Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Please with a commissioned wall hanging >

Help Please with a commissioned wall hanging

Help Please with a commissioned wall hanging

Old 03-20-2012, 12:44 PM

I do exactly the same thing. I download pictures which I can either use for silhouettes or to attempt to piece with colored fabric. (I highly recommend a silhouette.) I then print them out and trace them directly onto the paper side of pellon (fusible). I iron that onto the fabric and cut it out. Voila! Any picture you want. The other option is to print the actual picture onto fabric made for that and do it the same way. (Just be sure to use ink-jet or laser printer which ever the printable fabric manufacturer recommends). Have fun! I'll attach a picture of the last one I made if I can figure out how to....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowgirl.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	321304  

Last edited by M.I.Late; 03-20-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:15 AM

Hit the internet for images. Look at the covers of novels in the library. The illustrations can be cobbled together, shrunk or enlarged as required. I get all of my inspiration for unique pantograms from this method.
Good luck,.. but its very rewarding.
MaryKatherine
Old 03-22-2012, 03:32 AM

I like the silhouette idea. At a quilt show in NJ I saw the best silhouette done in satin - it was Elvis Presley!! I thought it was the most outstanding creative quilt there. I voted it best in show.

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Could you use silhouettes instead of realistic applique pictures? I would do better on silhouettes myself. If you do decide to do realistic applique, I'd make sure the person is from the back unless you are really good at faces.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:36 AM

You can make a silhouette from a photo. Trace it onto clear plastic, back with white paper and enlarge on a copier. Do a realistic one from resized patterns. I use a lot of stained glass and woodcarving patterns for various animals. There are a lot of dog patterns out there from Maggie Walker to a book called Best of Show. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the coloring book pages and keep it simple! I often use powerpoint to enlarge and decrease picture sizes
Old 03-22-2012, 05:49 AM

Have you thought about googling the free colouring pages to see what you come up with.

Awesome idea.
Robin in TX
Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 AM

Crayola.com has over a 1000 free coloring pages. You might find something there.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:54 AM

I love applique... there is a lot of clip art and "stuff" available on line... google the word and then look at images... if you haven't you will be amazed... sometimes the images give more info then the websites, I think... it sounds like fun to me.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 AM

my question is - how did this commission come about......have you done commissioned work before? Like someone else said, I too would not take a commission request unless I knew where to begin and proceed with it..........how big will this wallhanging be? Seems like a real pressure chore to me.....I do this for fun, not work!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:32 AM

I was asked to do a pterodactyl... my friends son loves them. I found a color page of one and had it printed poster size. I was fortunate to have a poster printer available to me. Now I have it to size, basically.
Color pages are great to use. Find pics of basically what you are looking for and put them together in one picture. Go to your local print shop to see if they can put it together in a poster.

Hope this makes sense and helps.