Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scant 1/4" seam; SERIOUSLY???????? >

Scant 1/4" seam; SERIOUSLY????????

Scant 1/4" seam; SERIOUSLY????????

Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 AM

Ok, I did scant 1/4 inch seams this morning when I made a block for a swap I am in that requires 12 1/2 inch blocks be exact, I am wondering how these tiny seams are going to hold up under heavy use? Would'nt it be better to cut a larger 1/4 inch extra so as to be able to use the standard 1/4 in seam? or would this distort the blocks? maggiebb
Old 03-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I took the time to figure out where my needle needs to be to get the magic scant 1/4". I like blocks with lots of pieces. I would rather take my time and sew it correctly once, than have to rip it out because the block won't fit together. Am I perfect? no, if a point gets cut off or a seam here or there is off I don't stress, but overall it is soooo much easier and more fun for me when i use the proper seam allowance.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
When I make blocks from Quilterscache.com, she always mentions the scant 1/4 seam. I do find, that if I don't move my needle a tad to the right, when I am done with the blocks, they are not 12.5 as many swaps specify. Just moving the needle over a bit ensures my blocks are okay for all the swaps that I do. Over block over block, that scant can add up to making the blocks not square up with each other.
Yep, that is my experience too. If I NEED the block to be 12.5" OR if I have HST points that NEED to match, I adjust my seam allowance. If it's just squares and rectangles, I usually just use a consistent seam allowance and all comes out OK in the end.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:22 AM

That's what I do, MaggieBB! I have clear plastic ruler, with a metal-edge recessed into it. I've found that the tiny amount the metal-edge adds when I cut, makes it so that I can sew a true 1/4". Also, my seams are never absolutely perfect either, but if they're a touch under in spots, the iron works that right out!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:47 AM

Scant ¼" seams are hardly "tiny seams" as at least one poster fears.

A scant ¼" is only a couple threads shy of a full ¼". With 60 threads per inch, there are 15 threads per quarter inch of fabric in the looser weaves of quilting cotton. If 15 threads equal a quarter inch 'regular' seam and 13 threads equal a 'scant' quarter inch seam, that 13 thread seam would equal .217" instead of .25".

So, reduction of only .033" - that's a mere 33/1000 of an inch less than one quarter inch, hardly enough to make it 'tiny' and prone to stress. Fear not, your seams are secure even if they're scant!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 AM

I quess it is the same with the saying "I give it my all" and somebody replies " I gave it 110%". I always was taught that 100% was all. Quess, I am getting too old.!!

Originally Posted by QandE2010 View Post
So a quarter isn't just a plain quarter anymore? Oh, that's right. It is a scant quarter, a true quarter, & a generous quarter. LOL. When you really think about it, it does sound pretty silly.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Fear not, your seams are secure even if they're scant!
No, I don't worry about that, either.

Lots of miniatures and complicated blocks are normally sewn with 1/8" seam allowances. And some appliqued areas will have very skimpy seam allowances, too.

Garment seams are often graded down to very small seam finishes - and those hold up through regular wear and laundering, too - without even any quilting to help hold them fast.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 AM

I have found that I use a "scant" most of the time to get my project the correct size, especially if I cut on the "inside" of the ruler lines or have alot of pieces. I also have found that with my Accuquilt, I use a scant for sure since the die cut is on the mark so the fabric ends up being exactly 1 inch or whatever.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:00 PM

Fear not, your seams are secure even if they're scant!

I'm never worried that the seams won't be secure because they are so hard to rip out.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:08 PM

I do the same as pinkberry. My machine allows me to move my needle over so the edge of the foot means 1/4". But please, going over other seams means wandering allowance. They must be handing out Quilt Police badges again.