Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 04-10-2012, 02:05 AM
Power Poster

So far so good on the no soda thing. Last night, hubby walked into room and said "are you soda free?"....guess I forgot to tell him. When I said yes, he told the kids they will all have to move out for a week!!!!! Hmmmmm. I did try lemon in my water......waiting on that to help bloating. Will try separating veggies and fruit as suggested!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:31 AM

I am just seeing this, so as always I am to late, but My twin Sister and I started a contest, and Diet March the 3rd, and she is ahead of me already, she has lost 21 pounds and I have lost 18 pounds in 5 weeks. so I know you all can do it. you will have to to moving and be tuff.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:48 AM

Oh ladies, it's getting interesting in my house! While printing a coupon for Mill End Textiles (I get to go there this weekend with a 60% coupon - WOW!), I noticed that hubby had printed off weigh in sheets. We did this a couple years ago. Well, he hasn't said a thing about the weight I have lost in the last months, but he must be noticing it because now he's getting on the bandwagon. Will be easier to moniter eating if he is also trying to leave the carbs and sweets alone.

I need to get to the grocery store because I'm out of dried beans. Have really enjoyed them.

I need to get some baking done for daughter's graduation. So that's what my next 2 days look like. Will take everything down on Friday and leave it there.

Please send up some prayers for good traveling. This will be the first time that Mom has traveled in years. So trying to think of things that will make the weekend go easier. She is really worried and it will show up somewhere.

Take care - treat yourself good and the eating will be good also.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 AM

Hi Everyone- Wow, doesn't it seem like April has just flown by?? I can't believe it is the 10th already! I had a nice Easter with my family at our friend's house. Can't say I ate all that well, but it could have been worse I guess. I did manage to stay away from the Easter candy this year.

Cindy, I got my FQ in the mail just yesterday. Sorry it will be a few days late! Are you feeling better?

I hope you are having fun on your new machine Blondeslave! How exciting! And congrats on last month's weight loss too!

Sassey, maybe you could meet with a nutritionist while in the hospital to help set up an eating plan for you. With your medical issues it may be helpful to get some advice. Hope you are on the mend.

Good job giving up the soda Alicat! Not easy, I know. I drank tons of soda (although we call it pop in Ohio!) in my 20's & remember being quite addicted. Now I drink the occasional diet coke when out but not very often. I do dring a lot of carbonated water though! My favroite is Arrowhead Lemon Essence- no cals or sodium, just the bubbles I like!

Gayle, your salsa sounds wonderful! Do you use a food processor? I do when I make salsa in the summer when we grow tomatoes. I only make a few cups at a time though. My favorite store bought is Rojo's Restaurant Style. Wish I had some this morning with the big egg frittata (broccilli, muchrooms, 2 lite sausages, 2 eggs, 1/8 cup cheese) I made. I only had Pace on hand.

Hope all goes well with you daughter's graduation Everose & your mom does ok with the travel. What an exciting time for your daughter! Mine was just home for spring break- always nice to have her here.

Have fun at the quilt show this weekend Meanmom.

Hope everyone is doing well this week. So far so good for me.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:53 PM

Late taboo Tues. This week let's all try to eat more fruits. Maybe a healthy fruit salad or fruit combo. A fruit you have never tried. Your choice. Please PM me with any suggestions for taboo's. Good ones or bad for you. Thanks,
Sorry I had a Dr.'s appt. and just thought about the taboo when I started reading the posts.
Pam S
Old 04-10-2012, 06:21 PM

Hi all, weighed in drs. office last week and up 1#. Hard to know why as I'm following food plan. I think my not getting into the therapy pool is taking a toll. He says to get there 2 times a week at least so making effort for Wed am. Got blood work and for 1 yr now I've had normal A1C readings Yeah!!! He says if I continue I'll beat type 2 diabetes. It killed my dad at 66 and I'm 63 now. So I take this weight loss stuff really to heart. Getting through the pain to get to gym is difficult. Problem with exercising at home is I can't tell when I'm tearing muscles and I've torn my chest and leg muscles badly. They aren't healing. Any ideas on what I can do to increase mobility when I'm not able to walk much or stretch much. I do lots of gentle movement but I don't think that's helping to bring weight down. I eat low carb, low fat, 1475 cals a day. Argh I feel like I'm on a plateau that's got me stuck. I did real well in Feb but only 5.5 in March and April I'm up 1.
Anyway it's good to just put it out there so I don't eat over it. I'm committed to following my food plan and have for 18 months and down 88# total so lots of progress. I need to focus on how much better I feel and how much more energy I have instead of looking at this time as wasted, cause its not.
My sister had neck surgery today and I've not heard how it went so that's hard. She had a bone spur pinching her nerves causing loss of feeling in her arms - wasn't going to get better on its own and the spur would have grown to make her paralyzed so she bit the bullet. She'll be in metal frame for 1-3 mo so spine will heal properly. Has anyone had to go through something like this?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

