Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you ever bought your own anniversary gift?? >

Have you ever bought your own anniversary gift??

Have you ever bought your own anniversary gift??

Old 03-20-2012, 08:15 AM

Not anniversary but Christmas & birthday.
Reason why.
When I was married I could take my husband and put his hand on what I wanted and He would buy the wrong thing -or- wait till all were sold and buy something else, that I hated.

J J
Old 03-20-2012, 08:18 AM

Don't need an anniversary to buy yourself something. Heck, it can be Wednesday and the mood may strike me.
As long as this is not a habbit that will end up in a debt situation... enjoy! Have a banana split while you are out too.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mickie612 View Post
Yes, and it was my own fault, My husband asked what I wanted for our 50th and in a stupid answer I said nothing really, and he took me up on it. I bought him a very nice gift. Well, so far it has cost double what it would have and I have a lot more fabric than I would have.
We did this for my husband's birthday once. The kids kept wanting to know what he wanted and he kept saying "nothing." So we got him nothing. Boy was he surprised! Not even his favorite pineapple upside down cake. BUT...that is a birthday he never forgot!

Barb
Old 03-20-2012, 09:35 AM

I bought anniversary, birthday, christmas presents for myself 30 out of the 36 years we were married. Took me a while to figure out he did not know how to pick presents and he hated to shop. So since he died I still buy my own presents and think of them as being from him. One time I bought a 1932 crazy quilt at an auction, called him and told him he just got me my anniversay present. By time anniversary came around 6 months later he forgot about the quilt and still took me out to diner to celebrate the occasion. I say go for it, hubby will probably be happy you got something you love and he didn't have to do anything but pay for it. Take care.
Linda
Old 03-20-2012, 10:18 AM

I am horrible-I forget birthdays, anniversaries, special days. I even forget my birthday. We have been married for 21 years and he remembers every one and I feel like a jerk. They just aren't that important to me.

If I want something I get it. If he wants something it is a month or longer effort to get him to buy it. Very early on I found out not to surprise him. He gets cranky-he has to do his "can we afford it (yes)-do I need it (yes)-will I really really use it (most likely) dance"-man can not make up his mind!!

If you want it and can afford it and will wear it-then go for it!!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 AM

Yes I have. It insures that I get what I have looked at and not "surprise gift". Either go ahead and buy it or call the jeweler and have them hold it for 24 hours. Then send DH to buy it. I am not one for suprise gifts (DH learned that early on) and it guarantees a real thankful gift giving. Congrats on your anniversary!
Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 AM

Love the Sinbad joke Tanya... yeah that would do the trick.
After a birthday and an anniversary a few years ago, when nobody remembered, I did start being more proactive in dropping very broad hints / aka photos and ads.
Our whole family also started keeping personal wish lists on Amazon.com for the times when you are stuck without being able to find a great gift idea. It has helped several times in a pinch!

lalaland... that is the CUTEST little pup in your avatar!
Old 03-20-2012, 12:43 PM

Since I have not been married for almost 30 years, I buy all my own gifts. I hight recommend it!!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
I have my eye on a piece of jewelry that I would love to have for my anniversary. It won't break the bank and I really want it. Ladies, have any of you gone ahead and just bought yourself an anniversary gift?
Sandy
dh and I always pick out our Christmas, birthday, etc. etc. stuff. We like it that way! But I do insist on wrapping at Christmas time and putting under the tree.
Patience is a virtue, you know
Old 03-20-2012, 03:13 PM

I not only buy my on anniversary gift I often buy my own birthday gift. MY husband and I have done it for years. Sometimes we buy things for each other but mostly we buy our own stuff. Often we buy things we wouldn't normally buy ourselves. I sometimes use it for an excuse to buy more fabric.