Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning Sewing Machine >

Cleaning Sewing Machine

Cleaning Sewing Machine

Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 PM

You can certainly use caned air- shake the can then start the spray as it is facing away from the machine- also have used toothpicks, qtips etc to snag larger wads- or even twezers if need be. It's sort of like that old saying- never stick anything smaller then your elbow in your ear- ya and don't go out with wet hair or you'll catch your death of cold. Use common sense
Old 06-09-2011, 07:45 AM

I use my brush for quick clean ups but I also have a set of miniature attachments for my vacuum that I use to do a thorough cleaning periodically.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:27 AM

I have a small battery powered vacuum (about the size of a fabric de-fuzzer), has lots of little attachments, have also used a long handled paintbrush.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:40 AM

I use a long handled make-up brush.... have for years. An eye-lash brush will fit into the tiny places where the other won't. But the very best is that bag of vacumn tools that are made for tiny places AKA insides of sewing machines. The other two and all other brushes are now demoted to quickie bobbin cleans.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:43 AM

Pipe cleaners are great!!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:06 AM

DON'T USE CAN AIR Your dealer will tell you that it will freeze your machine I use a soft paint brush (artist brush) vaccume is ok.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 PM

I just saw a tip on the Fons and Porters "Tips" portion of their show on Sunday. They had had a gal write (and send an example) of a little dental floss/brush type thing. She said it was amazing to get in around the bobbin. I happeened to have some anyway. They come in like a pack of four or five with different colored rubber like ends to hold them by.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by sistermadge
I just saw a tip on the Fons and Porters "Tips" portion of their show on Sunday. They had had a gal write (and send an example) of a little dental floss/brush type thing. She said it was amazing to get in around the bobbin. I happeened to have some anyway. They come in like a pack of four or five with different colored rubber like ends to hold them by.
Wow, whoda thunked it? :thumbup: :lol:
Old 06-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

a floss threader works for threading a stupid serger...
Old 04-27-2012, 08:44 PM

I read through several of the replies on this thread and I do understand the 'risk' of using canned air. I think it is a matter of preference and common sense. If you don't do a preliminary lint removal before using canned air, then certainly you increase your chances of blowing excess junk into unreachable areas of your machine. However... I have put a lot of mileage on my Bernina 1090 when I bought it new in 1995. I routinely oiled and lint brushed my machine as recommended all those years and NEVER have had a single malfunction on my machine! I lightly sprayed canned air into the bobbin case area and under the presser plate - the areas I couldn't reach with the brush.

Since I'm being honest here, I'll admit I never had my machine serviced or cleaned BECAUSE I'd never had any problems with it, so didn't think I needed to. When the Bernina tech cleaned my machine for the first time, 22 yrs later, he said I had a lot of lint in areas I would never have been able to get to without taking the machine apart. I asked him about using canned air, and if that might have added to the buildup and he said it wouldn't make a significant difference and I didn't need to worry about using it. The biggest concern is not spraying it so long in one area that you 'freeze' the surface you are spraying. This doesn't happen unless you are overdoing the spraying. Thus the common sense factor. If you feel the can getting cold. Stop spraying!

I have more of an issue with the Q-tip and paintbrush users. Q-tip fibers can snag and get hung up in small areas and paintbrush bristles can fall out and do the same. The pipe cleaner method seems a bit less risky in that regard. Getting oil in areas that don't require it can attract thread fiber residue buildup. I'm not keen on that idea for obvious reasons. I recently read an online tip about bending a pipe cleaner in half and poking the two ends into a coffee stirring straw. Use it awhile and then toss. They are cheap to replace. Straws are free at the coffee shop and pipe cleaners can be found easily ~ probably at the Dollar Store.

Like I said - its all about personal preference, but I thought it only fair to speak up for the canned air users. I'm not ashamed and haven't been penalized for doing so by the sewing Gods.