Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Artistic Quilter 18 >

Janome Artistic Quilter 18

Janome Artistic Quilter 18

Old 03-21-2012, 06:44 AM

Here's something you might try: Keep your eyes open for a quilt show in your area, check the vendor list to see if Janome will be there. If so, try and go. When I went to the Dallas Show (which is where I saw and bought my Artistic 18), not only was the district sales manager there, but so was a national Janome educator, she is the one that demo'd the machine and the computerized software. If enough people complain, maybe you can get an educator to come to central Florida to do a class for y'all. I just checked the Janome Event web site, they will be at the MIAMI HOME DESIGN SHOW this weekend 1901 Convention Center Drive Miami Beach, FL 33139. If calling customer service or appearing at one of the show events doesn't work for you, I have the email address for the District Sales Manager that we met in Dallas, he seemed to care. He was very generous with me and my husband and gave us micro handles, ruler mat and open toe stippling foot at no additional charge. Ask your dealer if they can request and set up a class hosted by a Janome national educator. Good luck. I hope that what you all are experiencing is not typical, it's scaring me.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:56 AM

Unhappy chiming in here

Hi to all, haven't visited in a while and seems you all have been busy! I am the one who bought my Janome through Thomas Sewing in Mesquite, Tx and they are positively great dealers. They listen to each and every phone call and go out of their way to answer any questions I have had. It's the dealers like the one SuzyQ is dealing with that give a company such a bad rep. I have always felt that Janome has strived for and maintained a great reputation throughout the years and I would venture to guess that they are unaware of some of these so-so dealers around. I do hope that they send an educator down to Florida, I would even drive several hours to attend. Thomas Sewing contacted me about the class at the end of this month and as much as I would love to go the airfare and cost of the trip is too much right now. I have been to three shows within the last year and Janome hasn't exhibited their longarm at any of them. I think I would contact someone to make sure they would be there.
I really hope SuzyQ gets her machine fixed, I really admire her for hanging in there so long. My machine has really only given me just a few problems, adjusting the top & bottom tensions really helped alot. The other problem was skipping stitches so wanted to share what I learned from that. I had joined the Yahoo group Tin Lizzie longarm and thought that because our Janome was made by Tin Lizzie that their hints and tricks would apply to ours. Not so! Their tension settings are different than ours and I even called the Tin Lizzie company and ordered their new ruler foot so I could start using those neat tools I bought. Please don't do that and waste your money. That is when I started having problems with skipped stitches. Ended up shipping the machine back to Thomas Sewing for a look see and turned out that the foot was causing the needle to deflect, hence skipped stitches. When the machine was returned the top tension was really tight, so tight I thought the thread would break but it sews beautifully. Whenever I lowered the needle through the foot everything seems ok but I will take their word for it. Haven't had a problems since. I hope SuzyQ gives everyone an update when she gets her machine back, I wish her the best. Judy in Tampa
Old 03-27-2012, 03:42 PM

Well, when I bought the Artistic at the Dallas Quilt Show, Thomas Sewing Center told me it would be 2 weeks. This past Sunday was 2 weeks, so I called today....the table is in; but it will be 1-3 weeks before the machine and the software arrive. I'm just boo hooin." My husband and I are going to the 5 hour class this Saturday, hopefully I'll remember what I learned.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 AM

Hello All...
guess what arrived at my doorstep last evening at 6 PM? Yes, my long arm :-)
didn't get to talk to anyone about it...But they did a complete cleaning, which is funny since it really hasn't gotten any use. They Lubricated, adj upper tension, adj lower tension, checked the motor ,checked the "A" board unit, adj the needle position, adj the hook timing AND replaced the bobbin case and the hook race unit!!!
so now I'm putting together something to quilt, hopefully it will now be smooth sailing :-) Will post back after I quilt something.
Judy you have no clue how many times I wanted to throw it out the door. Boy how I wish Thomas sewing center would open a location in my area. Would love any reputable dealer...trust me I will never go back to where this was purchased. Still need to find a dealer somewhat close by.

Good luck on saturday MsPintoBean, take notes so you'll remember till your machine arrives.
Suzy
Old 03-29-2012, 03:46 PM

Ms. PintoBean, my thoughts will be with you this week-end, sooo wish I could be there to learn, learn learn!!!
SuzyQ, well it's about time!!! Truly hope this will work for you, sounded like a complete overhaul was way past due!!
Let us know!!! Judy
Old 03-29-2012, 06:06 PM

Hi all. My LQS is sending one of their ladies over to look at our machine. It has been so fickle about bringing up the bobbin thread. Sometimes it works perfect and sometimes it takes a few tries and sometimes the thread gets stuck no matter how many times I try. Yesterday I loaded the practice quilt and threaded it with my most difficult thread to be ready for tomorrow and it sewed perfectly! Is it wrong to hope it acts up tomorrow for the LQS gal like it has been when it's just me? Hopefully I can get some help tomorrow!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:23 AM

Hello everyone,
well i don't have any promising news to report on the Artistic18 that came back. Took a week of playing around with the tension as it was still all loopy on the back worse than before. Got it to where i could live with it. Started a quilt this morning and now the top thread is breaking!
( what was sewn thus far looked pretty good)
I swear to God I don't know what else to do!
Are any of you truly happy with this machine?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:28 AM

I have a Majestic Frame with a Baby Lock Crown Jewel. I know it is a different machine than the Artistic, but the same problems occur with all of them and the learning curve is very difficult if the company does not provide classes or one on one instruction. Baby Lock has a 4 day class in St. Louis that was included in the deal that I got at the Cincinnatti Quilt Show. It was wonderful. The first day we spent a very long time on tension and on other potential problems with our machines. I have never had problems that I could not figure out quickly since then. We learned so much in those 4 days. I know with other machines, dealers sometimes have classes or one on one instruction. I think when they do not help buyers with these big purchases to learn how to use them, they are giving their product a bad name. People become frustrated and then let others know about it.
I hope you all can help each other to find some good instruction to ease the frustration that comes with these new machines.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:41 AM

RESPONSE TO SUZYQ2

SuzyQ2 - one of the things that was discussed in the class I took was thread; there was 11 in the class and many said that they had the best luck with KING TUT thread. Also, regarding the bobbin and winding, the bobbin when wound properly should be tight enough that it feels firm when pressed with your finger and you can't put your finger nail down through the thread; a spongy feeling bobbin will produce bad results. Now, when you put the bobbin into the casing; if you hold onto the loose thread, and let the bobbin while in the case fall, it should not be loose and not tight, it should fall some, but slowly.

Hello everyone,
well i don't have any promising news to report on the Artistic18 that came back. Took a week of playing around with the tension as it was still all loopy on the back worse than before. Got it to where i could live with it. Started a quilt this morning and now the top thread is breaking!
( what was sewn thus far looked pretty good)
I swear to God I don't know what else to do!
Are any of you truly happy with this machine?[/QUOTE]
Old 04-10-2012, 05:37 AM

I have a different machine but-loopy on the bottom-top need to be tighter.make sure the bobbin is not too tight.I only use glide thread and prewound bobbins now-and never have the problems I had with cotton thread.good luck I know how frustrating it can be .