Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in the Lancaster AQS show >

Disappointed in the Lancaster AQS show

Disappointed in the Lancaster AQS show

Old 03-19-2012, 04:56 AM

The last show I went to was 2 years ago and vowed I won't go for another 10...and then again maybe not in 10 yrs.I think it is going down hill every year.I can truly spend all that money at a quilt shop in my area.!!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:29 AM

I was thrilled with the show. I'm a new quilter and cannot imagine ever making a quilt like some of the ones I saw at the show.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:06 AM

I went to the AQS show and really loved it. I found it so inspirational, I couldn't wait to sew! I went to the AQS show last year, too, and the special exhibits last year were more to my liking than those this year, but there's always something to complain about if you're looking to do so, right? While the vendors didn't really offer any bargains at the show, I still spent more than I planned, because for me it is an opportunity to buy something I've been wanting that I can't get locally. So while it's there in front of me, I might as well get it instead of ordering it online later and having to pay for shipping. For me it was a great show!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:35 AM

Okay I did go to Lancaster for the AQS show this past weekend! The AQS show was not at the Host Hotel! It was downtown at the Convention Center attached to the Marriott Hotel. I enjoyed the show this year. I loved the quilts! I shopped at the venders. My girlfriends shopped as well. The jewelry vendors where appropiate for the venue. I think AQS is trying to fill a void left by the previous show in Lancaster. Since they have approxamitely over 15,000 attendees, I doubt that it will be pulled anytime soon. I do wish they had better teachers this year. I love shopping for fabric in Lancaster and found almost everything I had on my must buy list. Is is Houston? No! Is it a local quilt show? NO! Is it a National Show yes! All the Vendors I spoke with stated they were having a great show. They were booking rooms at the hotel for 2013 and 2014. So I am thinking this is a winner in AQS management eyes! Yes I did enjoy the show. Quilts were wonderful. But they need more to enter their quilts in the shows for us to look at them. Glad I went! I will go back! Maybe not next year but who knows! Luann in CT
Old 03-21-2012, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Carie View Post
Ladies, We went to the Mountainfest Quilt show in Pigeon Forge, Tenn this past wekend---beautiful, and more vendors than I've seen in a long time. Also lots of classes-couldn't be more pleased - and will indeed go again next year!
My DH and I went to this show in Pigeon Forge. We both liked it, and will probably try to get back next yr. Great quilts, good vendors, and to hear the history of the old quilts was good.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:15 PM
nls

Enjoyed the quilts. Maybe the signage could have been better and the vendors separated from the quilts--was somewhat confusing.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:42 PM

Can you please share the VA shop with us?
Jean
Old 03-23-2012, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by carrieg View Post
Can you pinpoint what it was that made you feel letdown? Was it the type of quilts, the colors, patterns, vendors?

There will be an AQS show in Michigan in August(?) and I plan on going. Not sure what to expect.
Where in michigan will it be? I have been to very many shows I did not enjoy! Another carol in Michigan!
Old 03-23-2012, 06:29 PM

That should read ...I have not been to many shows I did not enjoy!
Old 03-24-2012, 05:06 AM

Sure I will gladly share the Virginia shop. It's called the Fabric Outlet and it's located near Cape Charles on Virginia's eastern shore on Lankford Highway (Highway# 13 I think - It's the main road through there anyway). Miss Henrietta is just moving into a 7000 sq ft old dance hall that she bought and she's not due to open for a week or two yet in the new place. It's 9 miles north of the old place which she shared with her son's business. The new place is just north of Appleseed Nurseries on the same side of the road. She's bought lots of new fabrics for her expanded space. I had to pull the plastic off of some of the bolts I was buying.

Be prepared to search some but most of us don't mind that if the prices are right and they are! This is no LQS. She's got everything from shirting to fleece to fake fur to upholstery and drapery fabrics. But she has lots of cottons just right for quilters. I bought stuff for my Project Linus tops as cheap as $3.60/yd. I also found some of her newer stock that I loved for $6.00/yd. But I found nothing cotton any more expensive than that.

I have a card from her son's store (R and T Nautical) that gives their phone number as 757 678 3920. He makes neat bird sculptures from PCV pipe. I'd call and check with her DS or DDIL before I made a special trip out there. Miss Henrietta is 82! She does take credit cards.

Last edited by mhollifiel; 03-24-2012 at 05:09 AM. Reason: clarity