Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question (not about quilting) but about sewing clothing?  Can anyone help? >

Question (not about quilting) but about sewing clothing? Can anyone help?

Question (not about quilting) but about sewing clothing? Can anyone help?

Old 04-01-2012, 07:44 AM

Default Question (not about quilting) but about sewing clothing? Can anyone help?

I purchased a pattern to make my granddaughters a little bubble dress. I need the largest size and the smallest size. How do you cut out the patterns for both sizes when the lines all intersect for each size? How can you even trace it onto something else when you have all those different size lines? Probably a stupid question but I thought there would be different pieces for each size. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by mommabear62 View Post
I purchased a pattern to make my granddaughters a little bubble dress. I need the largest size and the smallest size. How do you cut out the patterns for both sizes when the lines all intersect for each size? How can you even trace it onto something else when you have all those different size lines? Probably a stupid question but I thought there would be different pieces for each size. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
I only buy patterns from Hobby Lobby when they are 99 cents (which is at least every other month). I buy 2 or 3 because at that price it isn't worth trying to trace off on other paper. I agree that especially on small sizes it is almost impossible to trace the sizes and I don't have a lot of patience anyway. I would think you would have to use tracing paper or something you can see the lines through. Sometimes I use scrapes from pattern pieces to trace off small pieces instead of stopping to unpin and repin a piece that more pieces are needed.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by mommabear62 View Post

Thanks so much.
I usually just fold the pattern back and cut the fabric not the pattern. The other suggestion of buying two patterns when they are on sale is good also. If it is a pattern I'm going to use often, I'll either reinforce it with tape or make another with tissue/heavier paper. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:10 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

If you follow the lines carefully you will be able to trace them.
I use 'pattern fabric' from fabric stores like Joannes and Hancock; it's in the stablilizer/interfacing section and looks like 1" squares printed in blue or pink in a grid on lightweight interfacing-looking stuff.
I like it because it doesn't tear easily, I can write instructions on it with a Sharpie pen, it can be folded and placed back in the envelop, it can even be "fitted" to the body and altered a bit, and I can still use the drawn pattern years later.

Jan in VA
Old 04-01-2012, 08:12 AM

I usually trace the size I want onto inexpensive interfacing. That way you can use any of the sizes in the pattern. Especially good to preserve the bigger sizes for growing kids or big sisters.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 AM

Thanks so much for the suggestions ladies!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 AM

I keep a large roll of Freezer wrap handy, for tracing patterns. It's pretty wide but if you need something wider, just tape two lengths together.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 AM

Hancock's has Butterick patterns for $.99 and McCall's for $1.99 on April 4, 5, 6, and 8. Joanne's and WalMart will also honor this coupon during that time. I hope this fits your time frame. Happy Sewing!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:56 AM

I trace mine on freezer paper so I can use the pattern later or sell it when I am done with it, once cut its permanent, can't be put back together
Old 04-01-2012, 12:22 PM
BMP

I remember the days when upi actually had a pattern piece for each size !!!