Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:43 AM

Oh good! I just had the taboo for breakfast! I sauteed mushrooms, a little onion & spinach, added an egg & some feta cheese. I eat this quite a bit for breakfast.

Today is my get-sewing day. I have had a project hanging over my head that I didn't want to do- making a curtain panel for a friend. Nothing complicated, I just didn't want to do it & I wouldn't let myself start anything else until it was done. I have done other things for her & I don't like working with the fabric she chooses. She likes a lot of texture & nap. I was laying out this curtain yesterday & it kept shifting all over & driving my crazy. I have one more seam to sew & that monkey is off my back! She is one of my closest friends though & she does nice things for me too. I am just glad I am about done!

I got this weird email from Sears about online activity with my Sears credit card. I haven't used it in awhile so I called the phone # on my credit card (not the one in the email in case it was a scam). Before I even got through the menu there was a message saying if you are calling about an email from Sears that you received, it was sent in error, ignore it, & a correction email will be sent out soon. I guess it must have been sent out to a lot of people if they put a message on their customer service line. Did any of you get it?

I spent some time in my sewing room yesterday picking up & organizing. I am going to go finish that curtain & they play!
Old 04-24-2012, 01:16 PM

Irish I love your quilt. I just love brights. The quilt I made on retreat has a piano key border but when I did it late at night on retreat I decided it was too much thinking to miter the borders. I put a 2 color square in my corners. You did a good job on your miter, it matches up really well.
I too think you need to move it or lose it. I have been lazy lately about working out. My knee is bothering me again. It feels so much better when I exercise. I need to get back to exercise as I have an appointment with the orthopedist next week. I need to know if it hurts from lack of exercise or if the synovist shot has worn off. I guess I had better get off of my ass and move.
I am making a baby quilt for a friend. She is paying me. It is going together pretty quickly. It has some applique on it but that will be done by machine. I did a test applique block last night and it was pretty quick. I am doing the Carol Doak 50 paper pieced stars and am anxious to get back to it. I am 2 weeks behind. I also have a bargello I want to start. I have told myself I can't start it until I finish at least one UFO. THere are several that could be finished in about 2 evenings. They are starting to pile up.
My boss has been annoying me the last couple of days so I am taking Monday off. Not too many school days left. I hope I am in a different classroom next year. I am afraid to say anything since the schools are making so many cuts. She is so rude to me and picks on me. Driving me nuts. There are 2 other aides that come in the room for a couple of hours a day and they notice it too. (I really need some chocolate)
Old 04-24-2012, 04:15 PM

"blondeslave, that's good information, and I am a proponent of moving it or losing it, even if moving it hurts, but intense exercise isn't for everyone. We have to find our own level, but we do have to keep our blood circulating. Has anyone tried PBS's Sit and Be Fit? Less than 30 minutes and she hits a lot of body areas. There is an option of standing or sitting. Not as strenuous as the videos mentioned, but it helps and the committent to do something every day helps - 2:30 isn't a favorite time, but I can live with it. I did a 'boot camp' exercise on TV followed by aerobics when I was your age. I wish I could not, but what is, is. I commend you for your diligence while working, too. 3.4 pounds is wonderful. Your friend must have weighed less than 100 pounds to begin with if she lost more than 5% of her weight. Why is a 90 some pounder in a weight loss challenge?"

I had to laugh when I reread my post. I do kind of sound like an amazon. Anyway, this is the workout I've worked up to over several months. Last year in January my back went out on me and it took months of PT before I was feeling better. Then it took me awhile to get brave enough to try again so it had been over a year since I had exercised. Then I turned 60 in December and decided I'd better get going again. January I started going to the gym again and all I could do was a half hour on the exercise bike 3 times a week(I still remember the pain of getting used to the seat again). I added weights 2 1/2 months ago and had to start out light. It is very important that anyone who works out stays in touch with their body and works out at their own pace. We all have our own unique quirks and challenges. My main point was meant to be about planning and scheduling exercise and that if you add it to your fitness journal you are more likely to do it.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:19 PM

Judy I figure I won't make this week's spinach.... but if I go to a salad bar I do like baby spinch. I am a very picky eater.... Just like junk and more junk. No I do try to eat veggies at supper, dinner or whatever you call it.. once a day anyway. Especially chinese if that counts???? No sandwichs only the meat, no fish so I am limited in what I eat.
Pam
Old 04-24-2012, 07:33 PM

Pam, I'm glad you are doing the Taboo Tuesday items, though we may need a name change if we have additions, not subtractions. You need to look at what you can eat, nor what you can't. I can't have wheat or anything else with gluten, no yeast, no corn, no milk unless it's cooked, no foods with MSG and that list is very long, but there is still a lot of healthy food I can eat and some unhealthy as I have no problems with sugar. You have to start at the grocery store and bring the good stuff into the house, then eat it. A member who took this month off said, "If you want to meet a goal, then you have to have a plan. Failure to plan means planning to fail." The first step is to want to lose weight, you've done that one. Second is to plan your meals and buy only healthy food with a touch of the other for a treat. Third is to implement preparing those healthy meals (I'm not consistent here). Fourth is to post often. We are all in this together.

