Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My sisters Wedding Gown >

My sisters Wedding Gown

My sisters Wedding Gown

Old 08-31-2009, 06:12 PM

A crazy quilt would be awesome but can I keep the integrity of the beading and emboidery in tact ? Will have a better idea after the unsewing party. lol

(The other women in the photo are my other sister and my neice.)

Joey
Originally Posted by Sew and Sew
I am so sorry for your loss. The gowns are just beautiful, I would love to see a crazy quilt because of all the beading and design. You are doing a good thing, you are a great sister.Are either one of the brides maids you? We talk to each other but have no idea what we look like, just curious. Again I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:15 PM

DEAR
I got you another idea if you can get some of her blue jeans make a rag quilt out of them.i've got one made ofmy two kids anhubby&my blue jeans.got enough blue jeans taken apart to make another one an still have my dads jeans
that i can take apart an put in one.i even stole a pair of blue jeans that my son had been wearing that were his dads an they had holes in them like you wouldn't believe an i cut them up you should have heard what he said.believe me i won't do that no more.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:18 PM

Thank you so much for the link dunster. Of course I missed the Sister's Quilt Show this year so didn't get to see those. Thank you.

Joey
Originally Posted by dunster
I am so sorry for your family's loss. At the Sisters quilt show there were a number of quilts made from wedding gowns. They were hanging in the store that sells clocks. I didn't take pictures, but there are some on this site.
http://cottonsnwoolens.blogspot.com/...show-2009.html
Old 08-31-2009, 06:20 PM

Thank you Jennell, that would be very kind of you.

Joey
Originally Posted by billswife99
What a sweet memorial this will be. I have been looking and looking for a link I saw a few months back that had a gorgeous crazy quilt made from a wedding dress. Still can't find it but I will keep looking.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I can't imagine (and really don't want to) the pain of losing a sister. I am very sorry. The good in this, she was and still is loved.

My recommendation would be a foundation-pieced crazy quilt. You could add more embellishments. I hope the project soothes your soul.
i stink at this, but i am so sorry. i wish these things didn't have to happen.

i thought the same thing as mad quilter.. maybe the wedding gown for the top and the burgandy color for the backing.

what do you plan to do with it? will you keep it or give or to her children, if any? or her dh? or your parents, if you still have them?

if you add some cream satin, you could stretch it out to make more than one lap quilt or wallhanging for several family members to keep. i would do hangings, because i don't know how it will wear. it looks like a fragile fabric and has those beautiful embellishments. you could tack the sandwich together with thread through pearl beads.

whatever you do, it will be a wonderful memorial to your sister.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:34 PM

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your sister, my heart goes out to you.

I agree with Klue Designs on the cathedral windows, I think that the colors would be stunning in that design.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 AM

Would love to see the quilt you made. The Dress was stunning. So sorry to hear about your sister. I lost one of my sisters from cancer also.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:34 AM

I am sorry for your loss.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:38 AM

So sorry for your loss. It will be a beautiful quilt with wonderful memories.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:44 PM

There is such a nice pillow made from satin in the April 2011 issue of Quilter's World. The pattern isn't in the book, but you can access it online. Use the address: QuiltersWorld.com/EXTRA. Use the limited time code: QQ9283 You can get the instructions and print them off. This will only be available while this issue is on the news stand, so I suggest you look at it and if you like it, print it off and you can make a decision later.

I have made pillows from bridesmaid's dresses, in which I used the fabric, with the trim still attached to it, to decorate the pillow. They have all turned out well, and it keeps the integrity of the original design of the trim embellisment.

I hope you find something that you like. I think this is such a beautiful way to remember the day and to honor your sister and her husband.