Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about a design. >

Question about a design.

Question about a design.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:38 PM

Default Question about a design.

I was given a quilt by my grandmother about 13 years ago. She had bought it from qvc and it was hand made. It has wore down to the point where I can no longer use it and it is too small for my new king size bed. I was hoping someone would be able to give me the name of the quilt and possible the measurements as me and my grandmother were hoping to recreate it in a king size. I am attaching the photo.
Any response would be greatly appreciated. and i know the quilt is very worn out.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:41 PM

that is beautiful! sadly, I don't know the name of the pattern
Old 04-01-2012, 05:26 PM

It looks like a version of a Radiant Star design. I've not seen that particular star. It could have come out of someone's imagination! Or it could be a real star design. I'd check the quilt block libraries for the star design. It probably started as a quilt block somewhere. The person who is most responsible for making the Radiant Star Quilt popular is Eleanor Burns, the "Quilt in a Day" lady. She has a book out called "Radiant Star Quilts". I know I have it, and just tore the house apart looking for it, but can't find it.

Would it be possible for you to make a paper copy -- design it on graph paper -- of this quilt? I've done that. And then using the original, you could enlarge the blocks by however much you need to make a king sized quilt?

Write if you need more information on how to re-create the design.

Cheers!
Old 04-01-2012, 05:47 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I immediately thought of Judy Mathieson's amazing Mariner's Compass quilt that won in Houston years ago. Your picture is so close to it, I can't help but think the manufacturer (probably Chinese made) took this idea from her. Checkout her title page on her website.... http://web.mac.com/jackmathieson/Jud...n/Welcome.html

Jan in VA
Old 04-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

Wow, Jan... I think you hit the nail on the head!