blondeslave, I want to congratulate you on your recovering from a back injury. You have worked hard. I see we are the same page with doing the exercise correct for your body, but do something. You point about scheduling is well taken. Thank you.

meanmom, the mitered corners weren't too bad. I did mine with Y seams. I know there's another way, but I couldn't remember it when I needed it. Do you remember the wildlife quilt for my son? I was putting corner blocks in the border so the flying geese wouldn't collide. When I saw the picture after it was finished and delivered, I saw I had only done two opposite corners. Two have geese all the way to the end. A new design?? I prefer that term to a mistake. School is nearly over. Do you garden? You can take your aggressions concerning that teacher on your weeds.

Today was a goofy day. I have been busy all day, but didn't do anything I can point to as my today's work. I have not heard from Albuquerque. I have to be away all day tomorrow, so I wanted to start cutting tonight. Miss M , where is my email or phone call? It angers me when I pay extra for Priority mail and they don't deliver. Grrr. I guess I'd better go pull some weeds.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
Judy
Old 04-25-2012, 07:25 AM

I have to say I just love coming here.
You women are such an inspiration. From Sewing to Health. I got up this morning to have a cup of coffee (with Coffee Mate) and 4oz. of Activia Blueberry 70 calories! Then mid-morning I had about 4oz which equals out to 1/4 cup of dried chopped fruit and nuts (Almonds and a few cashews). I made some cabbage soup the other day so thats going to be lunch. I did read above that a schedule helps so...looks like I have some paper work to do today. Some mornings I get up and have no clue as to what I'm going to do that day knowing I have mounds of things that need to be done, but it's just...where to start then later in the day I find...nothing has been done! It may sound corney but slowly I'm finding more motivation and inspiration here.

Thanks everyone for such a bright morning on here!
Old 04-25-2012, 02:51 PM

I am really down right now. I have only lost a pound in the last three weeks. UGH. I will just bump up my exercise and start tracking my food intake religiously. Any other ideas?

Missy
Old 04-25-2012, 04:59 PM

Missy - we all plateau at some point. If you haven't gained - wow - celebrate. I know it seems like hard. Take a break - a deep sigh. Tomorrow is another day. Watch the carbs that you are eating. I eat more in the morning so that I can burn them during the day. Try more water. Put some lemon in it. Am sure you will get some more advice from others. But the main thing is BE GOOD TO YOURSELF. We are our worst enemy. And if the scale doesn't go down like we want, I know I eat because I feel bad. Then it's worse.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:16 PM

Missy, how are your portions? That's one of my main problems.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:20 PM

water, walk, weight. more of two makes less of one. i hate plateaus! i swear i've been on one for 6 months. to myself i'll admit i haven't been watching what i eat so i'm fortunate i'm not talking about 20 more pounds than i started with. of course, you would never hear me say that aloud! i need to focus and i just haven't been able to. my sister is coming this week end as it is our tri-fecta. my dh's b'day, our anniversary and my b'day. since it all happens in the space of a few days it is an intense time. we always go out to eat at some fantastic restaurant.( several members of the food channel either live in the area or have major restaurants here. anyone who starves in philly does it because they want to. ( not talking about the people who can't afford food, fortunately there are all sorts of programs for adults and children who need help, and there but for the grace of g-d goes any one of us). there are wonderful restaurants everywhere, nearly as densely packed as nyc (ok, a little exaggeration). all kinds and ethnicity of food. i'd like to go to one of the iron chefs' restaurants, but i'd also be happy with good old western beans, ribs and brisket! anyhoo, not a very good time to be on a weight loss regime, so i will start again in may, and really get serious!
speaking of getting serious--i will be actively looking for olivia's quilt. i put it somewhere safe and can't remember where that is. this will be her love it to pieces quilt, and then i will make her a keep forever quilt. her mom is planning on my making enough quilts to cover her room walls and ceiling, and i think she mentioned floor. we will see how far that goes. it's not like i have an unlimited amount of receivers for my quilts. it's a small family. i hope it will be added to a bit! g'babies are sooo much fun! i play with o in the evenings on skype, and she is learning to kiss, and says uh oh. and wow (that's how she's learning to kiss--look at yourself saying it in the mirror). she loves itsy bitsy spider, the alphabet song and twinkle, twinkle. i need to get a cd of songs, i have forgotten so many! anybody remember raffi? he was/is so wonderful. i once knew all of his songs, not any more. grrr, getting old with a spotty memory sucks! altho' my dogs like it since i can't always remember if i've fed them, and gracious, i can't let them go to bed hungry! lol. if you saw them you would know they've missed precious few meals. fat dogs, fat owner. i'm giving them my lazy butt habits! well, i'm off to bed early tonight! hope you all have a wonderful morning after a peaceful night's rest. see ya later! n
irish-- how about tuesday's temptations? i love spinach,pretty much any form, even canned! can we have broccoli next week?

Last edited by nancia; 04-25-2012 at 10:22 PM.