Itchy Bug Bites

Old 04-21-2012, 09:46 AM

Vanilla works but not imitation has to be real vanilla extract. My daughter used the off clip on. Says it's ok if sitting but if windy or moving it doesn't. They also have bug bracelets.
You poor thing I can see you outside jn long sleeves and pants smelling like garlic and all kinds of bug repellents gadjets attached to you!!
Hope something works!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:17 AM
elm

I use a homeopathic remedy Apis and find it works with any kind of insect bite.

Originally Posted by Rubesgirl View Post
Does anyone know a fool-proof way to keep bugs from biting when you're outside? I've tried Off, Cutter's, Skin-So-Soft, dryer sheets, fans and nearly everything else anyone has suggested over many years, to absolutely no avail. I am very allergic to all kinds of bug bites and, of course, the little creatures love me. I am already covered in welts and itch all day long from no-see-em bites I got while I was cutting the grass the other day. The doctor can give me pills for the reaction, but then I can't function. I am hoping someone on this wonderful board will know how to stop/prevent these critters from menacing me this summer, or at least how to stop the itching without having to take drugs.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:23 PM

Have you tried Listerine?
Dodee
Old 04-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

I also have used the afterbite stick for years on itchy bites. I also use windex when I am out of it... LOL! The ingredient that is in the stick is ammonia! I guess the "Big Fat Greek Wedding" dad was right! (He used it on everything and called it a miracle cure all, remember?)

As for a natural spray for the bugs not biting you? I don't know any. I have heard from hikers that if you eat banannas the bugs don't bite you. The potassium is offensive to them.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:37 PM

I'm going to try this, I love the smell of icy hot, vicks vapor rub, ben gay. glad I'm not the only one.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:27 PM

Vinegar really helps with the itching. I little on a cotton ball, works wonders. The odor goes away as soon as it evaporates. Much less money than any of the over the counter itch relievers.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:43 PM

I have heard Avon Skin so soft keeps the bugs, especially the mosquitos. I take vitamin B for a deficiency and find that the bugs don't bite me.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:13 PM

I have used the clip ons and it work really good. I was at my DGS ball game where there were a lot of Mosquitos and they didn't bother me.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:33 PM

We have been using Listerine for years. We keep a spray bottle on the patio and everyone uses it. It has a nice light smell and does not offend those not using it. Many of the guy folk use it as well. It works!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:45 PM

I was told Listerine will repel insects - I only got to try it once and it seemed to work. I put it on a paper towel and wiped around my face every so often.