Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Light Advice for Basement? >

Light Advice for Basement?

Light Advice for Basement?

Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
A very cost effective method is using the fluorescent 'shop lights'. You can get the color correction bulbs (tubes) for them now, and they should work very well for you.
just some extra info. I have them in my old sewing room. We hired an electrician to look at the new room, bc we had some other issues around the house.
He said that flourescent lighting cost more bc it takes more wattage to keep turning it off and on, and I read the other day online that flourescent lighting put's out rays similar to the sun and can, over time, affect fabrics.
Good thing I had all mine on shelves with covers over them!
I'm not using flourescent in my new room...jmho
Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 AM

I really don't like overhead florescent lighting. Even with the daylight bulbs the color is weird plus they buzz. My sewing room is in the basement and I just have one teeny window. I use task lighting. I have an Ott light over my cutting table and one behind my sewing machine. I even have a clip on light on my fabric shelves. For general room lighting I have a floor lamp.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

I used to buy lots of lamps that I could put high or hang up, then a doctor let me know that what I really needed was "task lighting".
Ott lights are described this way.
He was right. I was putting so much light in my face, and what I needed was light on my project!
I do much better now.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:36 PM

I also like shop type flouresccent lights. I installed a double flourescent light fixture over my sewing machine. It has 2-4 foot bulbs in it. I'm even in front of a big double window, but at night I have a real problem especially with dark colors. I only had a ceiling fan with lights in the middle of the room. Wasn't very good...
Old 04-29-2012, 01:42 AM
QM
Power Poster

mousie made an excellent point. In moving to our current home, my fabrics and threads moved into drawers. Only the things I am working on at the moment are out where they can be light damaged.