Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to quilting and love the look of batik fabric >

New to quilting and love the look of batik fabric

New to quilting and love the look of batik fabric

Old 09-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I just looked at your "farm chores" quilt and all I can say is wow! If you are doing applique of that quality, and originality, you are truly gifted. Quilts like that should be in books, and you should be teaching how to make them. Where do you live? If it's near me, I would like to get in touch. We're having a quilt show in October and would LOVE to display your quilts.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:17 AM

Aaah, your first quilt! There was (of course) a time when I was at the point that you are now. Having learned the hard way, I would advise that you buy fabric that is not so expensive that you would "beat yourself up" if the end result is not to your liking, BUT, on the other hand, DO buy fabric that you like so that you will enjoy your first quilt project when it is finished. Buy 100% cotton, not too loosely woven and not see-through. My first quilt is a king sized bed quilt and, more than 10 years later, I am still hand quilting it. Some of the fabrics in it are polyester and some are just weird and some of the colors are poorly placed, but the quilt is well worth finishing and DH says it belongs to him ... he loves it.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:01 AM

Hi from Newfoundland Canada. My daughter gets most of my fabrics from Jo-Ann's on sale and with that she she gets a weekly coupon for 40% off. So you see my fabrics are very inexpensive. Only one coupon for one cut of fabric per week. So when you go to Jo-Ann's ask to be put on their list for weekly coupons. I plan my projects well in advance and that gives her time to get the fabrics I want. I will be visiting my daughter in October in Denver and already she has a suitcase full of fabric for me to bring home. Getting my hands on fabric is better than Christmas!! My daughter visited me in July and what did she bring me? Of course.....FABRIC. Planning ahead is the key to inexpensive fabrics. :D
Old 09-03-2009, 02:32 PM

Welcome from Espyville PA! I love the Batiks too! Haven't had a chance to quilt with them as of yet. When the weather is good up here in Northwest PA, I stay outside, the winters are too long, that's when I plan on quilting.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

I don't know a lot about Batiks but I would recommend that you check the sales rack at your local LQS. I usually get my backing from the 50% off aisle. You'll be surprised. In a few months you'll be asking how to best store your stash. lol

Happy shopping.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:41 PM

You're going to love this site, and all the wonderful people involved in quilting here to encourage and help you. Without sounding too dramatic, this site has been a lifeline for me. I have been home and unable to work or go out much for the past year due to having my back rebuilt (3rd time for back surgery). With this site, you can talk to friends you haven't met yet all day and night!
So, welcome from Sheree from Chicago. I will be here to cheer you on girl!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:11 AM

As a teacher when I teach a beginners class, I tell my students to buy the best fabric they can afford. You might start with a throw size or twin quilt and one that needs only 3 or 4 different fabrics. That way you might can afford quilt shop quality fabric for your first quilt. And start with a simple pattern.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:37 AM

Hi Sherry,

I, too, love batiks. You might try Fabric Depot online. They are having sales all the time, including batiks.

http://fabricdepot.com/

This is the link. Take a look and enjoy.

Welcome to the Quilting Board.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:03 AM
say

Sorry to just now get back with all of you. To address a few things, Is what I am reading that fabrics from sites like Marshalls Dry Goods may not be the same quality as a quilt shop fabric or maybe Joanne Fabrics? I also would not want to put all that amount of work into a quilt and use fabric that will not last. The quilts I have made, and will hopefully make, are ones that I hope will be passed down through my grand childrens family. I have 4 quilts that were made by my husbands great grandmother, and are well over 100 years old. They mean a lot to me, and only since I started making some myself did I realize the amount of work that has gone into them, and the amount of love. These have all been pieced, and that is something I have not even tried yet. In response to "Dunster", that is a huge compliment, and I really thank you. I cannot take credit for the design, though. I found this as a small picture size drawing that you were to color and frame. I tried to contact the printer to see if it was OK to "blow up" the image but they were out of business. I asked a few people and since I was not selling it, I was told it would be OK to do so. I made my own patterns from the blown up image. It was a lot of fun finding just the right fabric designs. I live in Ohio, so I am afraid not close to you. I am, however, entering them in our county fair this year, so that should be fun!
Old 09-05-2009, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by say
To address a few things, Is what I am reading that fabrics from sites like Marshalls Dry Goods may not be the same quality as a quilt shop fabric or maybe Joanne Fabrics? I also would not want to put all that amount of work into a quilt and use fabric that will not last.
The fabrics from Fabric Depot are all name brand fabrics that you find in the quilt shops. I have been in the actual store in Portland, Oregon and felt the fabrics and looked at the names. I have bought from in the store and online. Never disappointed.