Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How good a housekeeper are you? >

How good a housekeeper are you?

How good a housekeeper are you?

Old 04-08-2012, 02:52 AM

I am neither a good nor a bad housekeeper. I am simply NOT a housekeeper.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CharlotteO View Post
if you are coming to see me, come anytime, if you are coming to see my house, make an appointment!!!
I'm with CharlotteO
And I'd need at least 24 hours leadtime
Old 04-08-2012, 03:15 AM

Somewhere on this board I read "that they will remember your quilts not how clean your house was" Every so often I get the cleaner they use to clean the streets in and a major dust buster and go for it. But other than that with a retired Dh I just make a minimal effort.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:29 AM

I would say I am not the best, but certianly not the worst. Part of the problem is I am allergic to dust!! And I ask myself every single day why I live in Arizona. So my house is usually picked up, not messy, but not over the top clean either. I so need to clean this computer desk
Old 04-08-2012, 03:35 AM

DH is a much better housekeeper than I am. He dusts and cleans everything but my sewing studio. Boy is it ever dusty in here. When I don't work, I'd rather be sewing. I swear dust bunnies breed in this room!!! I do dust it once every week and a half. Should be twice a week though.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:35 AM

I hate housecleaning but love a clean home. So, I have a cleaning woman come in every other week. When DD was in high school and she and all her friends were always hanging at our place, she came in weekly. This is a treat for me that is so so so worth the money.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:16 AM

I dont have dust bunnies, i have wooly mammoths! ( we have 3 long haired cats) my new saying is this- if your hobby is what you do in your spare time, then housecleaning must be my hobby and quilting is my job(read passion). I like a clean house but dont want to spend time keeping it that way. Sometimes I'm just lazy.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:16 AM

I hate it! Hate it! Hate it!
I do enjoy knowing when my house is clean but stay out of my way when its necessary ( like company coming) I resent every minute of my life wasted on cleaning. Pre menopause I used to have to strip to my underwear to clean, I'd be so angry and frustrated at doing this silly job again. Now I don't have hot flashes I can keep my clothes on. I do try to "swiffer" once a week. This house we deliberately have no carpet. Area rugs get shaken and professionally cleaned once a year.
MaryKatherine
Old 04-08-2012, 06:24 AM

When I was married and had 2 kids and a dog my house was spotless. If you walked into the house at almost anytime of the day you would not know anyone lived there,everything was in it place and perfect enough for a photo shoot. When I think of all the time I wasted keeping the house that clean it frosts me. I should have spent it playing with my kids or taking a walk, anything but cleaning . A house should be clean enough so it isn't just a path through clutter to get from one room to another. A little dust ,pet hair never hurt anyone.

I do have to clean up after every project and vacuum/mop once a week . I try to keep clutter to a minimum but it doesn't work too well when everything you own is in just 2 rooms and my brother is a "collector" I keep reminding him that he wants to retire someday in the next 10 yrs and move to Hawaii with his kids so it is easier to get rid of stuff little by little.:-)
Old 04-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

When I retired I said I would keep the house "company ready". Haha. What does help me is watching Hoarders. I am not a Hoarder but it inspires me to get rid of things I don't want anymore. Things are usually okay here. Usually and okay being the operative words.