Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting Blood out of Fabric >

Getting Blood out of Fabric

Getting Blood out of Fabric

Old 04-05-2012, 05:52 PM

I used peroxide on a white blouse and it left yellow spots that never came out.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:01 PM

Ditto on the peroxide
Old 04-05-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
the enzyme that is needed to dissolve blood is contained in the saliva of the person to whom the blood belongs. So, have your son spit lots on the stain until it is wet then let it sit a bit then wash. This usually works especially if the blood is fresh. I managed to bleed on the white background of an applique piece after sticking my finger and not realizing it. No sign of the blood now after I saliva-ed it to death!
That's exactly what I have been told to do and it has worked for me too. Although it should be done soon after it happens so not sure if waiting will make a difference or not. Good luck!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:01 PM

Anytime I try to get blood stains out - I use Hydrogen Peroxide & it does the trick!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by flhomeschoolmom View Post
Well, I can't get my son to spit on that shirt today as he still has slightly bloody spit after having 12 teeth cut out yesterday. And he definately can't chew thread...

The stain is a drool line in a couple of streaks down about 1/2 of the shirt. It missed the neck/shoulder line because when he fell asleep his head dropped forward. The blue on the shirt is very dark, so I don't think that this reddish brown stain will be as much of an issue with that part of the shirt. But boy does it stand out on the white part. I have it soaking in Arm and Hammer + Oxy detergeant right now. If it comes out of the washer and still has the stain then I guess I'll line dry it until mostly dry and then apply peroxide as I already have that at home.
Either I am too tired and should get off here and go to bed, or this really is as funny as I think it is!!!! I truly am sorry you have this problem though. lol Have you tried lemon juice and sunlight?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:47 PM

Hi. Your own spit takes out your own blood. Give it to the kid and let him spit on it.
Judy
Old 04-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Power Poster

Try amonia/water in an inconspicious place to see if the color will come out. If not, then use that and use a tooth brush and pat gently, don't rub, then wash. Blood is a protein stain and amonia will take it out. I worked for a dry cleaner for many years and that's what we used.

Or you can try grandma's secret spot remover, that stuff is wonderful!! You can get it at hancock but not sure where else.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

I have always had great results with Shout spray. I have a bit of a clummsy DH and I am always working on blood stains. Cold water first, let it soak. Never use any soap at this stage. If the cold water doesn't work I spray Shout on it and let it set untill I do the wash. Throw it in and wash in cold water. It seems to work for me.
peace
Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 PM

Oxi-Clean sprayed on.