Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Osteoarthritis of the knee.  Best treatments/ideas you know of? >

Osteoarthritis of the knee. Best treatments/ideas you know of?

Osteoarthritis of the knee. Best treatments/ideas you know of?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:41 PM

I had a knee replacement Nov 23rd 2011 on my left knee due to astroarititis. It will be 5 months April the 23rd. My knee feels better now than it did before surgery. I still have pain some and stiffness in the knee. I excerise almost every single night and do 40 times 4 different excerises. I now need another one on right knee. When I roll over in my bed I can feel the bones move in my right knee. The surgery knee hurts a little at times when I turn over I slowly turn over. Knee replacement is rough at first but it is worth it in the long haul. I put a soft pull on bandage on my leg that I got from the dollar store and then I use a wide bandage for Wal-mart over top of the soft one and when I set down I do take it off so I don't get blood clots. The wide bandage is $4 something and is beidge with little stripes that indents in fabric. How long ago was your surgery? My therapist told me it could take 8 to 9 months to total heal. I have heard stories that was still hurting after a year. I guess it is the individual person that has differnt pain.

did before surgery
Old 04-26-2012, 04:19 PM

Update: I have been to half my appts with the athletic trainer and I am pain free and my knees now look alike again! The definition is back! I feel strong and confident. :-) It's time consuming to do the exercises twice a day, but being in top shape is so motivating for me. I'm happy! I won't run anymore, so will walk and kayak in the summer and plan on buying a recumbant exercise bike for winter and rainy days. I used on at the rehab place and it gets my heart pumping.

Thanks for all the replies! Good luck to all of you!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:47 AM

Take extra care if your kayak is one that requires kneeling when you are using it. Lots of cushioning for those knees!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
Take extra care if your kayak is one that requires kneeling when you are using it. Lots of cushioning for those knees!!!

Thanks, Linda. It doesn't! I sit! Thank goodness. No way would I be kneeling. The knee was sore and swollen again yesterday. No idea why. I walked 2 miles. I cut back on some of the exercises last night. Today I've walked at least 2 miles and have done a ton of barn work... but it's better. Sigh. I guess it's just going to be inconsistent. I read the weather can determine how it feels.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:48 AM

The weather definitely has an impact. Don't you just hate that? lol. Mine is totally unpredictable, and frustrating. So we just keep doing the exercising and what we can do besides that. Our spirits are with you!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:29 PM

I have had shots in my knees and they've helped in the past. Currently for my degenative back disease and my knees and all other pains my first two go to's are; oregano oil and Arnica Gel. They both help alot. If you search even here on this board there was a big discussion on the oregano oil which has olive oil in it. I tried it and it has been the only thing to get rid of the muscle strain that I get in the lower part of my back on each side. It used to take months for it to go away and then in Dec when I had a siezure I strained it again and rubbed both of these things on it and it wasn't until the end of the week while talking to my sister that it all of a sudden dawned on me; my pain had been gone for days but I'd forgotten about it. I put it on my neck which my chiropractor says is worse than my back and both of the things help. Sports doctors use the Arnica for sports injuries. You can get both at most health food stores. The oregano oil has a 100% guarantee on the bottle. I won't return mine; I keep it in my purse.

Let me add; strengthing the muscles also helps. I have to do stretches several times a day while at work and when I'm sewing I'm always multi tasking so that I can change postitions and it keeps my back from acting up so badly. I have a fatty liver so I try never to take pain meds if I can find a solution around it.

Last edited by romanojg; 04-29-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:56 PM

Eventually, I will be getting the knee replaced.. I'm less than excited.. I've dislocated, tore it, skiied on it, and broke it.. I'm not even 58 yet.. I do as much as I can, and don't take ANSAIDS .. do to kidney disease.. I'm gtting my bike tuned to see if it will help.. I like the idea of taking Glucosamine, and calcium etc that was advised by Prism99
Old 04-29-2012, 03:33 PM

I'm taking glucosamine and Zyflamend and still meeting with an athletic trainer twice a week. They've given me 12 stretches/exercises already. Don't know how many more I can fit in with work and chores. lol Oregano oil, huh? I'm will to try anything. There's oregano in the Zyflamend. Arnical gel? I'll look those up. Thanks.

I'm still taking Ibuprofen three times a day until Wed--PA's orders. I'm not sure I've ever noticed their impact, but I know more once I stop taking them. The Zyflamend is an anti-inflammatory, so maybe that will replace it.

Linda--what weather is the worst?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by ChaiQuilter View Post
Don't take Advil or similar products every day for a long period of time. Ask your doctor. Besides the one most people know about - internal bleeding - it has many other side effects, one of which is a ringing in the ears.
Please don't take those meds. I know of a fellow at church that did and had to go to the hospital for a few days and he was lucky. Ask a doctor. Please
Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum View Post
Just wanted to hear from those who have had this diagnosis.
What's worked well?
Your story?
After knee surgery for a torn miniscus, I was bone-on-bone. My ortheopedic doctor gave me an Synvisc injection approx. 5 or 6 weeks ago. It is made from cock's comb, and works as a cushion. You can have one every six months. I am noticing a difference for the better, but I think it takes longer than the 4 weeks that they say. If I have another one, I will. The injection is a three-in-one injection and it sure hurts. You have to stay off of your feet as much as possible for a couple days, then start working walking into my schedule. There are some great articles on the net - just look up synvisc injection. Hope this helps. Would like to know what you do.

Ellie (sewellie)