Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scant 1/4" seam; SERIOUSLY???????? >

Scant 1/4" seam; SERIOUSLY????????

Scant 1/4" seam; SERIOUSLY????????

Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 AM

Some machines have a button you push to move the needle over for a scant 1\4 inch, works really nice especially with a sampler quilt where some blocks have a few pieces and others have a lot of pieces. Check your manual to see if you have that. Took me a while before I noticed I had that feature.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:05 AM

I have not made many quilts but one I made used seriously less fabric than I had expected (backer and binding) and I believe it was partly due to the fact that I did NOT do scant 1/4 inch seams.

So on the BOM I did with lots of triangles and small pieces I centered my needle and shifted it slightly to the right.
It stays there now.
I believe that the BOM went together so well because I was consistent with that scant 1/4-inch seam.
I ripped almost no seams and what little easing I had to do did not lead to actual gathers and puckers.
I will also add that I sewed seams in the same direction when on the diagonal. That is, I tried not to stretch the diagonal when sewing to other pieces and sewed so that the stitching itself pulled the fabric back to square (if that makes sense).

Whatever size seam you do, it is obviously important to be consistent: 1/4 or scant 1/4.

From another post: "I do find, that if I don't move my needle a tad to the right, when I am done with the blocks, they are not 12.5 as many swaps specify."
Ditto from me!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:28 AM

Has it occurred to anyone else that perhaps pattern makers and quilter's products, as well as sewing machine makers started directing us to use "scant" quarter inches as a way to generate income? Or a way for pattern makers to not have to take responsibility for their patterns being accurate? "Scant" is not an accurate measurement, and what is "scant" to one person may not be "scant" to another person. Imagine going to a carpet store and telling them you only want to be charged for xxxx "scant" yards of carpet.

I personally will not purchase a pattern that uses the term "scant" in the directions. We as a group could let manufacturers know that we want accurate instructions, using the traditional accurate 1/4th inch, or we will not use their products. We are the customers, we have the power to have the sellers adjust to us, rather than us having to adjust to them, to give them our money. Just look at all the recent threads caused by this confusing term. If we are vocal as a group, perhaps they will get back to accurate measurements. It would help the newbies, those who have made beautiful quilts for years because they learned to be as accurate as possible, those who do the best they can with their physical or mental limitations, those like me want to sew for fun,and will never be able to make award winning quilts, those who don't have machines with the adjustable needles, and the many vintage machine enthusiasts in our group? Is anyone willing to join me in being vocal about accurate measurements, instead of the "scant" measurements we are being directed to use? Off my soap box now. m
Old 03-28-2012, 06:44 AM

I'm currently doing a quilt a long on Craftsy where I found out two blocks into the class that all seams were to be sewn with a scant 1/4. Amy Butler (who is teaching the class) said something to the effect "I thought everyone sewed with a scant 1/4 inch".........Ok, what planet is she on? My blocks are now just short of the 12 1/2 inch finished size, but I am just going to cut mine down to 12 1/4 inch.....YIKES!!!! Just when you think you have all the answers, they change the questions!!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

mmb195152, If you will scroll back to read a post I made in this thread, I think it will clear up some misunderstanding. Pattern makers always create their patterns with "perfect" 1/4-inch seams. Their direction to sew with scant 1/4-inch seams is meant to help sewers achieve accurate results.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by mmb195152 View Post
Has it occurred to anyone else that perhaps pattern makers and quilter's products, as well as sewing machine makers started directing us to use "scant" quarter inches as a way to generate income? Or a way for pattern makers to not have to take responsibility for their patterns being accurate? "Scant" is not an accurate measurement, and what is "scant" to one person may not be "scant" to another person. Imagine going to a carpet store and telling them you only want to be charged for xxxx "scant" yards of carpet.

I personally will not purchase a pattern that uses the term "scant" in the directions. We as a group could let manufacturers know that we want accurate instructions, using the traditional accurate 1/4th inch, or we will not use their products. We are the customers, we have the power to have the sellers adjust to us, rather than us having to adjust to them, to give them our money. Just look at all the recent threads caused by this confusing term. If we are vocal as a group, perhaps they will get back to accurate measurements. It would help the newbies, those who have made beautiful quilts for years because they learned to be as accurate as possible, those who do the best they can with their physical or mental limitations, those like me want to sew for fun,and will never be able to make award winning quilts, those who don't have machines with the adjustable needles, and the many vintage machine enthusiasts in our group? Is anyone willing to join me in being vocal about accurate measurements, instead of the "scant" measurements we are being directed to use? Off my soap box now. m
Do as you like, but your theory is all wet. The need to adjust the seam allowance came about when rotary cutters became THE way to cut fabric pieces. Prior to that, we used templates, marked a line and cut on that line. Pieces are always slightly bigger when you cut that way...you mark outside the template and usually leave part of the line when you cut.

Rotary cutting makes the pieces smaller, especially if you measure using the inside of the line instead of the outside. It's a plain and simple reason with numerous easy ways to adjust for accuracy with any limitations, physical or mechanical, you may encounter.

It's your choice whether to adapt or not, but even patterns that don't SAY 'scant' actually intend you to use one. I want my work to be the very best it can be even if it's for my cat, and so I sew with the finished measurements in mind at all times. The seam width makes absolutely no difference at all as long as the finished block measurements are accurate...never has, never will.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 AM

Prism, I did go back and read your reply. I found some good food for thought in your reply. I guess I have never tried such intricate patterns where the type of thread was that critical, and all the quilting classes I have taken, or seen on utube taught the pressing the same way. I didn't know that if one followed basic pressing principles, one could be pressing wrong.

There is a real upsurge in the number of people quilting again, younger people, older quilters restarting, etc. It seems as if the more standardization there is with directions and patterns, the easier it would be for people to be successful, learn correctly, and find quilting a fun, relaxing hobby, instead of making it more difficult.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 AM

Ghostrider, you make some good points. I never quilted before using a rotary cutter, so the history is good information. The previously made point about the craftsy class instructor commenting that doesn't everybody use scant quarter inches again, makes me think that perhaps the standardization should have occurred when the switch was made from templates to the rotary cutters. Way too late I think. I am a person that really works hard to create accuracy in my quilts, as I also want my quilts to be the best they can be. I struggle very hard to read patterns, and feel that accuracy should be a standard. Like the lady in a previous post said, she had quilted for 40 years, and since directions now use the word "scant", she realizes that for 37 years she was doing it wrong. I bet she made some lovely quilts over that period of time. This is confusing to many people, just watch the board! Less confusion, and more fun. m
Old 03-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

On the two machines I sew on, the needle can not be moved, it is fixed. I eyeball the 1/4" line on the machine bed and just sew. I make quilts for my pleasure and am happy with the way they turn out. Only since joining this board have I seen anything about a scant 1/4". I have been making quilts since 1966. I have old quilt books and never recall seeing that term in those. I don't do intricate blocks or swaps. That would not denote pleasure to me and I am all about my pleasure.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:13 AM

I'm doing Eleanor Burns Day & Night and yes you need a scant 1/4" for things to fit together. I found that out the hard way...rippit rippit! That said, the pattern is stunning and directions clear and concise with lots of diagrams.