Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutter Injury Protection >

Rotary Cutter Injury Protection

Rotary Cutter Injury Protection

Old 03-14-2012, 04:50 AM

I have 2 sizes of these gloves they are called Klutz gloves. I have them for my grandkids to use don't want them cutting theirselves... I have a friend that has the clear guard on her rullers to save her from cutting herself again...
good luck finding what works for you.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:11 AM

I am not sure about these gloves that are out there but I have used a chef's philosphy and curled my fingers up to the tips and held the ruler with the tips of my fingers and kept that hand far enough in to the ruler that my rotary cutter is in no way shape or form going to get to my hands. I also have a neat trick that works well for me and put my pinky finger out over the left far edge of the ruler to hold it steady. That way your ruler is held steady and the rest of your fingers will be out of harms way......hopefully.
Hope your finger gets to feeling better really soon.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:12 AM

Putting that glove on and off would be a pain in the neck. My suggestion is get the ruler guards and keep your fingers behind them. They're easy to apply. Also, if you keep your pinkie just off the back edge of the ruler (providing it's no bigger than 6 1/2", that not only keeps your fingers out of the way, but also stablizes your ruler so it doesn't move around. Sorry you hurt yourself. Does it get you out of dishes?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:14 AM

after cutting mine I have a habit if folding the index finger down and holding my hand at a slight angle and press down a bit more but my fingers thank me now
Old 03-14-2012, 05:15 AM

A dear friend of mine cut her index finger last year and had 9 stitches in it! She actually damaged the nerves but still has use of her finger. I have been very careful since then but feel the glove might be a good idea! Hope you heal fast! Take care everyone using the rotary cutters!
Old 03-14-2012, 05:30 AM

Fons and Porter makes them. They're called klutz gloves.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:08 AM

Oh Dear! That is just awful! I know because I took the end of my finger off with a rotary cutter once too. It hurts like the dickens and the bleeding is unbelievable! And to have experienced this twice, Oh poor You! I am cringing for you! Some of these products people have recommended look like they would really work. You could also try keeping your fingertips curled under like chefs do when they are chopping. Hope you feel better soon and that your finger heals up very well!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:15 AM

I just wanted to add this link that I found while trying to find out more about the Klutz Glove:
http://www.quiltinaday.com/community...=4&topic=16070
As sewbug says "Any safety glove you buy will be cheaper than a trip to the ER. Shoot fire!"
Old 03-14-2012, 08:19 AM

eBay had some good prices on Klutz gloves:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...er+KLUTZ+GLOVE+
Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

I tried the glove but it's time consuming to take the glove off and on with each time I need to cut. The Rule Steady is just pick up and use, no time lost or hassle. I use the small round Gypsy gripper on small ruler cuts. It works great and no worry at all about cutting my fingers. I never use a rotary cutter without some type of cutting guard. At guild I use an iron to hold the ruler if I don't have my guard with me.