Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Motel/Hotel TV Remote Controls - Yuck! >

Motel/Hotel TV Remote Controls - Yuck!

Motel/Hotel TV Remote Controls - Yuck!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:45 PM

I get to feeling all "creepy" (as in things creeping) when I stay in a hotel room (and I was just in one this weekend!). After seeing CSI and watching that "blue light" scan the furniture and bed covers, I just about can't sit/lay on them. I also wear slippers rather than walking on the carpet. Don't EVEN get me started on the bathroom!!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by nycbgirl View Post
Just thinking of what might be on those remotes give me the heebie jeebies! When we have to stay in a hotel I spend the better part of an hour cleaning.....and I NEVER SIT ON THE COMFORTER!!!
This is why I like staying at Hampton Inn, ALL the bedding, including duvet cover, gets washed after each guest.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
This is why I like staying at Hampton Inn, ALL the bedding, including duvet cover, gets washed after each guest.
You think they do. I can tell you 100% positive they do not always get cleaned. My nephew works in a very high end hotel ($400.00 a night), and even he said... he really thinks twice when he stays in a hotel now. It all depends on how well the maid wants to do their job. If they want to do it correctly... it will be..if they want to get done work earlier..they hurry and cut steps. All the chains claim they wash all bedding etc... I hate spending so much time cleaning before I can enjoy my trip... easier to use a camper. lol
Old 03-26-2012, 06:12 AM

Me too.You can only be so careful,after that ,it's a mental disorder.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:54 AM

I take a small bottle of hydrogen peroxide with me, and before anything else, I take one of the bath rags and wet it and clean light switches, door handles, telephone, radio/TV controls, faucet handles, toilet flusher, seat, and back, and anything else I'll be touching. Yuck is right! I also check under the sheets, in the cracks where the piping joins the mattress, for bedbugs... have never found any yet, thank goodness, but I keep reading about them. Double yuk! Not only does civility seem to be passé, so does cleanliness!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Another thing to consider is coffee pots and ice buckets. It has been reported that germs relating to an upset stomach (to put things delicately) have been found in these. I be sure to use the plastic bag that usually comes with the ice bucket on the rare occasion I need ice. I don't even use the coffee pot after hearing that. Also wipe off the light switches. We put our bags in the bathroom until we use flashlights and check the beds for bedbugs. Nothing could spoil a vacation more than bringing home the dreaded bedbug!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:23 PM

Thanks guys! I stay in hotels a lot. As a matter of fact am going tomorrow night and the next. Now that you have made me aware, yuch!! Just never thought about the remote. Other stuff, yes. but not the remote.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by buslady View Post
Thanks guys! I stay in hotels a lot. As a matter of fact am going tomorrow night and the next. Now that you have made me aware, yuch!! Just never thought about the remote. Other stuff, yes. but not the remote.
Just bring your zip lock bags!!! I feel totally okay with the remote now.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:19 PM

Don't worry Buslady!!!!! I have the Lysol ALWAYS packed in my overnight bag!!!!!!! I am adding a box of ziplocs too!!!!! LOL!!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:00 PM

I also put my kitchen remote in a snack size ziploc bag. Keeps it clean and not sticky.