Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 03-12-2012, 06:25 AM

I embroider the blocks before joining.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:55 AM

Laura59, if you've made quilts with embroidered blocks, what stabilizer do you use?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:04 AM

I used a tearaway. I don't make the quilts. I digitize designs, then test stitch them. The sew-outs, I give to one of the ladies in our car club. She takes them to the senior center and they use them to make quilts for charity. I asked her if the stabilizer I use is okay and she said that there is no problem. Wish I had the time to make a quilt using each set of designs I have done. Just finished stitching up a couple of sets of airplanes and ships. She said they need more things for boys and men.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
do you embroider the blocks before you join them when making a quilt??
The blocks are embroidered before you join them to other blocks.

I am also reading up on Quilt as You Go. This way I can embroider and quilt my blocks on the embroidery machine then join them with sashing. I haven't tried this yet but hope to soon.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:57 AM

When using a tearaway stabilizer for quilted blocks, won't the embroidery get wrinkled and wonky-looking after washing? Has anyone used other stabilizers that help keep the embroidery flat and neat? Maybe a lightweight leave-in one?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:11 AM

You sound as if you are new to machine embroidery. For your peace of mind, embroider your design (block)
onto something else such as a pillowcase pair. Use a wash-away stabilizer on one and a tear-away on the other. Then wash both. Compare results.

I would also leave my block about 4 inches larger than needed when I embroider. The embroider will frequently shrink the block.

Last edited by TanyaL; 03-14-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Leigh74 View Post
I have a Viking and hardly ever embroider. I've taken classes and can do the basics but there's so much to learn and remember. I need to start using it more. The one project I'm going to begin is a baby quilt with embroidered blocks that have ABC's/pictures. I'm not sure what stabilizer to use. The quilt will be machine washed and I worry about the embroidery looking all wrinkled and wonky. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Viking has alot of information on it's site about stabilizers and such and also emblibrary.com also has videos, projects, ect to help you learn. I have a Viking Ruby that I'm still learning on.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:03 AM

Re: stabilizers....Thanks for the replies/suggestions. I'm a novice and just wanted to tap into the knowledge provided on this board. My dealer told me to use tear away yet the emblibrary site says cutaway....so I turned to you guys. I'll experiment on a few blocks and see what tests out better.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Leigh74 View Post
I have a Viking and hardly ever embroider. I've taken classes and can do the basics but there's so much to learn an

d remember. I need to start using it more. The one project I'm going to begin is a baby quilt with embroidered
blocks that have ABC's/pictures. I'm not sure what stabilizer to use. The quilt will be machine washed and I worry
about the embroidery looking all wrinkled and wonky. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Florani has a nice iron on stabilizer that keeps the fabric from streching when you hoop it. Tear away when the design is none. Keeps it from Puckering.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 AM

I have the Janome,Had it about a year and a half, have yet to try any embroidery, and that is what I really wanted it for! I just sort of feel at a lose to do anything. Need to know about stabilizers, threads, hooping, all of it!!And Karen, if there is anyone who can and will find all the answers, it would be you!! So a thread about this would be great.