Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Don't bother to make your own rulers!  Not a deal. . . >

Don't bother to make your own rulers! Not a deal. . .

Don't bother to make your own rulers! Not a deal. . .

Old 03-12-2012, 04:59 PM

Great ideas!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:20 PM

There are several types of plexiglass. I cut a lot of templates for myself with my scroll saw. I have used my band saw as well. The scroll saw does a little bit finer job. There are blades that have more teeth that are used for cutting plexiglass. I have had the plexi that melts also. My brother gives me his scraps of plexiglass - that works for me. The acrylic that I have purchased at Lowe's is not quite as thick but does an ok job. I think that the plexi runs around $100 for a 4' x 8' sheet at the glass store (tons of templates.) Like another member said, you can sand the plexi with fine grit sandpaper and it does a nice job.

HTH
Min
Old 03-12-2012, 05:32 PM

What do you mean by local plastics company? Am researching where to have templates cut. I read on one of the posts that Home Depot cut the acrylic. I'll definately have to ask them next time I'm in. Thank You!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 PM

My DH has cut several templates from plexiglass for me. One half sheet of plexiglass (4' X 4') will make a lot of templates. I have never had any templates cut by anyone else.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:46 PM

I need some made....care to make some templates for me, all sizes....

Please send me a private message!
Old 03-13-2012, 03:43 AM

I bought a 12"x18" piece of plastic at Lowes for about $6 and cut THREE different size twisters out of it. MYSELF. Just use a straightedge clamped down and the plexiglass knife (not expensive either) to cut groves in the plastic , then snap it. It comes off very smooth. Who needs a man?!?!?!
Old 03-13-2012, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Valerie Ann View Post
So yesterday, I went to my local plastics store because I wanted to have some rulers (templates) made. Large triangle, hexegon, and others were far more expensive than using my local Joanne's (50% off this week) or coupon. Interesting lesson that I thought I would share.
Unless you're lucky enough to have a son who is an architech and has acess to a laser cutter, he uses 1/8 to 1/4 inch plexi glass and can cut the sizes i need, including the 1/4 inch seam allowances is added on. I am so lucky, they come out beautiful
Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
I bought a 12"x18" piece of plastic at Lowes for about $6 and cut THREE different size twisters out of it. MYSELF. Just use a straightedge clamped down and the plexiglass knife (not expensive either) to cut groves in the plastic , then snap it. It comes off very smooth. Who needs a man?!?!?!
to grann of 6 You go girl, and what a boost to the ole self esteem.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:55 AM

And the local plastic shop like our local any shop needs patronage to feed the family. I often have used broken regular rulers for other purposes by cutting my own with a scroll saw. Just use real masking tape on both sides of the plastic, mark your line(s) and cut away. Remove masking tape. Buff with emory paper ( finest grit sand paper) Wipe with a microfiber cloth and back in business.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:05 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by pippi65 View Post
You DON'T WANT to put alcohol on plexiglass...it makes it cloudy. I speak from an expensive mistake that my DH made. He tried to "clean" it before he put it in the frame and it went all white where he wiped it.
I like your signature! "Be kinder than necessary, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."