Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm quilting is not cheating >

Longarm quilting is not cheating

Longarm quilting is not cheating

Old 03-15-2012, 01:34 PM

I agree with Jingle, she was just plain rude.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:36 PM

I tease the Hubs that I can't wait to be old enough to say whatever is on my mind and have people just shrug their shoulders and say "Oh, she's older...." Wonder what that age is? ROFL Having a shop, I had 'those' ladies in all the time. Even had one ask me where I got a pattern. I said it was "Free" online. She said, "Well, I guess you got what you paid for!" Water off a duck's back....different strokes....
Old 03-15-2012, 05:45 PM

My momma said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything!"......however, at 80, she's probably a little bitter about a lot of things. Quilt on.....!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:21 AM

I've gotten that one too, and also with audiobooks, which I listen to while sewing, cleaning, driving, you name it. To the audio issue, I reply that in a too visual world, the art of listening has been lost. I'm honing my listening skills. That keeps 'em quiet. As for the quilting issue, I tell a friend (who has had the luxury of not having to work, so she has done all her quilts by hand), "I'll get to hand quilting in my next life."
Old 03-16-2012, 03:25 AM

Why are we so quick to jump in with a nasty response? You can't criticize someone for being rude and mean on one hand and then retaliate by being rude and mean to them. That is really the pot calling the kettle black. Your mama was right, if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all!! You did good!!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

She needs more to quilt. Get her address!! :-) Got to love her!
Old 03-16-2012, 04:23 AM

Laughing because I have heard FMQ (DSM) dig at FMQ (LA) amd FMQ(LA) nose in air at LA (Pantos) and LA(Pantos) saying Computerized Quilting (even when the person designed and digitized the program themself) was cheating

Someone else already said this "these are all different skill sets","Quilt On"is the attitude!

when the cavepeople fingerpainted on walls betting the first person who used a stick was called cheater

Sorry someone in my generation was so rude to you, so onward Quilters, to infinity and beyond !
Old 03-16-2012, 04:29 AM

Well, I am not 80 but am closer than I want to be. One of the things that come with age is what we like to consider wisdom. Unfortunately, it is easily confused with opinion which we feel the need to share with everyone in case they miss the opportunity for our "wisdom". One of the great things about quilting is that it is yours. What you do, how you do it and why you do it is up to you. If you sew straight, match seams and end up with straight sides it is right and yours to do with as you please.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:31 AM

I would bet that she uses electricity and indoor plumbing!
Old 03-16-2012, 05:12 AM

[That was very insinistive. My Mother was an expert sewer and quilter and did most everything by had, ever peiced but that was her choice. Of course back then Long Arms weren't even around at least I had never heard of them. I do what I do in her honor and I know she is very proud of me even though it not that great and would love all the new things available to make live easier for the next generation. So I say to each his own and to be critical of something new or that is not your style is not nice and very narrow minded. You did good by not lashing back. You were much nicer than I think I could have been.QUOTE=jeemmerling621;5060957]I rent a longarm at my LQS and was quilting today (I.e. with headphones and tuned out to the world). A customer comes into the classroom where the longarms are and gets my attention and proclaims that what I am doing "is cheating, and defiling my quilt". I literally stood there speechless. She was in her 80's (I'm guessing) and has probably only ever hand quilted, but her total lack of filter just baffled me.

I had to get that off my chest I am so glad we all do our own thing on the Board and respect each other's amazing work![/QUOTE]