Does anyone watch Biggest Loser? I don't know if I should be encouraged or discouraged. I see people who need to loss so much more than me, but know that some days, just getting out of bed is torture! Damn fibromyalgia!!!!! But these contestants face similar challenges! Am I just letting my mind cripple me? I do truly appreciate all of you support...I need it.

Jlwheart...contests on your A1C being normal!!!! 5.5 #'s would be a wonderful number!!!!

Everose, glad your husband will be with you thru this......Hmmmmm, maybe I can get mine in with me!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 PM

Ladies, those of you who have mailed them, it will be thursday before I get to the Post office. when i work it is hard to get to the post office, not convient hours.

I am feeling a little better but this is rainy season here in Texas, so each day is a challenge you never know what the day will bring. With every barometric change I feel. Breathing has been a huge challenge. I see the doc next week. There are times it feels like the ribs are curling under where they were seperated to remove the lung.

I have been a real bad hostess...............I owe jlwheart a huge apology. I still have not mail her winnings for Feburary. I promise I will send them overnight on thursday, when I am off work. I am also including something extra. PLEASE FORGIVE ME. I will also be mailing blondeslave's winnings at that time. They are packed and ready to mail.

Keep up the good work on your weight loss and challenges. Remember to drink your water, eat your fruits and veggies and get your protein in.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:26 PM

lwatts, you can still join in the posting. All you missed was the FQ challenge. It sounds like you have been doing well.

Cindy, I don't think Jean will mind if you don't overnight them. It's gotten so expensive and isn't that much faster. If you mail them Thursday, they should arrive Saturday. I'm not Jean, but I forgive you. Thank you for being honest with us.

I typed a 'book' last night and it didn't go through. I hope it doesn't happen tonight.

Allikat, fibromyalgia is a sneaky, insidious disease that need to be kicked to the curb. Have you seen the website, "But you don't look sick." I was diagnosed in 1983. I don't think I ever missed a day of work, but I wasn't worth much after work sometimes. I refused meds for my autoimmune diseases until last year when I developed nerve damage in my back and one foot. Then I started on a very small dose of Lyrica and can't increase it if I want to remain upright, but it is helping. The last few weeks have been rough. Lupus is seasonal and worse in the Spring. I take a variety of vitamins and supplements. The most helpful has to be the magnesium malate. 6 a day when under attack and 1 or 2 for maintenance. Calcium/ magnesium, too. A chiropractor who is also a kinesiologist has been a big help - I'm on my second one. Regular chiropractic not so much. Very warm baths with Epsom Salt - more magnesium. And moving - I am a firm believer in 'move it or lose it.' I get too stiff if I hold still too long. Walking and stretching loosen things up. Stretching should only be done after the muscles are warmed up.

Maggie, you beat me. My FQ is on my cutting table. Sounds like you had a very nice Easter.

Jean, maybe you need to fool your metabolism. Have a feast day at least once a week. If the concept bothers you, you can make up the calories by having a light day in between. Your body is adjusting your metabolism to the 1475 calories so it's time to shake it up. Our weight flucuates anyhow - the joys of being born female. I tore pectoral muscles decorating for Christmas when I moved a 29 pound sewing machine. Not an area you can walk around massaging. I can still feel it when I move just right. Low carb is good, but don't forget our bodies need fat - about 30% is what I aim for.

Di, I will pray for your trip and that mother has a calm trip. When your life has been turned upside down by illness as hers has, it's hard to go out of your comfort zone.

Pam, I like your Tuesday reminder this week. I will look for a new fruit - do chia seeds count? They are supposed to be very healthy. I have very thick hair as it is. If I start sprouting green chia pet hair, then I won't have any more seeds. I only like red and green at Christmas - oh, on my red roses, too.

I have a busy day tomorrow so I had better get to bed.

I am losing weight and becoming healthier.

Want is growing giant whom the coat of have is never large enough to cover. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
I want to lose weight while I eat what I want when I want it. The truth is we don't need everything we want. Something to think about.

