Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art Quilters? >

Art Quilters?

Art Quilters?

Old 03-26-2012, 12:33 AM

Okay, I'm in... geometric challenge uummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 03-26-2012, 05:41 PM

Sistahebbra, you made a beautiful art quilt. I love the song you chose to illustrate also.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 AM

Why thank you SewExtremeSeams, it's one of my old time favorites
Old 03-27-2012, 10:00 AM

Wink Challenge taken! Well mostly

I got so inspired with the discussions flying around on the board that I started my Geo Q before the challenge guidelines were issued. It hangs on the design board all pieced and bordered-but it is about 26" x 16". It just said it wanted to be that big--what could I do? Tell it 'no? Quilting slated for today---sigh! Next time can we have more flexiibilty on the sizes? I like doing odd dimensions, weird shapes and since we are being arty why does size matter?

Thanks for starting the thread and I look forward to learning and participating here. This is what I love to do.

Awaiting the next challenge idea to develop into something. Open to ideas for topics?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:18 PM

Smile challenge quilt dimensions

Originally Posted by suziehammond View Post
I got so inspired with the discussions flying around on the board that I started my Geo Q before the challenge guidelines were issued. It hangs on the design board all pieced and bordered-but it is about 26" x 16". It just said it wanted to be that big--what could I do? Tell it 'no? Quilting slated for today---sigh! Next time can we have more flexiibilty on the sizes? I like doing odd dimensions, weird shapes and since we are being arty why does size matter?

Thanks for starting the thread and I look forward to learning and participating here. This is what I love to do.

Awaiting the next challenge idea to develop into something. Open to ideas for topics?
Suzie, in response to the quilt dimensions, the 12" square decision was in thinking if I set some parameters people wouldn't be overwhelmed with size. Sometimes not having any guidelines is as difficult as having too many. I'm more interested in seeing people have fun and give making art quilts a try. Therefore, I'm 'officially' removing any size restriction.

I'm so pleased you stayed true to what your artwork was leading you to do and that you addressed the topic here. It seems the term "art quilt" is raising questions for some as to what that means. Personally my goal is to make a visual statement using various art mediums (drawing, painting, beading, photography, fabric surface design, paper, collage, hand and machine stitching etc.) through experimentation and manipulation with color, shape and subject matter. To qualify as quilt, it has to be layered and stitched. To qualify as art ~ that is always in the eye of the beholder.

The theme challenge is just one of several approaches for inspiring art quilt creativity. We could also use any one of the above mediums as a requirement in our next challenge. I want to learn by challenging myself to try new things and get out of my comfort zone. How else will we know what we are capable of? For the April challenge I'm asking for reader input - make some suggestions and I'll choose one of them.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by sistahdebbra View Post
Wow, I did my "first" art quilt last year. A friend challenged several of us to do a tribute to Mahalia Jackson (in celebrating her 100th birthday, if she was still living). And this was my Art Quilt. I scrattered words in the song from magazines, machine stitched and covered with netting.
Wonderful interpretation sistahdebbra! I've never attempted a face or body depiction - waaaaay out of my comfort zone, but yours is quite successful not only in following the theme, but in the supportive choices you made to emphasize Mahalia's music and spirituality. Nice job.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:19 AM

Have you all seen this website? http://www.quiltingdaily.com/
Great blogs, free e-books, and more.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:38 PM

Thumbs up April Art Quilt Challenge

Hooray for your enthusiast response to eagerly pursue art quilting. This thread is for all levels of interest and experience. We are here to learn from and inspire each other through our experiments, successes and yes, even the projects that didn't quite fulfill our expectations. A month passes quickly - only 30 days in this one. Since no one has made a theme challenge suggestion I have come up with this idea:

1. This is a three color challenge - Black, White and One Color of your choice.
2. No rules on size, materials or subject (just keep it internet appropriate).
3. Quilt Top, Backing and Batting with hand or machine stitching to qualify as a quilt.
4. Finish the edge by hand or machine, binding or not, any shape is acceptable.
5. Post a photograph with a short description of your piece. Anything you want to share with us.

Most of all, have fun! I'm hoping we have at least a dozen submissions this month. I am heading to my studio right now to pull fabrics. Since there are seven colors in the rainbow I'd like to make a quilt for each color and force myself to try a different technique in each one. The challenge is on folks!!
Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 AM

Okay! I didn't make one for the first challenge. April's challenge looks a little more doable time-wise. Putting my thinking cap on with sewww many possibilities.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:12 PM

Default Bonus Incentive

The first person to START and COMPLETE an April challenge piece this month, adhering to all the guidelines, including posting with a photograph and a short description of their art quilt, wins the opportunity to choose the challenge theme for May. Or if you prefer ~ you may pass the opportunity to choose a theme to the second qualifier if you wish. The race is on!