snakes

Old 03-20-2012, 01:24 PM

Hi. We had a snake problem several years ago. We tried all the same remedies. The man at the CO-OP said to try Snake Away. Its a powder you sprinkle around the yard(edges) . We also have three cats. No snakes now. You must put it out each spring. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:38 PM

Is there alot of vegetation around the house and yard?? If so that is what attracts them..ie for the little critters that they eat...I have read that the repellants are only good in large quantities and then become more of a toxin to the yard...I would call a pest control company...I wish him luck..
Old 03-20-2012, 01:49 PM

Why are garter snakes a problem? They hurt nobody, don't damage property and kill rodents. We live in an area where there are a lot of harmless snakes and a few that are dangerous, but only if you corner them, step on them or try to pick them up. Garter snakes are our friends and deserve respect.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

sulfur. I went out to put some along fence one time...got a real creepy feeling and heard a voice say: "Turn around!"
That was my guardian angel talking, bc I was only feet away from an already coiled w. moccasin.
Tossed a handful of the sulfur and he took off.
Must have been a stubborn cuss, bc I told my "annie oakley- dd" and she went out and found him and blew him away.
Too many to feel sorry for any that come into my yard!!!!
Ye shall be introduced to Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson, if not the Winchester gang!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:53 PM

Try feeding them. They arent hurting anyone, can't get their mouths open far enough to bite your finger. They eat pests, and keep the world going around.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 PM

Pick the little guys up and take them somewhere more garter snake friendly (brushy/fallen bark/old logs) away from habitation. They don't hurt you but YOU will frighten them and they emit a very smelly musk.

BTW be sure to identify any snake you propose to handle.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:35 PM

Here in Oz, people with dogs have started using snake repellers. They send out a ultra sonic noise won't kill em but will deter them. I don't think if they are already under your garage floor this would work. It will only stop the ones coming in
Good luck
Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 AM

I would give anything to have a family of garter snakes living under anything in my yard. They eat mice. I terrified of mice.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:06 AM

I have rattlesnakes that come into my garage, believe me after you run into these guy's anything that crawls gets it's head chopped off.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:32 PM

they did a interview on local tv station last year and there was a house that has what looked like millions of garter snakes under it and lying in the yard everywhere. when the man tried to mow the grass, there were snakes everywhere. he carried them off by the bucketfuls and didn't make a dent in getting rid of them. they had taken over his house and yard. he couldn't find a solution to it at that time.