Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with vintage quilt tops? >

What to do with vintage quilt tops?

What to do with vintage quilt tops?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by gramarraine View Post
I agree with Prism99, I would find a group or person that would hand quilt them for you. There are people on this board that hand quilt. Maybe one of them would be willing to quilt them for you. The GFG is really very pretty. Good luck and lucky you!
I would be happy to give you a quote if you PM me with the details.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:27 AM

My mission is to encourage people to get those stored quilt tops finished: by hand or machine doesn't matter, but most folks who inherit these treasures don't have a clue as to what to do with them. I have a blog where I show work I have done for others. I would be happy to visit with you if you will e-mail me a personal note. Best to you on this effort!
Enjoy your find.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:05 AM

I too have arthritis in my hands and the rest of my body.
What a great find. Wash them, machine quilt them and use them for that is the purpose for which they were made.
I don't think that any one of us makes a quilt to sit in a box and just be saved.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:19 AM

What beautiful tops! I also have a hand pieced top purchased at an estate sale and I'm going to tie it. I couldn't afford to have it hand quilted.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:51 PM

I am trying to hand quilt a GFG myself right now and have carpal tunnel. It is going on seven years and still not done. Some sewing machines have a wonderful stitch, at least my Bernina 165 does, that does six stitches per inch and looks like hand quilting. I have been using this to give the hand quilted look on some quilts and it works for me. I understand the true to hand stitched to hand quilt, but when ya can't and money is tight, then I say go for broke and use the machine. It will come out just as nice and you do not know the difference 99% of the time. Lovely find and so glad for you.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:55 PM

How lucky you are to have received these beautiful treasures. However you finish them, at least they will be completed and used. It really is up to you to decide.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:41 AM

I found a few vintage quilt tops at an auction. I purchased them in a box that no one wanted. There were three completed tops and one partially completed. I was afraid they would fall apart if I machine quilted, so I hand quilted each one lovingly! The one top that was only partially done, I copied the pattern and completed it - it's waiting until this next winter to be hand quilted. I just love these older styles - I can feel the love in each piece!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:44 AM

I fail to see why machine quilting would make a difference. Better that than they waste away in a box somewhere. They are lovely.......
Old 03-30-2012, 09:20 AM

Thank you everyone!! It makes me feel so much better to know that it would be ok to machine quilt them. I may save the big one to get hand quilted by someone, maybe I can find someone that wants to barter some of the extra blocks or something. I really am enjoying all the treasures in the boxes and learning a lot about the lady herself. I think she would be happy just having someone use these. She saved even the smallest pieces of fabric and used it all for her quilts. Her stitching is so beautiful and even. Even after washing there are no loose places!! I wont be able to hand quilt them, but I will try to do her proud when I finish them for her. Right now I am trying to get them washed and freshened up so they dont smell so bad.
I am so glad that the quilt police wont come get me!! lol and I do worry about the quilt ghost!!
Here is a couple more pictures for you. The wedding quilt is machine quilted, I bet it was done on a tredle machine, I found the instruction book! And I found the rest of the blocks for the blue and white one. Does anyone know what the name of it is?
Have a wonderful day!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lowes 3-28-2011 005.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	323847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lowes 3-28-2011 006.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	323849  
Old 03-30-2012, 09:26 AM

Those are very nice tops! I think you mean the Wedding Ring quilt is machine pieced, I don't see any quilting on it.