Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 PM

Chris,

Most if not all of the Singer 15s will sit nicely on a flat surface without a case or cabinet.

Cathy

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Have a 15-91 question. I have a friend with one in a cabinet but she wants the cabinet and not the machine. Will one of these work well outside of a cabinet? I kniow that a 66 or 210 needs a cabinet so am curious. She's actually willing to give me both if I give her some time to find another table. Just curious if the 15 will be okay to work with minus a cabinet?
Chris
Old 03-15-2012, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by PrincessPolkadot View Post
I've been hanging out reading posts here, all the while shopping for a White. I was trolling the local antique shops, thrift stores, E-bay and Craig's List, and happened upon this little beauty. Her former owner was downsizing to a trailer from a house and had no room for her. Meet Francesca:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]320109[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]320110[/ATTACH]
While her top is worn and her decals are a little silvered, she does have her manual and all the attachments, shuttle and 6 bobbins. So, not a bad deal for $80, I think.

Now, can anyone offer advice on correct needles? There was an old package in one of the drawers - empty, and with no identifying information. :-(
Very nice!! There is a chart showing needles on the ISMACS site.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:16 PM

Nancy,

Don't put the tools away yet. If you timed it so that the hook point is at the eye of the needle you will have skipped stitches during some types of sewing. The tip of the hook needs to intercsect the needle in the middle of the scarf (dip above the eye). Simple to change. Loosen the screws that you just tightened and very slightly rotate the hook until the tip is in the scarf . Make sure that all of this is done in straight stitch.

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Sorta like closing the barn door after the horses got out huh Joe! At least this gave me a chuckle when I read it, which I needed right then!

Thank you Candace for the photo - it helped! Thank you Miriam, I printed out some how to's on timing!

Well I did it! I can now join the "Timing Club." I have my 319w working great! She is doing decorative and straight stitch like nothing ever happened and I learned a ton! It took me awhile as I had to figure out that the eye of the needle had to be right at the point of the hook just as the needle was on the way up - not down!

Yippppppeeeeee! My 319 is back in her treadle and I can sew!

Joe, Marcus will be banned from the sewing room from now on!

Nancy

Last edited by Mizkaki; 03-15-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post

Yippppppeeeeee! My 319 is back in her treadle and I can sew!

Joe, Marcus will be banned from the sewing room from now on!

Nancy
Yippee is right!! Good on you, girl!! I knew you could do it.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:47 PM

nancy,

I just re-read my previous answer. I need to add that to start this adjustment turn the handwheel towards you until the needle has risen and the hook is where you had originally set it. Loosen the hook screws and then backup the handwheel so that the needle drops down about the width of a dime (this can vary) and then move the hook tip to behind the needle scarf. Now tighten which ever screw you can reach, turn the hand wheel and tighten the remaining screw. Test by hand turning. Call me if you need to.

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Nancy,

Don't put the tools away yet. If you timed it so that the hook point is at the eye of the needle you will have skipped stitches during some types of sewing. The tip of the hook needs to intercsect the needle in the middle of the scarf (dip above the eye). Simple to change. Loosen the screws that you just tightened and very slightly rotate the hook until the tip is in the scarf . Make sure that all of this is done in straight stitch.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
The long, thin, really nice screw driver was one an old sewing machine repair man gave me. He ground it at a slight angle. It worked wonderfully. Someone broke in a couple years ago and stole all my bright orange sewing machine repair tool box with a bunch of parts and tools - the parts and that screw driver made me the mad. You can't use that stuff on anything else. I have a screw driver that would be good to grind at a slight angle but no grinder. I should find a grinder, I guess. A straight screw driver just does not work the same as that one on the angle. Oh and I got much better tools after that. DH took me seriously and helped me get some better tools. I had been using cast off tools before that. Good tools do make a difference. We should start something on tools. Maybe when I get a screw driver ground at an angle. You almost do need a torque wrench or Locktite to get those screws tight enough that they won't come undone while you sew Misty. If those feed dogs come flying off while you are sewing and you don't catch on it can be pretty interesting. Ask me how I know............. Try a little heat - blow dryer, rice sock, sun, car on a hot day... Put the machine on its side then try soaking with liquid wrench, turn it over and do it again.
Miriam