Last edited by irishrose; 04-11-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:10 AM

my weight is down 5 lbs so far this month. how come? haven't a clue. i am doing everything wrong. dr said my blood sugar was up, no surprise as all i'm interested in eating is sweets. last night dh made salmon filets with garlic mustard sauce. extremely good! i could eat salmon on a nearly daily basis if i could always get the wild. not much flavor to the farm raised. it is my one healthy indulgence! i'm ahead on the new fruit challenge. tried meier lemons. YUMMY! made lemonade with the juice of 1, a tbsp of agave nectar and water and ice. repeat the YUMMY! right now i am resisting new stuff. i want to maintain the status quo. again, why? and i still don't know. i feel like i have been in a tailspin for years instead of just months. i tell myself i can pull out of it, but i don't. perhaps, i can't. don't like that thought! on the plus side, physically i have been feeling better. i'm tempted to let the dogs take me for a walk. we all know it's not the other way around! LOL. i have actually been getting some quilting stuff done. i've made mug rugs for the swap, and a dq for that swap. stretched myself and met the 2 color challenge. used 13 colors to make a bargello mini-quilt. i am also making blocks for a lqs bom and the craftsy free bom. the lqs bom is in northcott stonehenge so when they went on sale i picked up a bunch. my colors will be much more lively than the store quilt. i'm doing the craftsy in the stonehenge so i can add them to the lqs. should end up with a quilt and shams. i'm doing a mystery quilt with some others on line, it's the mccall's 3 parter. i'm way behind but hope to catch up today. my work is looking kind of sloppy. i think it's due to the hand tremors, altho' i am taking my time to get it right, and it still isn't. one block has an 8" square orgiinally designed for an applique. instead i did a small convergence. my colors are too similar so i'm not wowed by it! sure wanted to be! once i start dyeing my fabrics i think i will get closer to what i want--naturally i'd like to have them look as dramatic and exciting as ricky tims's. i have so many irons in the fire i'm feeling quite pressured. i try tp remind myself this is for fun! lol. easy to forget! one down side to buying so much fabric, i now feel i HAVE to get it done NOW. i sure do like having it! there are different textures and weights and of course, colors! i like all sensual stuff--comes from being a taurus. we are the earth mothers and tend to be abundant in our figures as we hate to deny ourselves anything. and that's me to a t.

sassy- i hope you are doing better! hearts are scary since you only have one and it's necessary, not extra like tonsils. do as the drs say! safe exercise! i'm sure they'll give you hand outs of what you can do!

allikat-- i'm with you on the fibromyalgia! i think mine started 45 yrs ago after i was thrown by a horse. they (whoever they are) think the origin may be related to a physical trauma. i've had many, as have pretty much everyone, and i've had the aches and pains associated with it forever. i drink a goodly amount of soymilk and i think that helps'. i think soy has just a ton of benefits. i force myself out of bed on bad days, and if it weren't for lyrica, everyday would be a bad day. hang in there! 30 yrs is just too darn long to have an ailment, don't you agree? wish they'd find a cure!

everose-- congrats on being so close to your goal! you've done well! what are you wearing to the graduation? something figure hugging, i hope! you've lost it, now flaunt it! i bought a red cocktail dress at fashionbug for $4.98. now need to have a place to wear it! no joyous occasions on the horizon as far as i can see. well, except my dh's b'day, our anniversary and my b'day, all within 4 days of each other. we never go out fancy for it. anyway, i hope you are really dressing to advantage! you've earned it!

irish-- i am going to try the melantonin. i sleep 4 hrs, then doze fitfully for the next 4, right on the verge of awake and asleep. i also take calcium. more important to bone health than calcium according to my sister. you, too, always have so many good ideas!

cindy-- i can't get over how good you look. you're like a different person! congrats on your success!! i sent 2 f4's. one for april, one for may. i don't expect to win them back, but i would like to! especially the brights! i'm still looking for that pattern. i've tucked the mag into a container with the fab for a different quilt. just need to discover which box/mag it's in! too much organization and too much stuff. (did I say that? horrors!!)

i am up because i have an eye appointment. believe she will test for glaucoma again, and fuss with the chronic dry eye. i look down at the fabric i'm cutting and i look thru water. with allergies and closed ducts, i feel like a fish, under water. i can even do a fish face! lol. hmmm... maybe that's why i'm having issues with accuracy!
anyhow, i hope everyone has a good day and your goals will be met! my goal is to stay awake long enough to actually make my appointment!

have we heard from purplemem? jholme? xylie55? missy? so good to see new faces, and would love to see the oldtimers too!