Kindle

Old 03-28-2012, 07:11 AM

BellaBoo, you are so helpful with Kindles. I am just learning since I have only had my Kindle Keyboard for a week. I am amazed how quickly I can figure out how to use different features on it. Thanks for all of your input!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Anonymous

Originally Posted by w7sue View Post
My question is - is it just for reading a book or does it have an audio book capability too? Good luck with the decision and keep us posted. All this being said, if someone were to give me a Kindle as a gift, I would jump up and down with glee and take it!
You can download audio books onto it also. I guess the battery would need recharging more often if you did but I haven't checked.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:01 AM

I've had Nook Color for over a year and love it for reading, games, and occasional use for internet, email, when I travel. As many said, it's a personal choice. But when you get one, you wonder how you did without it! Oh, and magazines! I get National Geographic and a couple of others so I always have something to read in waiting rooms, or wherever.

Last edited by LynnVT; 03-28-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:46 PM

I have the big Kindle DX and the 3g wifi, My hubby has a 3G, ( he mainly listens to the audio books) and we got my granddaughter a 3g. I LOVE them, the 3g lives in my purse so it's always with me, I worked in a bookstore for 10 years and to say that I had a huge collection of books was an understatement. I had a room full. Since I got my Kindle, I have sold all the books and now have a room full of fabric. It is so nice to know that my little Kindle can hold 3,000 books and not take up shelf space that can be used for my fabric stash. I also use www.pixelofink.com to get free books. I recommend getting a Kindle to anyone that will listen.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:54 PM

So, All buddies, I did buy a Kindle........about 2 weeks ago...went to Best Buy and chose the one with 3G, wifi,touch screen, etc.....so confusing.......my first hurdle was connecting my Router so that I could download from the Public Library....I did not know my router had a password.....kind young man tech from Amazon walked me thru finding it on the laptop...phew!!!!Another password......so finally got the book downloaded from the library. I was a bit disappointed at all the waiting lists for books I was interested in at the PL-why did I think there was an unlimited amount......out there in the ethernet.......still having a bit of a problem "turning the pages"-have overshot a few times and had a hard time finding my way back....wish the page numbers were on the bottom so I could kind of keep an eye on where I am. Like the fact I can change the font to a more comfortable size. I still don't quite understand the concept......I have jotted down the names of websites for free books. I am not interested in buying any, my reading source has always been the library...oh, an occasional garage sale find!!!! Now, I have read here that there are free games available--like crossword, word type games, not those crazy shoot 'em up, blow 'em up type....how, where, may I ask. I was looking to make a cover for the "thing", but when I looked on site for some ideas.....I saw what was called a "skin". Does anyone know what that is???? I still have reservation and somedays wonder why I bought this, but I am sure that will change and I will grow to appreciate it more. Another thing to learn........Thanks for all your input.......
Old 04-11-2012, 05:55 PM

Congrats on the Kindle Touch. I have the Kindle Keyboard as they call it now; it is the one with 3G and Wi-Fi.

As for the games: Go here

Also, I like to check the Best Sellers list. They list the Top Paid books as well as the Top Free book. The top free books will change hourly so if you see one you might like, get it now as the next hour it might not be free.

The skin is probably like a sticker, the best way to explain it. Very tough vinyl that you stick to the Kindle. When I got my Kindle last year, hubby also got me this cover. I love it! Yes I have thought about making a pretty pouch but this cover is durable and I love the light for reading at night. I am sure they have one to fit your Kindle.

As for turning the pages, since mine isn't touch, I have no advice on that part.

Also, you can lend some books. So if you know someone with a Kindle and you like the same books, then they might can lend you a book for 14 days. However, books are only lendable once.

Oh for the page numbers, I thought they were going to start doing that but I have yet to see any. But I have gotten used to the % read now that I don't even look for page numbers.

Um, I think that is all I can think of right now. I hope you enjoy your Kindle. I love mine...actually about to go read some on a book.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:35 PM

I have been very, VERY disappointed in the selection of the free books on the Kindle. ALL of my favorite authors are selling their books.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
I have been very, VERY disappointed in the selection of the free books on the Kindle. ALL of my favorite authors are selling their books.
That's because your favorite authors must be "famous" authors, that is, not first time.

Try some of the free ones. I've read some really good books that I never would have read otherwise. I download some and after a chapter or two delete them, but have read many that were good. Give it a try! You have nothing to loose.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
And publishers set the price, not Amazon. I found my fav author now via the Free selection. Her first book was free and it sounded good so I got it. She is on Book 6 of the series and I am addicted to it. And it has been picked up to possible be a TV series; the rights have been bought. So excited. Most of the books I read now are from indie writers. The most I pay for them is $3 per book, some just $.99.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:33 AM

I have a first generation nook, my mom gave it to me when she got her nook color. I love it because when I want a new book, I don't have to wait to go to the store or for it to be shipped to me, I can buy it and download it immediately. I also have downsized my books, so I have more room on my shelves (maybe for fabric??!!). I can still check books out from the library- they have an ebook website. And I have the Nook app for my phone and nook study for my computer (free). (If you have a tablet you don't have to buy an ereader, just download the free app). Pretty much the only "real" books I buy anymore are craft books. I LOVE technology .

So sorry, no suggestions on which model to buy, just wanted to chime in how much I love my nook