Kindle

Old 03-25-2012, 06:10 AM

[I] had a regular Kindle received as a birthday gift from my son. This year I purchased the Kindle Fire as a gift to myself and just adore it. I can watch YouTube videos on quilting in my quilt room and follow along to say nothing of all the other neat features the the Fire has.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:31 AM

I have the keyboard kindle. I use it only for reading books. I haven't been to the library since I bought it. Only downside I can see is that the books from the library have a long waitng list and the ones free from Amazon are usually self-published or older classics. So---if you prefer the newest published books be prepared to pay for them. Personally, I've read many good books for free and If I don't like one I just delete it. I have 300 books downloaded so I'll never run out of readng material. I usually download a free book every day or 2. I love carrying 300 books in my purse. Most of the newer kindles are touch screens now. My husband has one of those and likes it as well.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:43 AM

I have the kindle fire--love it--made my own case per a blog on internet--I can now watch my quilting videos anywhere in the house--download books, audio etc.and it is so useful on trips as you can download games, activities for every age before you leave. My kindle is constantly in use
Old 03-25-2012, 06:47 AM
KLO

I have a Kindle Fire also. DH gave it to me for Christmas and sold the two Kindle 3 units he had bought the previous Christmas. He has a Touch Pad now and I use my Fire all the time. Libraries used to only "lend" to Nooks but now can do Kindles too. I get the Pixel of Ink emails everyday with free and very low cost books listed. My DH gets that now too and we have bought gotten quite a few books from that. I also got a cover for it that allows the Fire to stand up, so to speak. Love that too because I read at lunch and it makes it so easy to see and turn pages. Also got a little rubber ended pointer gizmo that works great on the screen and keeps the finger prints off. Also the Fire lights up so you can read it in the dark .... the Kindle 3 did not. I think if you get the Kindle or Nook, you will love it for reading especially.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:50 AM

I have the Kindle 3G with a keyboard and love it. If I were buying one today, I would definitely get the Kindle Fire. I find that I would have enjoyed it even more if it were backlit. Only the Kindle Fire has backlighting which makes it easier to read in the evening or in bed at night. Even with the bedside light, I would be more comfortable with just a little more light. Thinking about giving this to my husband and getting a Fire for me. Has to wait though, just bought a new Canon SLR camera!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
the libraries work with Kindle, they do not work with Nook. just keep that in mind.
look in Amazon .com and type free kindle books in the search bar for some free ones. or search by author. i just got five books there for free. they may not be good ones though, but time will tell.
Actually, each user should check into their local libraries for which device they cooperate with. Our local library started out with just books for NOOK... cooperating with Barnes and Noble. It's just been since the holidays that it began working with the Kindle. I have downloaded a dozen or more books from them for my Kindle Fire. I love the ease and speed that we can now get the books we want.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:49 AM

I have a Kindle Fire. I got it for the same reasons you mention. We are in FL for the winter and we had to get a different cable while we were down here. I am able to send e-mails; but, most of the time my recipients don't get the e-mails I send them. I have been on the phone since we've been here (mid-January) with both Kindle Support and the cable company here. They have been very nice but, so far, cannot solve the problem. Otherwise I love the things it can do; but the main reason I got it was for e-mail while we're traveling. I would also suggest that you buy a stylus for it. It's much easier to use than tapping with your fingers.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

I have the Kindle Fire and it's great for books, movies, files, and internet. You have to have wireless to use the Kindle Fire. I bought several of the $79 Kindles and they are just fine for reading books and tossing in my purse or tote and these stay charged for weeks. DH has the 3G Kindle with lighted cover and it's so much better then a stack of books sitting by his chair and on his nightstand.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 AM

Remember on the Fire, you cannot read in the sun.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by matraina View Post
Remember on the Fire, you cannot read in the sun.
I bought the non glare screen for the IPad, cut it to fit my Fire and it works great to read in the sun and at night. I noticed the non glare screen are available to buy for the Fire now.