Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for advice... bargain fabrics versus more costly "treasures" >

Looking for advice... bargain fabrics versus more costly "treasures"

Looking for advice... bargain fabrics versus more costly "treasures"

Old 09-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Power Poster

I have never bought a complete line of fabric . In fact the LQS that I go to has the "older" fabric set up by colors and the "newer" by the lines. I can spend hours in the store walking around and looking for matching fabrics and mixing and matching. I would rather pay less and can usually always find matching fabrics :lol:
Old 09-09-2009, 09:23 PM

I love to bargain hunt!!!! Am on a limited budget and try to cut corners but still get good quality cotton. I think half the fun of buying fabric is mixing and blending colors and patterns together. I do this and then decide on a pattern. I also tend to steer clear of the fabrics that are all matched in a section cause I want my quilt to be unique and not same as others.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gramqlts
I love to bargain hunt!!!! I think half the fun of buying fabric is mixing and blending colors and patterns together. I do this and then decide on a pattern. I also tend to steer clear of the fabrics that are all matched in a section cause I want my quilt to be unique and not same as others.
DITTO! couldn't of said it better myself so I will just hijack most of your comment :lol:
Old 09-10-2009, 06:20 AM

I would say buy some of both, then see what sells the most. I don't buy full lines of fabric, but like to choose from several for a quilt.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:44 AM

I have a must have problem about some fabric, the ones that call out to me. If I find one of those I will buy no matter the cost. But most of the time I try to find good quality fabric at a sale price. BUT I willl never buy fabric for a quilt at Joann's. The quality is just not there.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:27 AM

To me the most fun in quilt making is selecting the fabric! I f I go with a line, then I feel that the designer/manufacturer is really just choosing my fabric for me. I prefer to scour several stores to achieve a look that is unique to me. So I would go for the discounted older fabrics. But I do see a need for both.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisanne
I'm another one who doesn't by buy fabric line. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen fabrics in the same line displayed together.

I absolutely do not care if it's the latest thing or not. Quilts aren't like clothes. It's not like you'll stop using the quilt the way you'd stop wearing an outfit that's not this year's style. In fact, when I started quilting a few months ago, I was quite dismayed to find that my favorite tiny flower prints (the ones that have been in fabric shops for decades, since I was born!) and larger tapestry look florals are no longer available. it's all about batiks now, I was told. Well, I love the batiks, but I want my classic florals, too. If I ever find a place that still carries them...

Sure, the remainders have been picked over, but you as a shop owner can pick over what's left. It's a great idea to carry them, but choose ones you think people would like.

Fine that you're asking us, but tastes and shopping preferences differ in different parts of the country. Why not poll your customers? Or just experiment by buying some and seeing what the response is. Maybe instead of billing them as picked-over seconds, bill them as the customers' last chance at those designs.
I like the idea of "customer's last chance" - there have been times when I didn't get enough of a certain fabric when it first came out - or I didn't like it then - or NOW it would go with something I'm doing now - I like the idea of being able to find "older" good fabric - especially if it's at a lower price than the brand new lines.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

I haven't been shopping at the LQS very much the last few years - too little money, too much to use at home - but when I was - it seemed like good browns and grays were hard to find.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:55 AM

When I had a store, I noticed that every one bought per their choice. Rarely did I see them by a collection.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:29 AM

I don't think I've ever purposely bought fabrics from the same line for a quilt. I usually find a focus fabric (as others have stated) and go from there. When shopping online, I look through the clearance or sale fabrics first. If I see something I like that is "regular" priced, I usually bargain hunt to see if I can find it elsewhere online for less money. I rarely go to the LQS (about 40-45 minutes away) because her prices are way too high, even when there is a sale, it's usually fabric I don't like. And, I have to agree with dunster about the neutrals and lights selling out first.