Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many of you quilt your own quilts? >
  • How many of you quilt your own quilts?

• How many of you quilt your own quilts?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:22 AM

I machine piece but always hand quilt. I find that hand quilting is so relaxing and I enjoy doing it. I do some FMQ on such things as table cloths etc. , but feel a real sense of accomplishment after I have finished Hand quilting a quilt.
    Old 04-21-2012, 10:03 AM

I've done a few straight line quilting and even did a fmq once or twice on a small one. Being visually impaired I get frustrated with the tucks and have a hard time ripping out all those stitches. La was soo expensive but luckily I found a lady who charges by the hr she's fast!!! so I got lucky! She's very busy but I try not to be impatient!!
    Old 04-21-2012, 10:08 AM
    Power Poster

So far I've done my own. I am trying to progress past SID so that is my current life challenge and I am up for it.
    Old 04-21-2012, 10:21 AM

I can't afford to pay for my quilts to be quilted by anyone else. I do my own. I feel also that the quilt becomes less of yours for having someone else's work all over it. Just my humble opinion. For me, quilting is a hobby so there is no reason for hurrying to finish things to quickly make another one. However, those of you who sell quilts you make for orders or a business then obviously there is justification for it in my view. We are all different and hold different views, these are mine.
    Old 04-21-2012, 10:23 AM

I quilt my own. I have 2 tables that go in front and beside my sewing cabinet and I wrestle the elephant on those. It's work, but they look nice and the recipients love them.
    Old 04-21-2012, 10:46 AM

I first tacked and tyed but was very unhappy with it. Then I have hand quilted practically everything til acouple years ago when I tried straight line machine quilting. i like this for quilts that get a lot of rough and tumble wear like grandkids. I would love to learn to do the fancy FMQ i see on here, but I am not that brave yet!
    Old 04-21-2012, 10:59 AM

I always quilt my quilts, up until recently I have always done hand quilting on everything including charity quilts, now I am beginning to see the advantage of machine quilting, mainly because it is so much faster, my machine quilting skills are about non existent but I forging ahead hoping that by some miracle I will become faboulous over night!
    Old 04-21-2012, 11:34 AM

I quilt my own. Haven't made very many big ones, but feel I can't really say I made it unless I did it all myself. Improving with practice.....which will never make perfect, but that's OK. I really enjoy the quilting and binding part.
    Old 04-21-2012, 11:42 AM

I do my own, am taking a craftsy class and am getting more and more relaxed. May not be super fancy, but I like the look and most of my quilts are donated
    Old 04-21-2012, 01:04 PM

I have quilted a couple of small quilts on my machine, tied several larger quilts but in about 2 weeks I am going to use a LA to quilt. It will be my first time. Wish me luck