Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm quilting is not cheating >

Longarm quilting is not cheating

Longarm quilting is not cheating

Old 03-15-2012, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GeriP View Post
They are two totally different skill sets, both requiring practice and talent. It's like comparing apples to oranges. JMHO.
EXACTLY!! As someone who does both hand quilting and Longarm I know of what I speak. I think I would have been left speechless as well, for about a nano second. I just don't get why some folks think this.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:02 AM

I agree, my jaw would have dropped to the ground, how dare a perfect stranger give her opinion when not asked, but I also agree w/Susie, because I am truely looking forward to the day when I am 80 (if I'm that fortunate), and have earned the right to say, freely, whatever is on my mind (within reason, of course). She could probably share a lot of experience and knowledge within all those opinions of hers. Bless her heart.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:31 AM

I don't think that 80 year olds have the right to be rude. No one does. Anyone, however, is certainly entitled to his/her opinion about any given matter.

Glad you had grace in the situation. I'll bet she's never tried it (as neither have I and would LOVE to!).
Old 03-15-2012, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I don't think that 80 year olds have the right to be rude. No one does. Anyone, however, is certainly entitled to his/her opinion about any given matter.

Glad you had grace in the situation. I'll bet she's never tried it (as neither have I and would LOVE to!).
Yes, you are correct... but I was taught to respect my elders, not necessarily agree with them, but respect them.

(respect: deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment)
Old 03-15-2012, 05:39 AM

Hmmm- my head wonders whether she was really a quilter or just a wannabe quilter. Thanks for being the true lady in this situation I have just talked to the Quilting Police and they said longarming a quilt was absolutely fine. So she can just go away now and be happy (after she had a drink or her meds!!).
Old 03-15-2012, 05:51 AM

Your post prompted a memory of my mother and I attending a national show. There we were in front of a amazing work ( my opinion) and my mother ( hard of hearing and in her early 80's) blurts out ... "I thinks is ugly" .... I was mortified as the creator was standing next to my mother . I lean in and tell her who is next to her... and then she says " Its still ugly". I was beyond embarrased ... and my sister and I both took about 5 steps away from her. She had never been so ..innapropriate. So I can feel for you situation , and offer to you that your gratious lack of response was problably to most appropriate response.
At that age ( I am just learning) .. you just never know what will come out of their mouths.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
Be proud of yourself for saying nothing!!!!
I agree! There are people who are just plain rude...even though she's around 80, she's probably been this way her entire life! They deserve to be ignored!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:11 AM

Filter, schmilter -- she was just plain rude! I have a friend that is a handquilter ---- I informed her she has nothing over me ---- it took a LOT more for me to learn to use the longarm than it EVER took her to do the handquilting. LOL One day she was giving me a bad time and I asked her if she REALLY believed our foremothers wouldn't have used the "ease" of the longarm had it been available.......LOL She couldn't argue that one. and BTW -- don't you wonder what our foremothers went thru when, oh horrors, someone invented a dumb thing called "sewing machine"!!!????!!! LOL
Old 03-15-2012, 06:16 AM

Forget me not when I am old
When I repeat the same things
When I insist on having my way
When I forget your name
When I spoil your plans

When I am just taking-up space
When I am a burden on your day
When I call you a hundred times
When I seem to presume too much

My child, afford me a little dignity
- spare me a little patience
- show me a little kindness

for this much I have earned:

Through countless sleepless nights
-caring for you
Through a thousand tiring days
-working hard for you
Through these many years
-watching over you
-to see the beauty of who you have become

For your care of me
Brings out the best in you
and sows the seeds of your own tomorrow.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:27 AM

I once (years ago) had a lady blast me in the grocery line about how "Lazy moms were nowadays" because I was buying disposable diapers and baby food, back in her day blah blah blah. She picked the wrong day to call me lazy. I smiled and replied very sweetly with, well if I didn't have to work full time and go to school full time and was able to lay around the house all day like mothers use to I would have plenty of time for cloth diapers and homemade baby food. The checkout lady had a hard time not laughing.

Some people are just set in their ways and opinions. When it comes to making a personal item, there is no cheating. I applaud you for your restraint with the lady.