Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone paid a professional to quilt your quilt together with a pattern? >

Has anyone paid a professional to quilt your quilt together with a pattern?

Has anyone paid a professional to quilt your quilt together with a pattern?

Old 09-10-2009, 11:16 AM

In answer to your question, I pay to have a professional quilt my quilts because after I have invested $200-$300 in fabric I want to have it quilted correctly. I only make Full to King size quilts using quality fabric. I figure if I am going to put that much time into a quilt then I want the best fabric and if I am using the best fabric why not use a professional to complete my creation. I could NEVER do the special quilting on my quilts. I have been VERY happy with the work and the prices charged and I know that my quilts will be around for at least a few generations because I have taken care in the purchase of fabric, thread, batting and quilting. It is just what is a matter of preference for each of us.
I would maybe have one of your quilts quilted and see what you think. I do not send out my quilts, I find a local quilter (there are plenty around if you ask) make sure you get references. Good Luck in your decision!
Old 09-10-2009, 01:36 PM

I have paid 100.00 for a king, independent dealer, 85 for a lap quilt. done at a quilting store. Everyone liked the king quilt more than the lap quilt. Course, all my quilts have embroidery designs that have to be worked around.
Insist on seeing some of their work.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:54 PM

Haven't had anything custom quilted, but I have had pantographs and stippling done and it was well worth the money. Sometimes it just "makes the quilt" pop. I do try to stipple small quilts myself, but say for a special occasio, like for a graduation or wedding, I will usually send it out. Baby quilts, I do. Really depends on size.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:27 PM

Welcome to the world of quilting! I have not used the services of a LAQ ...yet. However, I wouldn't blink an eye to turn over my future masterpiece to an experienced professional and pay the price to do it justice. That being said, what I love about quilting is that for me it is a labor of love. It is a point of pride that the entire quilt is produced from my hands. I don't have to quilt for a living, but I appreciate those who can and do. I certainly wish I had an extra $10 or $20K hanging around, not to mention the space, to indulge in a Long Arm. But, even if I did, I know I would never have the patience to deal with the "public". Many kudo's to you LA's who do! It truly takes a Professional to fill this niche and you are worth every penny. In the meantime, I am waiting on my masterpiece :roll:
Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 PM

[quote=CindyBee] "That being said, what I love about quilting is that for me it is a labor of love. It is a point of pride that the entire quilt is produced from my hands"

Ladybugquilter wrote: (sorry still getting the hang of quoting)
**That is exactly how I feel. My quilting my not be that fancy or even the most beautiful, but I can say that the quilts I make and give are made 100% by me. For myself that is important. I treasure a gift that someone made for me themselves. My hope is that my children feel the same way as they grow older. My quilts my not be fancy, but having been made entirely by myself I still feel that they have the ability to become a family heirloom.

Although I do love the looks of "professional" quilted quilts, it is just not the way for me :wink:
Old 09-11-2009, 04:04 AM

Don't forget that the quilters are often given uneven quilts, with squares that don't line up not to mention all the puckering and are still expected to be able to perform miracles and makes these quilts look good.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by sewaholic
Don't forget that the quilters are often given uneven quilts, with squares that don't line up not to mention all the puckering and are still expected to be able to perform miracles and makes these quilts look good.
You have no idea..... :wink:

Actually, I see it as a challenge and have fun with it. I had one that had an extra 4" on one border, 5" extra on the other. Where DID I put that magic wand?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:51 AM

I've had 3 quilts done by a professional, all were over $100.00 for the quilting. Then I did 2 myself on our LQS frame and realize how much is involved in the quilting. I am happy to pay a good long arm quilter to do a "special" job on my quilts. I've enjoyed learning to quilt on a frame at the shop and will do many more myself. But I'll be sending out those I want done quilckly or with extra special stitching.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:31 AM

I have a midarm (since Nov. last yr.) I did a LOT of little practic pieces and felt pretty confident inmyself. I consider myself a compitent piecer too. Well when I finally got that baby on the frame (that's a time consuming chore too) when you start quilting you find all kinds of little things that aren't just right, even, square, staying stitched, and on and on. That made me really appreciate even moreso the ones that I sent out to be done . It wasn't as easy as I thought. I told my husband that I would have charged me more than she did now that I know more about what's involved !
Old 09-11-2009, 09:06 AM
JAQ

Originally Posted by Sparky
Until then, it's an expensive hobby.
:D

From my perspective its a somewhat pricey hobby. Glassblowing - now there's an expensive hobby!!!!!!

Either way, my husband groans when he sees the cc bill...... :wink: