am I supposed to call the sheriff's department back east and report a sewing machine kidnapping or ?? Paypal coverage is long over. It's not a business per se but an individual, so I can't file a better business claim. And I can't stink too much or risk angering the person and for sure NEVER seeing my machine again.

It's a tough situation and I don't know what you think people in my spot can do. But, I'd love to hear suggestions.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 AM

Now, I do NOT need a whole collection. But, this is near me! http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-DO...#ht_500wt_1221

Wow....
Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 AM

Now, I do NOT need a whole collection. But, this is near me! http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-DO...#ht_500wt_1221

Wow....
Double wow!!!! What I wouldn't give to already have won the lotto!!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 AM

Randa, I'm in a similar situation. And let me tell you...there's pretty much nothing I can do but hope I get my machine back some day. It sucks! I'm not talking about Billy, I'm dealing with someone else that came highly recommended. But, a very similar situation. I sent my machine off 5 months ago(paid $50 for packing and mailing). Sent the money to fix it via paypal and I'm now out about $300ish. I got stories about sickness etc. maybe true, maybe not. But ads are still up accepting machines for repair. Now, my polite e-mails are being ignored.

There really is not much I can do. I didn't write down the serial #. Guess I should have. But, am I supposed to call the sheriff's department back east and report a sewing machine kidnapping or ?? Paypal coverage is long over. It's not a business per se but an individual, so I can't file a better business claim. And I can't stink too much or risk angering the person and for sure NEVER seeing my machine again.

It's a tough situation and I don't know what you think people in my spot can do. But, I'd love to hear suggestions.
I thought you fixed your own machines? What machine did you send off? And why?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 AM

Holy Cow (on the auction).

Please don't tar and feather me, but I brought home an older plastic wonder from Goodwill the other day. It's actually pretty clean and working well, but it had obviously been lubricated with something on the hard plastic cams (or maybe the gear underneath, hard to see it). After scraping most of it off, I wonder if I should put some new lubricant on the gear part of the cams. I wasn't sure with it not being metal, or even if it was supposed to be in the first place. It's a White 1099, so probably dates to the early 80s. I don't want to keep the machine, but would like to get it in good working order for someone who might actually use it.