Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Can this needle plate be saved? >

Can this needle plate be saved?

Can this needle plate be saved?

Old 04-29-2012, 05:34 PM

Default Can this needle plate be saved?

This is the needle plate that is on the Kenmore 158.161 that I am trying to rehab. I MAY have found a replacement after weeks of looking for one. But if it doesn't work out, I may have to make do with this one. Right now it shreds thread with the first stitch. Would buffing with emery cloth or fine sandpaper do any good, or is it beyond help?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	158.161 needleplate.JPG
Views:	1575
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	331755  
Old 04-29-2012, 06:06 PM

Argh, I saw a tutorial on how to fix this somewhere... Basically, you need to get a small file and file out those nicks that are causing the thread to shred. I think there might be a sanding cord of sorts you could use? I'm not sure paper alone would do the trick; you'd be more likely to get straight ridges than a smooth surface, I think. I'll try to find the tutorial, I swear I've seen someone talk about how to fix this.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 PM

As a last resort - If you can get any jagged edges sanded down, you could cover the rest of it with some duct tape, cutting an opening for the needle. Be VERY careful, however you sand it. Metal shavings/dust can get into your eyes . . . not a good thing, at all!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 PM

Wow, that may be the worst I've seen! There may be hope though.

First off, note that if you manage to file or sand those rough spots out, particularly that large gouge in the center bottom, you will undoubtedly widen the slot. The reason the slot is as small as it is, is because if it were too large, fabric would "collapse" into the slot. So with gouges that extreme, I would not try to fix through sanding or filing, as that's a lot of work for perhaps no good result.

My suggestion would be to try something far simpler: Use tape. What you want is something to render those rough surfaces smooth so the thread doesn't snag and tear. Try cutting a strip of packing tape--or who knows, maybe even Scotch tape--the same width as the slot, then stick it through the slot and adhere it to both top and bottom of the needle plate. And do it for both the north and south sides of the slot. Hopefully you can get the tape taut enough that it creates a smooth surface without collapsing into those crags. Then (in theory) the thread will have nothing to get caught on.

I should point out that my suggestion is pure theory, I've never had to try this myself. But I figure, if you may have to throw this plate away and buy a replacement anyway, you have nothing to lose by trying a simple fix with common household items first.

If you do try it, please let us know how it turns out!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:38 PM

Hi there Oldgraymare,

I recently purchased something called Clearly Perfect Angles. It is an acrylic template to place on your sewing surface under the needle to make perfect angles. Well, it didn't work out so well for me, so I cut it up into pieces and really made a mess of it. OKAY: here is the point of all this. I have pieces of this I will mail to you at no cost. It should work perfectly for what you want. Place it in the area where the rough spots are and make a needle hole and you should be good to go. Please PM me with your address if you are interested.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:26 AM

I have a couple that look pretty much like that. First off Sew-Classic { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ }
sells special abrasive cord to polish out nicks and gouges in needle plates. I'd get some of that.
Then I'd go to somewhere like Harbor Freight and get a couple different sets of jewelers files. Some of the files are down right tiny.
Then using those I'd remove the metal that has been pushed into the needle hole. After that I'd polish the edges as best as possible without making the hole larger.
If you have a find knife sharpening stone with good corners on it you can also break the edges with that.

But even after all that work, I think the best idea is to replace the plate.

Joe
Old 05-01-2012, 05:17 AM

Incredible! Makes one wonder what the sewer was doing to abuse the needle plate like that.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

Wow. what were they using a titanium needle? That's the worse needle plate I've seen, poor liitle thing. I wonder if a soldering iron could be used to smooth the jagged parts?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:32 AM

There are small jewlery stones that can smooth the edges. We used them at work for fine tooling. Had to use a microscope because some of the nicks were so small. Never had chips or dust from the stones.
But I din't know where to buy them, Sorry.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Good morning, check ebay I found the needle plate your looking for Kenmore 158 sewing machine needle plate. Looks like yours Hope this helps. sharon