Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art Quilters? >

Art Quilters?

Art Quilters?

Old 04-20-2012, 04:53 AM

Hey all you lurkers...I just know there are some experimenters out there with works on the corner of the table that you are not sure about or sort of dissatisfied with. Put 'em on up and get some feed back for possible ways to improve that UFO you put aside.

BTW I can't wait to give you all next month's challenge but since there are still 10 days in April you have plenty of time to get your creativity happening on this month's 'homework'.

So how about today you throw some fabrics on the design wall and play a bit? Loosening up and not worrying about what you are making might help free up some of your hidden artistic side. Any Black, white and color will do and any slap dash technique will suffice........C'mon out and play...............
Old 04-20-2012, 01:59 PM

Okay, this is my unfinished black, white and color, need to stitch the purple down, sandwich etc. But I must work on daughters' Mother's Day lap quilt first. I'm having a hard time downloading the photo. Will try again. Here I go????? Sorry, but this is the only way I was able to download the photo.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BWC.pdf (198.5 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by sistahdebbra; 04-20-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:28 PM

Hi sistadebbra ----I love purple and I think you block is good. It let me download the pdf. Yay....

Had I made it I think I would have put the bigger circles diagonal from each other and and in the 'cradles' of the purple. Did you think of that and not like it?

I'll bet 4 of those would make a lovely wall hanging for the bathroom. I like entertainment in the smaller rooms of the house.
You go girl! Good luck on that Q you are finishing for your daughter
Old 04-21-2012, 06:49 PM

Location: Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room

These are a few of the wall hangings I've made. The Halloween was for my son. The farm quilt was for my grand-daughter and the last was for my dentist to hang on his wall at Christmas time. I had such fun making them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ban07-00.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	329636   Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	882.6 KB
ID:	329640   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	934.3 KB
ID:	329641   Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	329643  
Old 04-22-2012, 04:05 AM

Fab-ra-holic... I love what you did with your various borders. That Halloween step effect is one I hadn't really considered b4..Going to have to try that in Q shortly. Is the dental border a 'frayed edged' on polar fleece perhaps? Hard to tell from here.. It looks that like me you are best friends with a large roll of Wonder Under. I just had a large roll sent down here to Chile so I could stop worrying about every 1/16" I used.

Lots of creativity in these. Are you thinking of doing any of the challenges? Looks like you'd be darned good at them
Old 04-22-2012, 03:22 PM

sistahdebbra, love your simplist use of color and prints. I am assuming you used color with pens or thread for the little lavendar dots, right?

Fab-ra-holic, your binding/borders are all so unique. Your farm quilt is so cute!
Old 04-22-2012, 06:02 PM

@Susiehammond, thanks for comments. And no, I didn't think to do the diagonal with the big circles, my thinking was white to white & black to black but I must admit, I can see it and I love your idea. I have more of the fabrics and will do just that. This is one of the many reasons I like this board.

@SewExtremeSeams, No, didn't use pens or thread - actually cut dots from the fused fabric.

Last edited by sistahdebbra; 04-22-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:16 PM

I agree with Suzie on the dispersement of the black and white prints. Visually the blacks and whites are balanced diagonally but the scale of printed dots is visually top heavy. Another words my eye is drawn to the top half of the block. Here's a little trick... squint your eyes to let in very little light and then look at your block. Ask yourself what stands out? Is your focus stuck in one place or are your eyes traveling to take in the whole? If you want to stay with the dot theme using only those four prints, my suggestion would be to combine the two whites in a strip pieced or other simple block, do the same with the two black prints, then lay out the darks and lights diagonally as you have done in your original. This would even out the overall look by spreading out the values and prints. The contrast is strong and appealing in your block and I love how you dispersed the purple onto the other blocks. I would have enlarged or increased those dots in the bottom two prints.

The beauty of working with black and white is that it helps train your eye to see value, contrast, texture, pattern, line etc. without the additional color distractions. Thank you sistahdebbra for sharing your piece and allowing us to hopefully critique in a constructive manner. Keep playing and have fun with it.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:23 PM

Fab-ra-holic you definitely have a creative and imaginative mind. Your pictorial quilts are filled with humorous content. I agree that your borders are an added point of interest. I can see a lot of love, time and thought went into your creations. I'm with Suzie ~ I hope you join us on our challenges! Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by ssnare View Post
I did not know what art quilts were. I went to an art quilts show and took some pictures. I would be willing to post them if anyone is interested. I have done oil paintings of landscapes and waterfalls and want to do something in a landscape quilt, but, I do not know how to do this.
Look for a book called - Landscapes & Illusions Creating Scenic Imagery with Fabric by Joen Wolfrom