Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Singer 319 in need of TLC >

Singer 319 in need of TLC

Singer 319 in need of TLC

Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

I'm thinking about putting a hand crank on this machine.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:53 AM

Here is the knob that you turn to lower the feed dogs. Though, lowering them doesn't help with the ability to do FMQ. I've still not found a good hopping foot for the 319 and have not been able to do good FMQ. So....lowering the feed dogs doesn't do much. But, my hunt will go on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Singer 319 in need of TLC.jpg
Views:	1183
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	318680  
Old 03-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

Thank you Candace. I will have to go and look at mine. I have a very old FM spring thingy I've used on a 15 clone - I bet that thing would work wonders on there. I just wish someone still made the spring thingy - I sure would hate to have it break. Someone pointed out that this machine will NOT hand crank. The motor mount is not directly below the balance wheel. To HC it would need to be lined up. BUMMER. Since I don't have a treadle table this will fit, I'm thinking about putting a good set of wires on there from another machine and see how it does until DH gets around to wiring things up or until I find a table. I found a very nice set of disks for this machine. Mr. Ed is almost good to go. I never did make a part two on the clean up. We just kept going on here but I'm glad we did it like this. Also this is not on the sewing machine section it is on the picture section.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:29 PM

Not a Quilter and have yet to make my First stitch with my new ( to me) 306W BUT.... from what I have read, tension problems are very Common with 306/319 series machines that people have messed with in trying to get them to use standard needles. Something about raising the needle bar and then advancing the hook.... results in having to run very high tensions to make up for it. Since your machine had the other needles and i think you mentioned a needle bar adjustment..... I would look at your hook timing before I messed with the tension much. Just a thought i hope it helps . I am very interested in your progress as I have heard a LOT of negative about my newest addition ( 306W) and I am hoping that you ( and myself) will be the exception and be quite happy with our funky old Hybrid zig-zag machines. I got mine because my Singer 27 has no ZigZag and i want to be able to bar tack with a treadle.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. If you want and it will help I can link to a quote from an old singer techie on how to set up the hook timing and needle bar easily and without the gauges and such used in the service manual.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Power Poster

I've got my 319 running well. The tension on mine was so cruddy - I took it apart and re-did it - no problems. I haven't had any timing problems either. I think they never fooled with it - somebody just tried the needles and gave up on the machine. You never know someone here may really need that link. Please do post it. This has turned out to be a fantastic resource because everybody has been so willing to share!

I did some free motion last night with mine. It did ok until I tried to do 4 layers of denim - broke the needle. With the darning plate, there is not as much room under the foot as there is with my Japanese 15. I'm thinking Candace is right use a spring, drop the feed dogs and go for it with out the darning plate. My machine is using a borrowed motor and the original belt so FM didn't work all that well so far. The old belt wasn't gripping very well. It has some splits in it. Or it could be that I need to tighten it up a bit. Moments of not turning are not fun when you try to FM. I can see where a treadle would be a real good idea with this machine.

I've noticed that when you wind the bobbin, if some of the thread gets off track, it goes around the winder arm - thread gets stuck - kind of a pain. If you leave the thread in the crack the winder doesn't spin so well next time. It takes time to get it un-stuck.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Power Poster

A hand crank can not go on this machine. The balance wheel does not line up squarely with the motor 'boss' (motor mount)
Old 04-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Power Poster

