Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Osteoarthritis of the knee.  Best treatments/ideas you know of? >

Osteoarthritis of the knee. Best treatments/ideas you know of?

Osteoarthritis of the knee. Best treatments/ideas you know of?

Old 04-20-2012, 02:44 PM

Tylenol is bad for the liver. Ask me how I know. One Aleve Liquid Cap per day keeps me walking. I had knee replacement, but it still hurts. Nobody seems to care why so I'm stuck with it.
Aleve works for me, but just one at a time. Any more and the tummy hurts.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
My right knee went out January 7th, 2005. I went to bed the night of the 6th & was fine. I woke up the morning of the 7th & could hardly move. I have tried everything... pain meds of all sorts (from ibuprofen to Oxycontin). Physical therapy. A variety of braces (from cheapies from the pharmacy to a custom $1500 one -- that my insurance wouldn't cover). Heat. Ice. Elevating the leg. Staying off it, Powering thru the pain. Cortisone shots. Some other kind of shot (you take a series of 3 over 3 weeks -- it worked for 2 weeks & cost over $1,000). I can't have replacement surgery & I wouldn't even if I could. I can't have it because there isn't enough viable bone to attach the new joint to. I wouldn't because of all the horror stories I hear about the replacements. Most of my family is in the medical field. They have shown me all sorts of studies that I don't like the looks of. My DD is a lawyer. While she doesn't practice medical malpractice law, she has friend who are personal injury lawyers & they tell her other horror stories. Nope... my knee might hurt so bad that my life has virtually come to a screeching halt (I can't sleep longer than about 2 hours at a time -- I can walk around the house but not for any kind of distance like the mall), but at least I don't have blood poisoning or something awful like that on top of the pain. I do use a cane & that helps. The only thing that really has helped is acupuncture -- except that my practioner moved in January & now I'm without one. I can truly say that my knee has changed my life almost 100%. But I live in hope that medical advances for us boomers will someday find a solution to it. I have medical team at Mayo here that I trust & a supportive family so I can't complain (tho it sounds like I am... sorry).

How far would the rest of you be willing to go to have your knee "fixed"? Fusion? Nerve blocks? Clinical trials? Stem cells?

Burchquilts, I have had two replacements. The right leg is a total, and the left leg is a partial. I've done it all, the cortisone, braces, supartz shots, heat, ice, physical therapy, same as you. It's a progression that you try something and if it doesn't work, you go to the next until the next step is replacement. I have no regrets at all getting mine replaced. I have four grandchildren and can get down on the floor to play with them. The four year old is more difficult because I can't run. I think the success of a knee replacement is dependent upon two things, the skill of the doctor, and the willingness to do the rehab. My oldest sister had a knee replacement and did not do her rehab. Five years later she still limps.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:43 PM

I too have osteoarthritis mostly in my right knee. I also have a torn meniscus. I have a wonderful doctor who actually isn't a surgeon. He is willing to try all kinds of things short of surgery. He works with several excellent surgeons. I had a cortisome shot that worked for a little while. I had a series of Synovist (not sure of spelling) shots in December that have worked very well. He also recommended trying Glucosomine. Not sure if the glucosomine is working. The shots have been great so far. I do 30 to 40 minutes on an elliptical 5 times a week. I also have walked several 5K since my diagnosis. I was doing and exercise class too but that ended. He said one of the most important things to do is to move it or lose it. Try to keep it moving. I know when I skip exercise and get lazy it gets stiffer. He also told my to watch high impact things. He said running wasn't the best idea but if I really wanted to maybe I could work up to it.(don't really want to) I go back in May for a checkup. So far it seems to be going pretty good. THe torn meniscus bothers me from time to time but otherwise it is doing pretty well. I walked a 5K last weekend and it was a little stiff afterwards but not bad. Good luck finding what works for you.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum View Post
I will start with a PT shortly--will set the appt tomorrow. PA said 600 mg of Ibuprofen three times a day. Do you take Advil daily?

I got a cortisone shot today.

This is just the beginning--it doesn't really hurt--just swelling. Well--more irritating. I was running... and I can again... eventually. Maybe.

Thanks for the replies!
Running the worst thing you can do to an arthritic knee...you will suffer dearly for it....sorry for the bad news...less stress the better.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:53 PM

I just had a cortizone shot yesterday and it is not helping much this time...last time I had immediate relief but only for 3 weeks...I am scheduling my surgery soon. Have had one done 5 years ago and nursed this one as long as I can...I can not hardly go to the store any more.

I take 600 prescription ibuprophen 2 times at most 3 times a day...that helps the most. I have had several injections of different things...one was very expensive chicken shot called Synvisc...helps some - didn't help me. I have recently been fitted with an upload knee brace...ug...not much fun, but it does help a little. Physical therapy can help.

I got heartburn from the ibuprophen and then was taken off for about 6-7 month...could not get around very well, gained weight, but worst than that...got very flabby and now I am miserable...staying fit, thin, and keeping your core strengthened will help a lot....learning the hard way...
Old 04-20-2012, 06:08 PM

I have the same in my right knee. Therapy is the best. Also, try ice and resting of the knee. the trick is to keep moving even though you have pain, this helps to bring down the swelling. Keep away from the salt. Good luck. Forgot, think about a cortisone shot and if your knee is very swollen, they can take out the fluid, makes it feel better.
Good luck.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:12 PM

I was told by the dr to take Tylenol and that it doesn't do liver damage as much as NASIDS. One does need that for occasional pain relief. You're safer taking Tylenol than anything else.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:27 PM

I have OA in every joint in my body including my spine. I take Mobic and I love it. I'm not totally pain free but I'm darn close. It allows me to do a lot of the things I never thought I would be doing again. Love this stuff!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 06:29 PM

I have to disagree with your advice; Tylenol eats the liver and is very toxic! Too much Tylenol causes the liver to shut down and death may ensue. Please research both in a medical pharmacology dictionary. Tks. G
Old 04-20-2012, 06:44 PM

Synvisc is very good. I was in a car accident five years ago, which brought on the arthritis. To postpone surgery, I hae had cortisone shots in the knees.....not fun. and recently have had the Synvisc. The first shot I was in unbelievable pain when the needle was inserted.....it kept hurting, I raised my voice....They had numbed the area to begin with and used cold to further numb the area....the doctor couldn't believe my reaction. Well he went to the other knee, boy was I concerned about this pain and there was NON. The doctor said, Oh, I'm so sorry, I put the needle through the nerve on the other knee... Duh! He also said, I know that had to hurt like hell, you can hit me if you like. I told him, no. I just want to give him the same shot in his nerve....I could not walk on that leg, they had to wheel me out to the car....the next day I was fine and the Synvisc works after three days and lasts for about four months. This medication is injected from the side of the knee, under the kneecap to the center of the joint. I would say, even though my doctor is the best in Fort Worth, you still need one that gives these types of injections routinely.....Best wishes. BTW, I told him IF there was a next time, I was bringing a tazer, if he comes close to the nerve, he would know.
Diana in TX