I want to apologize for the crack about someone stealing the screwdriver. It was an unkind remark and I am sorry. Within my family we tease about things like that, but we all know we are teasing. This is not meant to be an excuse, I sometimes don't remember that I am not with people who know me. I know you did not seem offended and I am glad. Everyone here has been very nice to me, and have given of your knowledge freely. I would never want to give any idea that you are anything other than who you are. I don't know you, but you are kind to everyone. So I am sorry for my crack and want to say so.

I have tried the heat. I used a flame, very carefully, on the screws. That was before the liquid wrench. I haven't been able to get back to the machine, but will try the other suggestions as soon as I do. It is not my machine (yet, if ever) but I love a challenge. I will remember your words when I put the screws for the feed dogs back. Thanks for help. I am glad to be able to get advice from people who don't say to tear it completely apart and are so generous with their knowledge.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Power Poster

It's ok Misty, I probably would say the same thing to you if you were here - I lose screw drivers, screws and what ever is at hand. We have to keep a sense of humor or we'd be in tears - these machines can be such beasts.
Don't use flame use heat. For heat use a blow dryer or a rice sock or set the machine in the car on a sunny day then use the screw driver while it is still hot. If it cools off it will stay stuck.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:11 AM
Power Poster

Nancy, once you have joined the timing club there is no going back - you want to know why you thought it was so hard.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Well, I'm in love. I'm hard to impress when it comes to machinery. Most of it works. OK that's fine and dandy but nothing out of the ordinary.

The second; a Centennial Singer 201-2 in a cabinet that is a cross between a treadle cabinet and a wooden legged one.

I brought the head in the house, the cabinet is still in my Pathfinder, there is no place for it in the house, and started to work with it. Some oil, some minor cleaning, some thread and a bobbin, and OH MY G....., I've NEVER had a machine run like this thing. It's like a fine tuned race car. Quiet, smooth, sure, and did I say smooth? Even the oscillating parts of the needle take-up lever didn't vibrate.

I AM IMPRESSED! Like I said above, that doesn't happen often.

I need to bring the cabinet in and work on it. It's worn, chipped here and there, and is missing the spring that lifts the metal part at the right end of the machine up. The springs not broke, it's gone.
Anybody know where I can find one?

Well, I don't have any photos of these two yet. I'll get some soon.
One thing is for sure, something(s) has to go to make room for the 201.

Joe
Joe, I don't have a 201, I don't have room for one; and, I doubt I would love it more than my Pfaff 130, but you know everyone who does have a 201 LOVES them! That machine, as I am sure you know, was advertised as the Finest machine Singer ever made! Congratulations on the 201! I want to try one some day.

Nancy
Old 03-16-2012, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Nancy, once you have joined the timing club there is no going back - you want to know why you thought it was so hard.
Yep, Miriam you are right - it is so fun to learn! Now, because of little Marcus, I want to learn more! I also need to take Ray's class! I was amazed I even got the machine fixed! I am really good with getting them un-stuck, cleaned up, refurbished, getting out thread tangles, and tension issues, but I had never completely taken the whole bobbin assembly off a machine before! I really thought I was going to have to pay someone to fix the whole mess!

Cathy, I tried all the keys for decorative stitches, all the satin and zig zag settings, the straight stitch at different lengths. Nothing had a skipped stitch yet! I will print out your instructions and when I start getting skipped stitches I will try to adjust per your instructions - but, right now I don't want to fix what "ain't broke." Or at least it appears nothing is wrong right now! Maybe, I lucked out and the thing shifted enough to hit the 'sweet' spot before I tightened the screws on the hook? That little jewel was extremely hard to get in the right spot - then tighten! It wanted to move around, forward, backward - it is like you need an extra hand to do the needle timing!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 03-16-2012 at 05:43 AM.