Melinda, You never did post a pic of your needle clamp.
Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
Wow. Candace, I do not think my 319 needle clamp looks like that. I will take pics and post when I can.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
Not a Quilter and have yet to make my First stitch with my new ( to me) 306W BUT.... from what I have read, tension problems are very Common with 306/319 series machines that people have messed with in trying to get them to use standard needles. Something about raising the needle bar and then advancing the hook.... results in having to run very high tensions to make up for it. Since your machine had the other needles and i think you mentioned a needle bar adjustment..... I would look at your hook timing before I messed with the tension much. Just a thought i hope it helps . I am very interested in your progress as I have heard a LOT of negative about my newest addition ( 306W) and I am hoping that you ( and myself) will be the exception and be quite happy with our funky old Hybrid zig-zag machines. I got mine because my Singer 27 has no ZigZag and i want to be able to bar tack with a treadle.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. If you want and it will help I can link to a quote from an old singer techie on how to set up the hook timing and needle bar easily and without the gauges and such used in the service manual.
Boy I could have used that link a few weeks ago when my grandson messed my 319w up so bad I had to completely take it apart and put it back together! My 319w was so jammed up that I had to remove the hook/race, whole bobbin assembly area, position finger - then put it all back and time the needle/hook while getting that position finger in the correct spot so the thread would clear it. Anyway, I did it and other than that one mess up, have had no problems with the tension on any of the stitches with the cams nor built in. I use my 319w in treadle only - don't even have a motor for her - and, I love that machine! I have not tried to mess with the needle bar so she'll be able to use 15x1 needles. I see no need to do that - I have a stash of the 206x13's and see no need to 'mess' with what works the best.

I have not heard bad things about the 306 - it should be just as dependable as the 319. Good luck with your 306! You should post a photo![ATTACH=CONFIG]324683[/ATTACH]

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	319 in cabinet.JPG
Views:	786
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	324683  

Last edited by BoJangles; 04-02-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 AM

Default Unable to find the link

Sorry, I went back through my browser history and I was unable to find the link to the forum ( I was sure it too was a quilting forum) but I had so many windows open and was following so many search links I just can't dig it up...... However it DID look important and useful to me so I copy and pasted the quote.

I would not normally do this as I am unsure who to credit this too, Pretty certain it is Bill Holmes, who I gathered was something of an expert on that and other forums. if I am wrong Forgive (and correct) me I am really posting this with the best intent.

anyway here goes :

"Usually, the big problem in getting these machines timed right is
that someone has retimed them from the lower pulley of the timing
belt, and thrown the feed off as well. That's why the first check
should be the feed timing in relation to the needle bar. First, be sure
that the feed is dropping below the plate as the 206X13 needle
enters the fabric. If not, retime this with that lower timing belt
pulley. Next, time the hook to the needle, using the set screws on
the rear collar of the hook itself, and having it intersect center position at about 2.5 mm rise of
the needle bar. Next, set the height of the needle bar. Put it on left position, and set the height so
that the hook comes just above the eye. If it's done in this order, you don't need any timing
marks, and I can almost guarantee a good result.

Bill Holman
Madison, Wisconsin"

oh and I see I got the signature line ... there you have it

Dan
Old 04-02-2012, 09:41 AM

Default Pictures

I forgot to mention, I will be placing the 306 in the treadle today, I will include pictures if anyone is interested. it will be replacing a kinda ugly model 27 ( made in 1900) that was given to me and that my 9yo daughter and I cleaned up and made her first real sewing project on. Since then I found a nice older 128 with pretty decal set that I am hoping to get cleaned up and put in a nice desk/cabinet unit for her birthday. I can include pictures of the 27 as well if anyone is into that kind of thing around here.

A word of Caution, be VERY VERY careful around these classic old singers. the 27 was free, but missing the long bobbin and the shuttle.... I E-bayed a black side centenial 128 for the shuttle and bobbin, and then another just because I thought the first was so cool and the second was so cheap. This lead to me wanting a 3/4 Size for the daughter and the purchase of a couple of 99's ( only to find out she really wanted a cool old looking one like the treadle with pretty decals) so the no "godzilla" finish "pretty 128 followed and somewhere along the way a Very rusty old 15 came my way as kind of a challenge, So i went from my moms old electric to having hmmm about a dozen of the classics in about a month. They are so smooth and magical that a classic may well lead to more than one. they are wonderful addictive and magical all at the same time.

Enjoy !

Dan