Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to make to sell at craft shows? >

What to make to sell at craft shows?

What to make to sell at craft shows?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 AM

The things I look for at craft shows are things that are made WELL. I'm sure a lot of sewers and quilters go to shows too, and if your work looks like the proverbial "loving hands at home " type of craft, we aren't interested. But if you can produce something that is expertly done - a real work of art - I'm sure you'll have a market for whatever you decide to do.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 AM

If you absolutely have to have an extra income that's one thing. But if you're newly retired and looking for just something to do and people interaction my suggestion would be to come up with a unique idea or a new twist on an old idea and in a medium you absolutely love and look forward to working in each day and just go for it. Think of alternate uses for what you make if it doesn't sell ... personal Christmas gifts for your family, birthday gifts, donations, etc. You still will have had the enjoyment of having something to look forward to doing each day and, if you daydream while you're doing it, who knows, you may come up with the next hula hoop!!!!! Good luck!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:02 AM

I started doing craft shows last year. One suggestion I would make is to only go to the well established craft shows.One show I attended was a long time established show that I did very well at. The other one was a new craft show that hadn't been advertised very well and I did make enough to cover my entry fee. I sell checkbook covers, casserole covers, potholders, table runners and knitted cowls. My table runners sell the least and I know I have them competitively priced.
It is a long day but my DD also has a booth of her jewelry so we consider it Mother/Daughter time. Good luck
Old 03-26-2012, 08:12 AM

Veteran of shows for 17 yrs. Health issues may have put an end to that. Many good suggestions. Most important , don't go overboard on anything that costs you too much or too time consuming. Last few years my best sellers were Mom and Daughter aprons. Don't forget boys and men...usually used cammo, tools,cars,truck fabric. I did lots of emb. on kids shirts...that was my biggest seller. Boys get tools, sports,cars, fire related (you get the idea). Clever sayings also were a big hit. Girls got ballet,dance,martial arts. Pillowcases sold for $9.00 but not personalized. For some reason my mug mats were thought to be hot pads but still sold. Be ready to haggle (two for $) especially around Christmas time. Small personalized ornaments also were popular. Small soft toys for babies that were easy to make up. You know the old saying about doing what you love and you will love what you are doing. Try not to take critics personally. Best wishes and I hope this thread keeps up. There are sites out there for crafters that can be of help.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 AM

Have you thought about making Table Runners with matching Place mats w/napkins. I was planning on making some for Christmas presents and Tree skirts. Just an idea. Good luck in you indevors!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:22 AM

quillows, (quilt w/pillow) sell well, baby quilts , tablerunners, placemats, potato microwave bags, simple youth quilts, aprons, casserole carriers, wall hangings, table toppers are some of the items that sell well at our craft show.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:28 AM

Lori S.....that's a great list and very good advice. I have done craft shows since the late 70s and if I may add one thought: even tho it's incredibly difficult to come up with an original idea, try to have one item that's so unique (in fabrics or design) that will sell enough to cover the cost of your space. Your personal 'doorbuster' but be prepared to see it at many of the booths or tables the next time you go to one of these. The rental fees for fairs have skyrocketed and losing money is a heartbreaker and very discouraging. I had one item that sold out almost immediately and people came back year after year asking for it......in multiples. I think the only reason it wasn't copied is because people didn't want to take the time to add the fine details back then.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:54 AM

They use t-shirts to make quilts, not quilted t-shirts, t-shirt quilts! Linda
Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 AM

I'd suggest baby quilts and tote bags. You would have to get written permission from the pattern designers for these and in some cases from the fabric designers. Be sure to research the copyright issues before you sell any of your items. There have been some sticky situations lately.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 AM

Smart! Have to agree. I see crafters who barely get the price of their goods - fabric, beads, whatever - out of the item when they sell it. If you go into it to make money, take Diana's advice and plan before you start something.

Originally Posted by Hen3rietta View Post
Before you rush headlong into doing craft shows, sit down and work up a business plan. I make quilt related stained glass pieces and have done everything from major shows to small community ones and it is a crap shoot. The last 4 years have been very hard in this economy. One show we sold nothing over $10. This is not to say don't do it, but think carefully about ALL of the ramifications before jumping in.

Most importantly, price out our items and see if they make you a profit after including cost of materials, time ( and that is an important one), cost of show including cost of transport to and from, consumables (receipt blanks, bags, cards. etc.) show materials (cash box, table, table coverings, display materials, etc.) Another thing to consider is if you are making something that a)people want and b) they won't necessarily make themselves and or c) your price is cheaper than what they could do themselves. Lastly, shows can be exhausting. On 1 day shows you need to show up a crack of dawn to set up, listen to people saying how they do the same thing and/or they do it better and afterwards break down and drive however long home. With a good show you do well, on others you are lucky to break even with expenses. And one good show does not indicate that the next year it comes around will be the same.

Some other considerations are sales tax reporting and insurance. Most good show require tax numbers and proof of insurance in advance.

So, if you age going to do crafts, pick something you love doing for the sake of doing it and not making needed cash. For that I would take a part time job waiting tables. Far more reliable.