Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
March Secret Pal Swap Sign Up closes Feb 29th 4pm >

March Secret Pal Swap Sign Up closes Feb 29th 4pm

March Secret Pal Swap Sign Up closes Feb 29th 4pm

Old 03-15-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by mscupid804 View Post
I know, can't I still state that fact like a lot of others.....just saying?
Ahh my sweet friend you can do anything you like as far as I'm concerned....EXCEPT un-friend ME!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
Such nice, nice packages. I love those sewing/measuring guages!!!!
so you really use those small gauges? i guess it would be the same as my using my seam gauge to check seam allowance. i just never gave much thought about those little do-dads. i hve one but never used it and its probably very handy.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
so you really use those small gauges? i guess it would be the same as my using my seam gauge to check seam allowance. i just never gave much thought about those little do-dads. i hve one but never used it and its probably very handy.

Some time ago Fabric.com included one in an order as a 'gift'....I love it for checking that 1/4"...the only issue is that it runs away all the time with the seam ripper. I keep thinking that I should buy a couple more to have companions for the other seam rippers .... why is that some tools just hide when I need them? So to answer your question I really, really do like it.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:40 AM

i have a question of you joann's shoppers. now i do not shop joann's much because it is not near enough to me to go there but i was out near joann's yesterday and thought to stop and pick up some 28mm rotary blades. i had a hobby lobby coupon with me (on phone) and asked if i could use it and was told yes. then the clerk looked at the back of the item and told me that becasue it was distributed by joann's the coupon would not be good for that item though it was a general item that is sold just about everywhere. the clerk said that since is was marked distrib. by joann's the same product would not be for sale in another store. hmmpf... not so. something very similar is sold in most stores.

my question is this, is that their normal procedure to not accept outside coupons on things that are marked distributed by joann's? i am not familiar with joann's policies so did not know if that was the case. normally that would have been something i challenged asking to see the policy that states that. i have not had that issue when using other store's coupons at hancocks. just curious because it can be some time before i make my way into a joann's again so i need to know how hard to resist next time.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Swap Hosts

Mary, not sure about the distributed by part, but it's easy enough to get onto their mailing list and get their coupons. If you have a cell phone, you can also get coupons there, too. Next time you go in, be sure to sign up at the counter. I have a 25% off everything coupon I can send you if you'd like.
I do know that if you have a newspaper coupon from Michael's or somewhere else, they will not give more than 40% off, even if the coupon is for 50%. Also they will not accept internet coupons from competitors.
Another trick - if you sign up for the Joann's card which is 10% off, be sure to bundle all your sale items into one sale because their computers won't take off the 40% and 50% off non-sale items and the 10% off the rest. A bit of a pain, but a sale is a sale.
Speaking of sales, last week I was at Walmart and saw some very nice prints for $2/yard. On closer inspection, I saw they were all polyester, but after a little dig, I found some cottons! The dye colors, however, sort of remind me of the old madras plaid colors, so these will absolutely get a pre-wash. Worth it for $2/yard! And they were thick, substantial cotton, too!
They also had the cutest tape measure and button toss prints. Even though it violated my rule of never paying more than $3 a yard, I folded and got a yard of each at $7.97. Ach! Disgusted with myself.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:22 PM

K~you really don't pay over $3/yd.? What about at LQS? Even on sale, I don't think I've ever seen LQS's here with $3/yd.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:25 PM

I was getting very frustrated with the mail, so I called my post office. The postmaster said that I have not been getting my mail for the last 2 weeks cuz I put a hold on it. I asked why I would do that when I have been home and never asked for mail to be held. SO!! I did finally get my wonderful package from my sp partner Rose Irish. Just as soon as I figure out how to post a pic, I will show you the goodies she sent me. Very awesome!! Thank you.
Bonnie
Old 03-15-2012, 12:35 PM

Onalee, this sounds like me-eeeeee!

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
Ahh... come on now Teresa packages could be mailed as late as today....my SP package went out yesterday. This month just flew by but hopefully my SP will be so DELIGHTED with what I sent she/he will 'forgive' me. I haven't received my package either....

TODAY'S CLUES FOR MY SP

Let's see...I'd better give some clues....She/he lives EAST of me...EAST of the Mississippi River....EAST of Illinois...West of the Atlantic ocean....SOUTH of Maine....NORTH of Tampa, FL There are 16 characters and spaces in her/his address...17 if you add a period. Oh I hope this doesn't give it away....she/he has experienced an unusually mild winter this year!

Old 03-15-2012, 12:36 PM

What a great package Louise, those holiday prints were so pretty. I just love holiday prints, I love to make Christmas things, table runners, placemats, etc. It's just so much fun to work with those fabrics, they make me smile.

Gail
Old 03-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by brenda21 View Post
K~you really don't pay over $3/yd.? What about at LQS? Even on sale, I don't think I've ever seen LQS's here with $3/yd.
First of all, retail is a dirty word in this house. I am a coupon maniac. If I see something that is marked down and with a coupon ends up being $2-3 (or less) I buy it all. Fabric shopping is a competitive sport for me.

At Joann, however, you can get pricey fabrics if you combine coupons in the right way at the right time.

My lace is another story and I often pay upwards of $20/yard -- BUT -- that is the bottom line wholesale price after haggling and buying in bulk - 50-100 yards at a time. The retail could be between $80-90/yard.

LQS? Don't have one nearby so I don't pay LQS prices. The only ones within 50 miles are shops where I've purchased machines or had them serviced. Besides which, when I have gone, I've seen the exact same fabric at an LQS that is sold at Walmart for a fraction of their prices.

OK. Confession. If I really really really love a print, I'll go as high as $4. And that includes batiks!

Oh, and I am always on the prowl for dead quilters. The saying is true, the one who dies and leaves the biggest stash behind wins -- and those who shop their estate sales are even bigger winners.

I don't buy junk. One wholesaler where I buy a signature lace by the 50 yard roll has lots of cottons, but they are thin. I made that mistake once when I returned to quilting years ago. I ended up donating it all on Freecycle. And they weren't cheap at $7/yd.

On rare occasions I will splurge for something special for an art quilt at e-quilter, but that is rare.

Honestly, I am baffled by people who spend $12-15/yd for cottons. But to each his or her own. If you love them and can afford them, why not? I'm also baffled by people who go grocery shopping without coupons, but like I said, I enjoy the challenge of it all.