Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Singer 319 in need of TLC >

Singer 319 in need of TLC

Singer 319 in need of TLC

Old 04-02-2012, 11:38 AM

ok
here is a picture, mind you this is just initial clean de gunk and lube to make sure it work. Still needs a detail clean and polish, but it looks pretty good. And QUIET ? wow this thing is really a nice machine, To bad my treadle belt is dry rotted and broke after just a few revolutions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]324759[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7039673685_17a8f7be07_c.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	324759  
Old 04-02-2012, 11:53 AM

Nice!! Isn't it funny how "just one treadle" turns into such a slippery slope??
Old 04-02-2012, 12:50 PM

and the sad part is.... I am not what I would consider someone who sews! I have made a couple of ultralight backpacks and I do small repairs on my outdoor gear. I just love the machinery. This machine though has given me hope that I can tackle my "next" project. one of my snowmobiles has a seat cover that needs replaced.

as an update, I managed to scrounge together an "aquarium tubing" belt and have "run in" this machine for about 5-10 minutes and it is oiled up and smooth as silk, there is the slightest of "ticks" coming from the bobbin case area ( just some looseness...I can place my finger on it lightly and it gets eerily silent) I honestly do not know where these people get the idea that these machine are rough and noisy. I love mine, just waiting on needles and I will be good to go .... oh and some cams, I would love to have some cams. ( I don't even have the standard zig zag) I know the "book" says to not operate it without a cam in place..... but after inspecting the innards very carefully and looking at the motion with an engineers eye.... honestly the cam is pointless in straight stitch mode, the only thing I can figure is it would prevent the follower block from becoming sticky by keeping it in slight motion.

wish me luck
Dan
Old 04-04-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
ok
here is a picture, mind you this is just initial clean de gunk and lube to make sure it work. Still needs a detail clean and polish, but it looks pretty good. And QUIET ? wow this thing is really a nice machine, To bad my treadle belt is dry rotted and broke after just a few revolutions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]324759[/ATTACH]
Dan did you post this in the photo shop? We need it posted in the Vintage Photo Shop too with a little blurb of what it is, what year, the whole unit showing - machine and cabinet so we can all oogle over it! http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t130994.html

Nancy
Old 04-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

ok
]
I'm liking that black 306 machine - it looks stately. I won a 306 at the GW auction yesterday. It was very dirty. It is tan under all the gross dirt. There are parts that are the godzilla finish and parts are smooth but not shiny. I cleaned it up for a couple minutes, opened up the bobbin and out popped a black bobbin. Then I threaded it and it sews perfectly. The wiring fell apart all over the place. I'm thinking I wish I had a treadle table it would fit into. It only has the one cam on it. It really is just like the Singer 319 without the keys. I need to do an all out clean up in the near future. I already like this one a lot.

Last edited by miriam; 04-14-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:44 PM

Love it, lot of work there, thank you for sharing
Have a Blessed day
Ellen
Old 04-14-2012, 02:54 PM

and the sad part is.... I am not what I would consider someone who sews! I have made a couple of ultralight backpacks and I do small repairs on my outdoor gear. I just love the machinery. This machine though has given me hope that I can tackle my "next" project. one of my snowmobiles has a seat cover that needs replaced.

as an update, I managed to scrounge together an "aquarium tubing" belt and have "run in" this machine for about 5-10 minutes and it is oiled up and smooth as silk, there is the slightest of "ticks" coming from the bobbin case area ( just some looseness...I can place my finger on it lightly and it gets eerily silent) I honestly do not know where these people get the idea that these machine are rough and noisy. I love mine, just waiting on needles and I will be good to go .... oh and some cams, I would love to have some cams. ( I don't even have the standard zig zag) I know the "book" says to not operate it without a cam in place..... but after inspecting the innards very carefully and looking at the motion with an engineers eye.... honestly the cam is pointless in straight stitch mode, the only thing I can figure is it would prevent the follower block from becoming sticky by keeping it in slight motion.

wish me luck
Dan
Dan, I'm convinced people who complain about the noise from these machines don't have them adjusted correctly. Usually the finger under the feed dog plate hasn't been set perfectly and can make it louder than it really needs to be!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Dan, I'm convinced people who complain about the noise from these machines don't have them adjusted correctly. Usually the finger under the feed dog plate hasn't been set perfectly and can make it louder than it really needs to be!
You know I have never hear any kind of ticking coming from my 319w? I'd bet Candace is right - the tick has something to do with the position finger not adjusted correctly. If it is too close maybe the thread is catching slightly - thus the clicking sound?

Nancy
Old 05-15-2012, 09:24 AM

I have messed with that finger to no avail ( way more than I should have really, trying to get it set to work with very heavy thread) still just a slight rattle, nothing bad , but not silent either. I should really post some more video of it when I get the treadle noise under control.
oh at the noise is more like the finger is a tad anrrow or something, the whole hook assembly kinda clicks back and forth making the smallest of metalic "clicks" each time it contacts the finger.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 AM

Well, remember, these machines were not designed for industrial use or for use with industrial type, heavy threads. My 319 doesn't make the noise you describe, but I'm not trying to feed it anything other than typical sewing thread. If you're using the largest needle and have played with the finger it may just be the nature of the beast. Of course, I'm assuming your timing and needle bar height is correct and feed dogs are working as they should...