Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting...can it be overdone? >

Quilting...can it be overdone?

Quilting...can it be overdone?

Old 04-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

I have seen some quilts that I couldn't tell what the pattern was because of all the quilting. But since it's a personal preference I don't say anything negative.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:12 PM

For me personally, yes. But I don't like to notice the quilting. I want to see the piecing and if I see the quilting first it is overdone for MY TASTE. But like everyone has said, it is theirs and they can do what they want.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ShabbyTabby View Post
I personally don't care for dense quilting as it does make the quilt stiff. If it's just for show it's okay but to use to cuddle in, I want it soft and easy to drape. I very much admire the beautiful quilting some of the LA's do and I know I would never be able to accomplish anything close to it. It's to each his own. It's your quilt so make it to suit YOU.
I agree. While dense quilting can look nice, sometimes I think it makes the quilt too stiff.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:49 PM

It depends on the usage. Compare a whole cloth quilt designed to be a "bedspread" with a baby quilt to wrap around a newborn. Apples and oranges. Or a wall hanging where the thread painting is the quilting - to a charity quilt for the homeless - still apples and oranges. I don't think you can compare quilts other than to say they appeal to you or they don't.

Last edited by TanyaL; 04-19-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

I read a machine quilting book once that catagorized quilts. There are the ones that you quilt lightly for "dragger" quilts that are drug around everywhere. Then there is a moderately quilted quilt for gifts and special type quilts. And then there is the quilts meant for shows that are quilted to the "OMG!!" state.

I love the quilting I have seen here that has taken quilting to an art and I ever so wish I could do that. LOL!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 PM

I agree with it that it's a choice. If you want it softer, less quilting. But I LOVE all the quilting patterns I've seen on the QB, & I can totally understand wanting to do alot of it on every quilt, too. Variety is wonderful!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Power Poster

I am sure there are lots of people who think my quilts are overquilted. I don't really worry about it, because I want to practice and cannot afford to make more items just to practice on.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:35 AM

I have a book that shows the same quilt with different designs of quilting..... It is amazing that the quilting makes such a difference. Some quilters have a gift of knowing exactly the amount and design to use for a given quilt. That book has opened my eyes.... I really think hard about how I'm going to quilt my projects now...... the quilting can make an average quilt a stunning one.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:47 AM

My personal preference is for minimal quilting because I want it soft and snuggly. Also I am not yet to a skill level to do fancy stuff. Once I reach that skill level, I'm sure I will want to showcase that skill. In which case I will likely still want soft and snuggly for any quilt intended for regular use. Wall hangings, tablerunners and the like will probably be another story.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:56 AM

I believe quilting can be overdone. I have seen quilts at shows that are as stiff as cardboard. The skill of the quilter, however, was exceptional and I was amazed at the quilting, but the piecing was lost. It is a matter of preference and how you are going to use the quilt matters too.